Shorai battery install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good thread.

However, I wonder if my OPTIMATE charger automatically desulphates every time it tends??? I thought it did that only when detecting a sulphated battery. Too bad for me if it does...cuz this new battery is very intriguing.
I have an Optimate charger as well, and as I understand it , it has the automatic desulfation mode that Shoria says not to use.
Just in case anyone cares, I have a couple of charger/maintainers in addition to an old-style "dumb" battery charger, and wanted to find out if either of the "smart" ones had a de-sulfation mode, which would make them unsuitable to use with the Shorai Lithium-Iron batteries.

#1: Schumacher Battery Charger/Maintainer — 1.5 Amp, Model# SEM-1562A

167826_lg.jpg

According to the Manual #: 00-99-000922-1009 for # SEM-1562A, this charger DOES have a de-sulfation mode, so it should NOT be used with a Shorai Lithium-Iron battery. But I do like this charger, it seems well made and works fine for topping up conventional and AGM/VRLA batteries.

#2: Battery Doc Rainproof Battery Charger SDS012-0002(P)

rainpr.jpg

I spoke to Tim in WirthCo Engineering's customer service and asked if this device had a de-sulphation mode. He told me it did not, and started to tell me about their other models that did have that feature. He was surprised when I told him I did NOT want de-sulphation, and asked why. He had not heard of Shorai but was very interested in their batteries and said he would check their website out and get back to me. I won this little charger at an engineering trade show, and I have had occasion to call them with technical questions a couple of times now. I can say I recommend them highly, they have been helpful and willing to dig into questions like this and call me back- a rarity in today's world where companies can't wait to get rid of you on the phone. Maybe it's because they are a nice Minnesota based company. :)

After all that, more to the point- ask yourself if you really need a battery maintainer at all. In fact, with AGM or VRLA batteries, I generally find that they do not need a battery maintainer for storage during the cold winter months, due to their superior self-discharge characteristics compared to conventional batteries (check out

Yuasa's very good technical manual to see why). If your bike has accessories or an alarm that drains the battery your experience will vary. If I do buy one of the Shorai batteries I very much doubt I will need to use a battery charger on it, ever. Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone.

From Shorai's FAQ:

Q. Should I use a battery tender?

A.The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.

A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.

Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.

Hey guys, this really does seem like a worthwhile idea for the FJR where our batteries are up so high, and the OEM batteries are so marginal in cranking amp capacity. I'll look forward to further reports on them and also on how Brodie uses that extra space.

Oh, and here's a photo assist for that first post so you can see the important details better:

ShoCalDec2010-1000.jpg
Nice photo, but what the hell is wrong with the girl's teeth on the left? She must be British.

[quote name='UselessPickles'

. Don't forget the additional 10hp that you'll think you'll feel because of the new sound of the exhaust

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie (or any other adopters) keep those reviews coming!

5 years on my original battery so I am looking to change before I am forced into it, in the dark, in thed cold, in... This battery looks like a cool idea. The extra cost, if it gives me more, might be allright. And don't forget, a higher amp hour ratiing means that if you should need to keep the lights on without the bike running, you may get a bit more time. It could happen, in the dark, in the cold, in....

mr.paul, waiting just a bit longer before ordering one too.

Well coome on brodie! It's been over two months since your last report, how's it holding up in the cold, that's the big concern (aside from longevity).

Well coome on brodie! It's been over two months since your last report, how's it holding up in the cold, that's the big concern (aside from longevity).
All right Bluesy, heres my update...

No change in the standing voltage - 13.3 ~ 13.4 volts after a night in a chilly garage. Still fires right up after an energetic spin. Since the initial install outside the Shorai World Headquarters (inconspicuous warehouse in Sunnyvale California), it has never seen the battery tender.
Shown is the rather busy spaghetti nest of wires above the battery...

5935a828.jpg

I intend to have this Fuze block installed and fully functional by the beginning of summer...

