Shifting problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisk7

Reaction score
Well I am finally having my first problem with the 05 FJR. I have 32K on it and it isn't wanting to go back down into 1st gear from 2nd when coming to a stop.

I suspect that the shifting fork is bent but I'm scratching my head on this one.

Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea of what it is?

Any idea what it's going to cost to fix?

The bike isn't under warranty any longer that I know of. I can get the engine out and apart as long as no real special tools are required but I don't know if I should mess with it or just look for another engine out of a wrecked bike.

Any ideas or suggestions?

First thing is to pull the WHOLE shifter linkage assembly, foot peg & all, don't wuss out, ya have to pull it all off. Now clean and lube. This is often a miracle cure. In the unlikely event you still have a problem you will have at least eliminated the inexpensive and comparatively simple to fix issue, besides this should be standard maintenance. If it does fix your problem start thinking about your brake peddle on the other side, it needs the same level of maintenance. Dragging brakes aren't a good thing.

I'm almost positive this will fix your shift problem, no matter how silly it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Ionbeam said is +1.

AND, if you DO need a new shift fork, it's a lot cheaper than even a used motor. 3 of 'em in the gearbox, $64 to $130.

Look HERE.

Let me add one more ridiculously simple and inexpensive thing to try: Change your oil.

If you haven't done it for a while you may find that your shifting gets smoother in all changes. I ran the last batch of RotellaT full syn for ~5k miles and the shifting was getting notchy. Changing the oil, and using Rotella T non-syn smoothed it right out.

If you just did change it, try using something else for oil.

+ for changing the oil and dissasembly and adjustment of the shift arm.

It worked wonders on my '05 that had the same 'problem' Turned out the shift linkage was just in need of a good cleaning and adjustment.

Boy thats quick service guy's. Thanks for the tips and info. These forums are a great asset.

It is a little over due for an oil change. I think it has around 4200 miles on this oil. The last time I changed it I put some Mobil 1 syn. in it I think. I had been running Delo 400. Maybe I should have stuck with the non-synthetic oil too.

I have never had the linkage apart so it very well, and hopefully will be the only problem.

I tear into it and keep you posted.

Well I took the foot peg/frame piece off and lubed up the pivot and everything works and shifts perfectly again. Can't believe it was soooo simple. I would have sworn that it was in the tranny by the way it felt. The sticky pivot wasn't letting the shifter arm ratchet all the way back for the shift drum inside to work properly.

Can't believe how nice this thing shifts now. It was bad for some time, just didn't notice it as it got progressively worse till it didn't want to go into first gear.

Better check and lube the brake side next. Maybe that's why the bike will only get up to around 160 mph. Maybe the brake is dragging, ha.

Well I took the foot peg/frame piece off and lubed up the pivot and everything works and shifts perfectly again. Can't believe it was soooo simple. I would have sworn that it was in the tranny by the way it felt...Can't believe how nice this thing shifts now. It was bad for some time, just didn't notice it as it got progressively worse till it didn't want to go into first gear.
Better check and lube the brake side next. Maybe that's why the bike will only get up to around 160 mph. Maybe the brake is dragging, ha.
Very cool!!! Glad for ya. Often it is the simple things in life B)

And ya, get after that damn rear brake lever... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual this forum has all the answers! I too have been having problems from 2nd to 1st. In fact when I first start her up, even waiting for at least two bars on the temp. I then shift to first and it has a huge clunk and she wants to jump forward!! I am thinking tranny problems with only 10K. After reading the suggestions I took off the side casing and cleaned the linkage. I didn't remove the driver peg though :glare:

Took it for a quick spin and all is well! No more lurching forward when I first start off too. She is as smooth as a baby's butt sort of speaking...

Thanks once again!!