Shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schurke

Reaction score
I am a fairly new FJR owner (05). When I ride over bumps in the road there is a rattling noise coming from the front of the bike. Can't tell if it is coming from the forks or the dash area. I think it is coming from the front forks. Anyone else having similar noises coming from their bikes? I have 2,000 miles on the bike.

Sounds like classic lack of proper torque of the steering stem. Probably right from the crate, given the bike's history.

Torquing to specs should eliminate the problem.

Warchild,

Your assessment of the problem was "dead on". I checked the nut & it wasn't even finger tight. I owe you one.

Per chance, would you happen to know the torque value required? I checked the owners manual & could not find any info.

Oooh. I've been itching to try this link out. Check out Ignacio's Bin O' Facts and I have those torques and a spiffy link to help you out.

(hope you have the tool....that's another subject)

Warchild,

My initial assessment was wrong. The "cap" was not tight, which was what I thought you meant. I still think you are right about the problem. Thx again.

Thanks for the "numbers" page. Good stuff!!!  I see what you mean about the tools required.
I do remember some folks with alternatives to the factory tool. I would suggest some judicious searching on "spanner"....or take her back to the dealership since I would think this might be a warranty thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd check every nut and bolt on the front end, too. IIRC, some were posting, a year or more ago, loose or missing fender bolts.

loose steering stem is usually more of a clunk. brale rotors tend to be more of a rattley noise

I'd check every nut and bolt on the front end, too. IIRC, some were posting, a year or more ago, loose or missing fender bolts.
And valves too. There've been some reports of those coming loose as well. ;)

I found that my metal battery retainer bracket was loose and causing a rattle from the front end. And a thunk from the battery on a good bump. Don't know how many times I checked the front forks, etc. before finally finding this.

Took the FJ to the shop today. Here's what they found....

Upper steering head nut was loose. After finding that, they decided to check the entire assembly. So it was dis-assembled & then re-assembled and every nut & bolt was torqued to specs. RESULTS: No Rattles

They are submitting a warranty claim for the labor. :)