7d627cfd.jpg

People keep talking about the 8 lb. weight savings, I could really care less about that. I bought it for the enhanced performance, increased capacity, but mostly for its diminutive size. The open space inside the Gen. 2 tupperware comes at a premium. This bonus space will be put to good use.

tongue.gif

Brodie

So I finally got around to installing this little beauty that's been sitting in my 40 degree back entry for the last month or two. Took the bike for a 40 minute ride around the block and WOW! Top speed has increased to 192 MPH, fuel economy is now 62.3, my stomach is flatter, thighs slimmer, and it cures cancer in rats!. The loss in weight enabled me to go to The Bright Side, and I'm able to run bicycle tires!

It replaced the factory Yuasa in my 2004. Oh yeah, the bike started just fine, too.

So I finally got around to installing this little beauty that's been sitting in my 40 degree back entry for the last month or two. Took the bike for a 40 minute ride around the block and WOW! Top speed has increased to 192 MPH, fuel economy is now 62.3, my stomach is flatter, thighs slimmer, and it cures cancer in rats!. The loss in weight enabled me to go to The Bright Side, and I'm able to run bicycle tires!

It replaced the factory Yuasa in my 2004. Oh yeah, the bike started just fine, too.
All that may still not make me want to buy one - now if could make a sandwich too. . . . :p

I have the '06 AE model. I shut the bike off on a mountain pass in Oregon last Saturday, ambient temp about 40 F. I took a few pictures and 20 minutes later the bike wouldn't turn over. I got a "shift" message in the display with an error code. I knew my battery was toast because it is the original and it had hesitated on startup earlier that day. Guess what, with the AE model you need plenty of juice to activate the clutch servo and I wasn't getting it. No push starting this baby. I need jumper cables. I got a jump from a passing SUV driver and was on my way. So after reading about the Shorai battery in MCN (April '11 innovations back page)I am looking for one. I really appreciate the photo effort on the field installation Brodie. Thank you!

I appreciate the input on weight savings too. I rarely fill the gastank less than full when traveling, and loaded with luggage the bike is a little top heavy. The eight pound weight savings will be welcomed and may prevent one of those foot-slip-can't-recover-bike-drop situations from happening. Hasen't yet, but ya never know.

Great thread..

Shorai is outa stock right now...bummer.

-Sirby

...Great thread..

Shorai is outa stock right now...bummer.
Shorai is addressing cable terminals that are not as robust as they should be. Engineering time, parts purchasing, manufacturing time and shipping. It is hard to say when they will be back on the shelves or in what quantity.

Shorai's web site says:

UPDATED Stock Delay Announcement

Thanks for your patience everyone. We had expected stock arrival on April 25th, but hit a delay of about 10 additional days due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. As such, we expect new stock arrival to our Sunnyvale warehouse between May 4th and May 7th. Hang in there!.

We apologize for the delay. In the long run, we believe that continuing to improve the best powersports battery can only be a good thing for all. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

So, keep checking the Shorai web site and click on the News tab.

Where is your homework? The earthquake and tsunami ate it.

Hey Brodie, good of you to take such detailed photos. Any chance of getting a measurement of that newly-available cavity???

I mean, you know, available SPACE on a Gen-II. Holy electrons Batman!!!

Since my old original YUASA is just about done now after 5 years, I ordered a LFX14A1-BS12 for $139 shipped this last weekend (through Superbikesupply). That's the same size as Brodies (5.83"Lx2.6"Wx4.13"H), but still lighter at 1.83lbs. It still has a rating of 210CCA (vs. 270CCA), and since I rarely run anything besides the GPS of the bike's power output I figure that's plenty for me. The latest on shipping from Shorai is May 14th through 19th.

Brodie, thank you so much for your post!!! I had seen Bluesman's first post about these, but without your trailblazing I would have bought yet another boring lead acid battery...yuck. :rolleyes:

Hey Brodie, good of you to take such detailed photos. Any chance of getting a measurement of that newly-available cavity???

I mean, you know, available SPACE on a Gen-II. Holy electrons Batman!!!
Hi Jeff, let me jump in for Brodie here: YUASA states for the OEM YT14B-BS to be 6"Lx2.75"Wx5.75"H. If you subtract my numbers from above, and cram the new battery into one corner rather then just center it, the max new space you'd get out of it would be

0.17" along the length,

0.15" along the width and a full

1.62" in height underneath.

The 1.62" in height might be enough for a whole bunch of possible things to fit, and the extra .15" in width would be enough to run the power leads up next to the battery inside the compartment.