Shoei RF-1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
I went to my local dealer to inquire abt a Shoei RF 1000 helmet. He doesn't carry them but can get one. I told him my head circumference is 23 1/2 inches and asked what size would he recommend. He said they run "small" so order a larger size than you think you need.

I went home, checked several sizing charts on sites on the internet and looks like I need either a MEDIUM or a LARGE or an XLARGE. Now I'm totally confused.

Can someone tell me their sizing experience w/ a Shoei helmet? I'm inclined to get a "large" but w/ the dealer's comments, I may need to get an XL.

Thanx.

P.S. I'm replacing an HJC flip-face helmet. A friend of mine went down on his bike and the flip-face popped open on first impact. His only injuries were a bruise to the inside of his right knee (bike?) and road rash on his nose and chin. He told me to get rid of my flip face.

My hat size is 7-3/4, but I use an XL RF1000. A lot has to do with the shape of your head. If it's pointy like Skooter's, your shit outta luck...

My head circumference is 23 1/4 inches. My RF 1000 is a size L. Helmet fit is very dependent on the size and shape of YOUR head. Be sure your dealer will let you return it if the fit is not right.

Also take into consideration that once your new helmet gets broken in, it won't fit as tight. I have a size Large RF1000 that was real tight when I bought it but is loose after a year of use as the padding compresses . I agree with Thug, go find one somewhere and try it on before buying. :agent:

My noodle hat size is 7 1/4 and my RF 1000 is a medium. I've got an oval vice a beach ball shaped head.

Mine same as JimLor - I have the RF1000 medium - after a year it still feels just right. But follow the lead - try on before you buy or have a return policy. :p

I have an RF1000 also. My head size is 22 3/4 inches with a roundish type head. I bought a large and the fit is very good. It is three years old and fit has loosened only slightly with still a good snug fit.

Just got the Shoei RF1000 from Tonka -- got the "Voltage" model in Blue. Just about a perfect match for the 05's. Have same 23 1/2" head and the XL fits perfectly. Previously had the HJC full coverage in XL and fit is the same. The Shoei looks great. Jay

I have a huge cranium. Big feet and hands too... :D

Shoei XXL fits me well. But helmet fit is very subjective. Find a local shop. Cyclegear is a great shop to try stuff on. I know that there are stores in Madison and Knoxville.

Clicky

Thanx for all the comments and advice.

I went to another local bike shop today...one that actually had Shoei helmets in stock and tried on a Large...too tight for my 23 1/2" head. No XL in stock so I tried an XL in a couple of other brands and ended up ordering a Shoei RF 1000 Zemke TC-2. Sales guy matched the best price I had seen on the internet w/out me asking for it. Pretty awesome customer service.

Again, thanx for all who replied to my question.

Helmet will be in next Tuesday...pics to follow soon after that.

New Shoei helmet pics as promised...not quite a perfect match but pretty close.

Shoei1.jpg

Shoei2.jpg

Brazos - off topic...I live in northern VA and am looking for a reasonable overnight trip for the wife and I. I'm looking at TN. Where might you recommend for a day trip to, overnight, and day trip home to VA. Thanks.