SHAD SH50 Trunk Install on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger9650

Reaction score
Installed the SHAD 50L Trunk on my bike a couple a weeks ago. I wanted it to match the bike, so I bought the virgin paintable cover and painted it on Sunday to match the bike. I thought it turned out pretty good, so I thought I would post a couple pics.

I purchased the SHAD specific mount for the FJR. It is made of heavy steel and is powder coated black. You just remove the three factory bolts on the OEM rack, place the new mount, and install the longer supplied bolts. Took about 5 minutes to put on. Cost is only $48, about 1/3 of the cost for the Givi mount.

The case comes with the mounting base that attaches to the bike specific mount. It uses just four bolts. The install takes about 15 minutes.

I like the SHAD case better than the Givi's on my Tiger 800XC. You can open and close without putting the key in every time like the Givi.

Quality is every bit as good and the price is better. The case also includes the backrest.

I used color match paint from "Touch up direct"

One coat of plastic primer, two coats of base, two coats of 2K Clear (Catalyst type, gas and chemical resistant)

The finish has not been touched, since the second coat of clear. It turned out really good.

Looks great , how much did the shad 50 and bracket cost and where did you get it ? Im coming to the US in a few weeks and want to pick one up for one of my FJR as one has a factory top box but they are about $1500 downunder ( yes they screw us on price ).

The case comes with the mounting base that attaches to the bike specific mount. It uses just four bolts. The install takes about 15 minutes.
I like the SHAD case better than the Givi's on my Tiger 800XC. You can open and close without putting the key in every time like the Givi.
The way you wrote that it sounds like the case is bolted in place. I'm assuming it is a quick release like the Givi's?

Bungie,

You mount the bike specific steel mount to the bike. You then mount the attachment plate for the case to the bike specific steel plate.

You are correct, the case quick releases to the attachment plate just like the Givi.

Looks great , how much did the shad 50 and bracket cost and where did you get it ? Im coming to the US in a few weeks and want to pick one up for one of my FJR as one has a factory top box but they are about $1500 downunder ( yes they screw us on price ).
Graham,

I purchased mount $50 and case for $310 from Shop HMS with free shipping.

https://www.shophms.com/shad-50l-top-case-aba-0ss56-22-21-p/aba-0ss56-22-21.htm

I purchased the virgin paintable lid cover from www.cycleluggage.com $39+shipping

I have the identical set up with one exception. I left my top case in the original matte black condition (sans color plate) to match the other accents, trim and rims on the bike. I do have a blue color plate from my 2005 FJR setup. I have thought about having it painted to match the 2013 but I'd booger it up beyond belief if I tried to do it myself.

Your bike looks great. The SHAD 50 case is the shiznit.

Nice case, I have one myself!

ndivita, do you notice that the matte black shows fingerprints badly? Shad forgot to send my silver cover with mine and while I waited on it to come mine got covered with very visible fingerprints from shutting it.

I like the color matched plate. I've considered getting one and sending it to gerald to get painted but on mine it's almost close enough that most folks think it does match. Of course it's painfully obvious to the owner that it doesn't match.
biggrin.png

I would suggest being careful about overloading it. You said the mount was steel, but that's just a plate that bolts to the FJR's stock rack. You're still loading the rear subframe with only the plastic grab handles for reinforcement. Shad's steel mount plate may be plenty strong to hold onto the case, but it does not reinforce the underlying structure of the bike the way the Givi mount does.

If you haven't seen inside the bodywork, there is no metal structure under the top case. It's suspended out in space behind the bike's actual rear frame.

All that said, that's a nice-looking case, for sure. I like the color lid much better than the generic matte black.

I do understand how the sub frame is made. The case mounts very solid, but you still have to be carefully of how much weight you put in the case.

I actually painted the plate using rattle cans from touch up direct. I had no idea how good this paint and clear coat is. The nozzles on these cans can give you professional result, as you can see. If any one saw this plate they would never think it was not painted with a gravity feed quality gun.

Nice case, I have one myself!
ndivita, do you notice that the matte black shows fingerprints badly? Shad forgot to send my silver cover with mine and while I waited on it to come mine got covered with very visible fingerprints from shutting it.

I like the color matched plate. I've considered getting one and sending it to gerald to get painted but on mine it's almost close enough that most folks think it does match. Of course it's painfully obvious to the owner that it doesn't match.
biggrin.png
It does indeed smudge. But then again I worry less about scratching it and Plexus cleans it up nicely.