Shit, that was a cold ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCage

formerly SouthernFJR
Reaction score
I don't want this to turn into a "Yeah, well, I've ridden in zero degrees Kelvin before" one-upmanship... but 22 degrees for a Souithern boy w/o heated gear is colder than a witches tit in a brass bra. I saw the excellent advise by Bruno in the other thread... but really, I just need something for my head, hands, and for my shield not to fog up. I'm thinking maybe a balaklava and glove liners... Any suggestions? :cold:

Starting with your head...here is a balaklava you can get at REI that works great with a helmet. Thin on top, thicker on the bottom. I've tried a couple others, this is my fav. (The one I got 3 years ago was made in USA, but this add says 'imported"--so don't know if the quality is same.)

Seirus Thick & Thin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been riding between 18 and 30F for an hour each way to work. If you do this on a regular basis you'll need heated vest, gloves (heated grips are not enough for me). If I ride any longer than an hour, add heated socks.

I have been riding between 18 and 30F for an hour each way to work. If you do this on a regular basis you'll need heated vest, gloves (heated grips are not enough for me). If I ride any longer than an hour, add heated socks.
I love these suggestions but for someone with no outlets and no gear being more specific would help.

Websites for the products.

What is needed for power.

Procedures for hookup?

All good info for this thread...

Thanks

1967%20Cadillac%20120401-4.jpg

You need electrically generated HEAT!. Widder and Gerbing both make high quality stuff.

A Google search came up with this link for power socket products by Powerlet. OK, I lied...I didn't have to do a Google search!

Once you have a power source and gear, consider controlling them with a Heat-troller that you can see here. TIP: If you order a Gerbing heated jacket liner, ask for the no cost option of having it "wired dual", and the dual Heat-troller will control your liner and gloves at the same time at separate heat levels.

Thanks for listening to this obviously commercial rant. BTW, once you have heated gear, you will wonder why you never had it before. Kind of like how you feel after you get a TiVo! :D :D :D

Ok, at the risk of hijacking a thread which is not my intention.

With the power outlet that seems to be a cigarette lighter connection. Heated gear, radar detector and cell phone can obviously get power directly plugged in with an adapter for radar and cell phone.

Then does say a XM radio, MP3 player also have connections that can also be plugged into this same type of outlet?

Edited for stupidity!!!

I don't take long rides when it's this cold... it doesn't stay cold that long in Birmingham. So... I'm getting the balaklava Yambone suggested... sounds like he's already experimented with different types. The Cat Crap sounds like good shit (pun intended). Newenough has some glove liners I'll also purchase.

Thanks Bro's.

Without power, as I am, and with a ride to work of 8 miles, I have found that a scarf and gauntlet gloves helps quite a bit. What you want to do it try to avoid air infiltration at the creases, i.e. head/neck, cuff of jacket/gloves, boots/pant leg, etc. This morning was 29 degrees in Charleston, SC and I really wasn't that uncomfortable on my ride in. If my ride were, say double, it might be time to look into heated gloves or grips.

Check out this thread for info on the Foggy Face Guard.

I also recently acquired some fleece garments (see below) to wear under my Gore-Tex lined suit. Very nice! No long, cold rides yet but I'm not afraid of the next one. Now I just need some good boots and I'll be set.

Pants

Jacket

I found fitting handguards ups your hand temperature by quite a lot. Since fitting them I havent used my inner gloves at all .So much easier to ride with just one pair of gloves. I think I will have to add the feet protectors next and no extra use of electricity at all.

The handguards were the BMW 1150GS ,cheaper than the Vstrom !

very nice caddy ........ is that original paint . i myself like the 76 sedan de ville back seat is like sitting on a sofa you could even fold your legs

No matter where you came from, spend a few summers in Tejas and your blood turns to water. Take the Caddy Clyde, it's got heat.

Gotta keep the fingers and head/ neck warm or it's shiver city. Yes I rode in Wisconsin snow when I was young......had no choice.

I don't ride if the temp less than 45, But I would drive my 66 or 68 Caddy if I still had them.

IMAGE0011.jpg

IMAGE0012.jpg