shaft oil... tried searching.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoggy

Reaction score
what is the shaft oil? I have seen 80w-90 gl5. is this correct?

i found 2 kinds. gl5/mt2 and gl5.

the mt2 says for limited slip. this sounds bad.

im not going to the fuckwads at the stealership so use yamaha lube wont help.

One assumes you mean "final drive" oil/gear oil. (Yeah, I know, Yamaha probably calls their precious synthetic lube "drive shaft oil".)

The general opinion over the years is the same as engine oil. Use what you want and change it at the specified intervals. There are owners here on all sides and of every opionion as to what's "best". In the final analysis, I doubt it makes a vast difference.

Lookie Here

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Mobil 1 final gear oil 130wt, I change it when I change eng oil.

I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday to buy some final drive lube that the service manual specifies for the FJR. It seems they don't even stock it. They do have some Yamalube diff oil, 80w-90 GL4,GL5, but not what the FSM says to use. The parts guy said they just use "Honda" gear oil in the shop.

I checked in the Bin-O-Facts for oils and went with Mobil-1 75w-140 LS gear oil. I figure this should be as good anything Yamaha is selling.

It was $16.00/qt at the local autoparts store. The last time I bought the factory stuff it cost me $34.95 for a 500ml bottle.

Hope this helps.

I use Redline 75-90 synthetic because that is what was on the shelf at the local store. You could probably use engine oil and be OK but I wouldn't.

I don't/wouldn't use the high weight oils (130/140 top number oils). Since Yamaha recommends top weight at 90 I think I would stick to this. Personnally I use Castrol Syntheitic 75/90.

I would offer a suggestion, but I couldn't get past Cavy's avatar. I really, really, like wine and that is a great looking rack!

So the mt2 with limited slip is ok then? I bought some valvoline and was about to put it in and saw that and got scared. I don't think I want slipping in there. So I went back and bought the only one that didn't list limited slipping, a coastal oil 80w-90 gl5, no mt2 spec. Never heard of Coastal but ok. I road about 200 miles today with the coastal stuff. The pumpkin got really hot. Luckily there was another FJR there and he had yamy oil, his pumpkin was hot too.

I didn't see a rack in Cavy's avatar. Probably just target fixation.

what is the shaft oil?

Available at finer drug stores everywhere :rolleyes:

k_y_yours_mine_couples_lubricant__94037_zoom.jpg

So the mt2 with limited slip is ok then? I bought some valvoline and was about to put it in and saw that and got scared. I don't think I want slipping in there. So I went back and bought the only one that didn't list limited slipping, a coastal oil 80w-90 gl5, no mt2 spec. Never heard of Coastal but ok. I road about 200 miles today with the coastal stuff. The pumpkin got really hot. Luckily there was another FJR there and he had yamy oil, his pumpkin was hot too.

I didn't see a rack in Cavy's avatar. Probably just target fixation.
There's nothing in your final drive that can "slip" without breaking. The "limited slip" part on that bottle is referring to a limited slip differential on a car or truck which if it's a clutch type limited slip requires a friction additive for the limited slip diff to work properly. You probably wouldn't hurt anything running a limited slip speced oil in there but there's no need for that additive on a motorcycle's final drive as there is no limited slip in there. The stuff labeled as "MT" is for manual transmission vehicles for use in the the transmission. They usually also pack some kind of friction additive for the synchronizers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanical_device%29

Some light reading so you will have some idea about what you are looking at when reading those bottles if you don't know a lot of it might as well be greek.

Since this is a newish thread and people are seeing it

near the top I think it's safe to jack this thread

for a quick second...

When I pulled the plug out of mine the other day

the gear oil was black and stunk to high hell. Such

a foul odor I gagged!

I drained it and filled it back up with Mobil1 Synth 75/90

which, as most know, is a very clear, by comparision, color.

So the question is, does the lube always come out pitch black

like that when ya'll change your's? Or is this just a byproduct of

whatever is causing my leaking problem?

for a quick second...

a foul odor I gagged!

when i opened my pumpkin, the oil didnt smell bad i didnt stick my nose in it but... It almost looked a greenish/gray color. My bike only has 4000 miles so.

When I pulled the plug out of mine the other day the gear oil was black and stunk to high hell. Such a foul odor I gagged!I drained it and filled it back up with Mobil1 Synth 75/90 which, as most know, is a very clear, by comparision, color.

So the question is, does the lube always come out pitch black like that when ya'll change your's? Or is this just a byproduct of whatever is causing my leaking problem?
when i opened my pumpkin, the oil didnt smell bad i didnt stick my nose in it but... It almost looked a greenish/gray color. My bike only has 4000 miles so.
The important thing in/about rear-end lube (sliding hypoid gear teeth) is EP additive:

"EP, or Extreme Pressure additives minimize metal-to-metal contact. EP additives in lubricants chemically react under pressure and elevated temperatures with the metal in gears to form a protective film and prevent this metal-to-metal contact.

EP additives are mostly made up of Chlorine, Sulfur, Phosphorous, Zinc and Lead compounds. Due to environmental concerns, Lead is for the most part gone and Chlorine is only used in limited applications."

In the old-days, a common EP additive was Lead-Napthenate -- and it smelled horrible.

I'd say: the better rear-end lubes would smell the worst.

If in doubt -- Yamaha sells an FJR-specific rear-drive lube.

The important thing in/about rear-end lube (sliding hypoid gear teeth) is EP additive:

"EP, or Extreme Pressure additives minimize metal-to-metal contact. EP additives in lubricants chemically react under pressure and elevated temperatures with the metal in gears to form a protective film and prevent this metal-to-metal contact.

EP additives are mostly made up of Chlorine, Sulfur, Phosphorous, Zinc and Lead compounds. Due to environmental concerns, Lead is for the most part gone and Chlorine is only used in limited applications."

In the old-days, a common EP additive was Lead-Napthenate -- and it smelled horrible.

I'd say: the better rear-end lubes would smell the worst.
I've been working on cars or motorcycles since I was a teen, and I believe I finally know the answer to the mystery of why gear lube has always smelled so gawd-awful compared to nearly all other common lubricants! Thanks for the explanation.

for a quick second...

a foul odor I gagged!

Yes, there is a reason. It has been supposed (here on the forum) that Yamaha uses some special additive when they fill them. It's usually black and at first (remember I go back a few years in FJR ownership time) owners were worried.

Not a problem, simply refill with whatever lubricating fluid you desire......except Barry's choice....but then, he uses that stuff on date nights with his "girls".

"Baa-aaa-aaarry!"