SHAD 46 Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herkypilot

Reaction score
I'm sure others have posted on this (Bobthebuilder), but here are some more install pics:

Parts: I ordered from Adventuremoto and paid about $310 for the 46, brake light kit, backrest and shipping. The shipping ended up getting all FUBAR by FedEx. They lost the package - it never showed up anywhere after Orlando, FL, so I had to wait 14 days until FedEx made up their minds that it was lost. They reimbursed Adventuremoto and Claudio sent me a new order as soon as FedEx fess'ed up to the screw-up. Anyhow, I've got it now and it's mounted and ready for EOM.

Here's a pic of all the items I received. The base plate comes in two pieces - the upper is hard plastic that is mounted to the lower steel base plate by three phillip's screws.

IMG_0450.jpg

I preped the rack on the FJR with some foam strips.

IMG_0455.jpg

Covered the 4 brackets with some very large shrink tubing that I bought a while back from Harbour Freight. This provided some protection for the paint.

IMG_0454.jpg

Here's the steel backing plate fitted up to the FJR rack.

IMG_0458.jpg

The brackets fitted up to the plate. I made sure here that the plate was centered up the best I could. Also, it would be a good idea to test-fit all items together to determine the proper position for the box fore & aft as there is some adjustability before you tighten up the brackets.

IMG_0461.jpg

The box installed.

IMG_0466.jpg

The light kit takes about twice as long to install then the box it's self as the instructions are a bit rough to understand. The basic idea is that you have to remove the 5 screws inside the upper lid to remove the reflector panel on the outside. The indentation for the brake light module is pre-formed in the lid. Attach the short wires (green & black) to the two tabs on the light module. Then drill out the plastic on the two pre-postioned indentations on the upper lid. Two metal tabs are afixed to the inside of the upper lid and the two wires from the module are attached to these two tabs that stick down.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

You create two contacts on the lower trunk by inserting two more wires in the pre-molded slots with the nuts and bolts provided. These two wires then run down to the center of the box base where there are two more pre-molded spots to be drilled out and insert two more nuts/bolts to provide the base contacts.

IMG_0472.jpg

These Contacts are used by the base plate to make contact with the two tabs that are installed here:

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

The kit comes with all the wires you need. The base plate wire has enough length to feed up under the Pillion seat and connect to the yellow brake wire. I had a spare wire on my brake light modulator that I used to make the light flash at a different rate then the bike brake lights - it should be a real attention getter!

PM me if you need some clerification.

Herkypilot

Herkypilot,

Howdy. Great looking Shad Case there. I purchased the Shad 48L a few weeks back and love it. As we speak, I am getting it painted (top half of it) to match my 06 AE at a local body shop. They charged me $70.00 to paint it. Btw...not to gouge you...but, I paid $270 for my 48L shipped. Maybe I caught Mike @ www.cosmotor.com on a good day?

When I pick the bike up tomorrow or Thursday (12 or 13 Sep), I will take some pictures of it and post them.

Did you fly Chuck 130s by chance? If you did, I have fallen out of many a one. If not, disregard.

Take care and again...great looking case you have there and love your ride. Nice set up!

Rex

RLTW!!

Great write up and nice photo's.

These will come in handy when my Shad48 arrives next week.

rangerk9....I am going to do the exact same thing....have the lid painted the same colour as the bike. Not having sighted the surface of the lid of the 48 yet, I will be interested if you can post some images of the finished product. If not...pm me for an email address. And as for getting a price from cosmotor.com...let's just say that you should be happy they communicated with you. Enough said.

As for spending time in ye olde Herky Bird....I had my fair share of hours in the C130's with the RAAF. Nothing fancy...just flying around on milk runs from base to base. I could never work out why guys would want to jump from a perfectly serviceable aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I currently fly the Herk and have for about 20 years. I didn't get a top plate so no paint for me. This will just be used for trips. Cosmo didn't have a 46 in stock and couldn't tell me when they would get one. I needed mine for EOM and would have had it sooner if FedEx didn't drop the ball. We'll see how it works this weekend.

Herkypilot

Great write up and nice photo's.
These will come in handy when my Shad48 arrives next week.

rangerk9....I am going to do the exact same thing....have the lid painted the same colour as the bike. Not having sighted the surface of the lid of the 48 yet, I will be interested if you can post some images of the finished product. If not...pm me for an email address. And as for getting a price from cosmotor.com...let's just say that you should be happy they communciated with you. Enough said.

As for spending time in ye olde Herky Bird....I had my fair share of hours in the C130's with the RAAF. Nothing fancy...just flying around on milk runs from base to base. I could never work out why guys would want to jump from a perfectly serviceable aircraft.
FJR Steve,

Mate, <SALUTE> to you for your RAAF time. I worked with the Aussies quite a bit over in Iraq. You all are top notch folks!

We unfortunately lost an RAF C-130 and crew from our Task Force near Balad, Iraq. I appreciate your service.

Here are the pics of my new Shad Case installed and painted (along with a few others):

P1000726.jpg

P1000731.jpg

P1000728.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000732.jpg

P1000730.jpg

P1000734.jpg

Cheers!

V/R

Rex

P.S. Ok...ODOT...slam me for my clean bike bro! ;-) When we going to ride my man?

RLTW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranger -

That paint job came out pretty nice! Did you get the brake light kit also? That was included in the price I posted above. I'm SURE its way over-priced considering what I received for it...there's not much to it!

Herkypilot

Ranger -
That paint job came out pretty nice! Did you get the brake light kit also? That was included in the price I posted above. I'm SURE its way over-priced considering what I received for it...there's not much to it!

Herkypilot

Herky,

Thanks. Rog on the brake light. Mike charged me $20 for the kit (part of the $270 package). Like I said, I must have caught him on a good day. He did mention something about being out of 46s (which is what I wanted) and that he would discount the backrest, case and brake light kit.

I think the Shad Case is a great value. I am not of the contention that it is the best out there in terms of quality, but bang for the buck it has. I am very pleased with mine.

Take care and keep the dirty side down!

Rex

RLTW!!

Great write up and photos! :yahoo: I did many of the same things you did when I installed my 46 (including the inner tube pieces slid over their clips). It mounts solidly to the OEM rack, which is one of the reasons I chose it over the GIVI.

I didn't buy the brake light kit with mine, but now I wish I had. It looks like they did a slick job with the wiring so that you don't have to disconnect it separately when you take the case off the rack. How does it work in practice? Does it add visibility to your hind end, or is it more "show" than "go"?

Great write up and photos! :yahoo: I did many of the same things you did when I installed my 46 (including the inner tube pieces slid over their clips). It mounts solidly to the OEM rack, which is one of the reasons I chose it over the GIVI.
I didn't buy the brake light kit with mine, but now I wish I had. It looks like they did a slick job with the wiring so that you don't have to disconnect it separately when you take the case off the rack. How does it work in practice? Does it add visibility to your hind end, or is it more "show" than "go"?
I think the light kit adds a good bit to your visibility, especially since the box hangs over the tail a bit. It's bright and mine is hooked to the my tail light modulator which had an extra wire for a different flash rate. I hooked it up to that so the box flash is different then the brake lights. It's bound to get the cagers attention.

Herkypilot

So just to clarify, there is no drilling involved for the Shad 46L correct?

I am pretty close to buying one, but I read another post that made it sound like holes needed to be drilled, and I'm really not wanting to drill into my new 08...

So those clamps do a sufficient job of securing the base plate to the stock rearend?

Even with a a passenger using the box as a backrest?

Thanks in advance for any insight...