Shorai light weight Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Size matters?

I replaced my battery with a WestCo unit in June of 2007 and now I put in a Power Source battery.

(I used the Power Source Battery because it was in stock at Battery Bill in Sacramento.)

I was going nuts looking at all the different battery options. I did find out that 3.5 years ago I put in a smaller battery than stock.

I took out a gt14-b4 and put in a 12-b4. Even with the smaller battery, the WestCo lasted that long and I don't use a battery tender.

The original battery when I bought the bike is on the right and the smaller WestCo is on the left.(I have been using the original battery to keep important systems powered when changine BMW car batteries.)

IMG_5438.jpg

As I was looking around about batteries, I noticed different listings for the FJR.

The pashnit site lists the smaller mtb12-b4 for the FJR even though MotoBatt makes a mtb14-b4.

Also the battery ratings are posted by the marketing department of the company selling the battery.

Interstate batteries are good batteries, but twice the cost of WestCo or MotoBatt or Power Source etc....

I can say for sure that this battery started the bike, it did not cause me to crash, and even with the extra weight I still hit 130mph getting on the highway last night.

A start after an overnight soak at 20F or less would be a good test, maybe not where you are in CA though. ;)

They seem to be the holy grail of batteries but their spec sheet is lacking technical details. :unsure:

"Now we need someone from the frozen midwest to replace their battery..."

Fred Harmon's got 2 of them, one in a GL1800 & one in a C14 and he says it'll be 17F in TX next Wed morning.

He mentions something of a non-conductive film that forms on these battery's anode during a cold soak that needs to be burned off by drawing some current from it for a bit before thumbing the start button when they're cold.

If they cold start OK, they'd better last 6yrs plus for the $200 entrance fee. ;)

"

He mentions something of a non-conductive film that forms on these battery's anode during a cold soak that needs to be burned off by drawing some current from it for a bit before thumbing the start button when they're cold.

If they cold start OK, they'd better last 6yrs plus for the $200 entrance fee. ;)
I think that if you show the battery the Motorcyclist ad, it warms it up pretty quickly and burns off the film.

Losing 9 or 10 pounds up high is always a good thing but speaking for myself I really can't feel the difference between a full tank or half a tank of fuel..

The real reason why I go to the IMS each year is for the vendors, to see the new products, gadgets, and inventions.

While at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show on 12/18/10, I came across this vendor Shorai Inc., they sell Lithium Iron Phosphate (LIP) batteries for bikes etc. They had at the show their LIP battery and the regular lead acid battery. The LIP felt like it was only the case of the battery, it was so light it was unreal. The FJR battery weighs in at 2.12lbs. per the website. Most of the batteries on the brochure weigh in at just over 1 pound, the FJR version is the heaviest battery they have for bikes. I’m not sure how these batteries are, how long they last, etc., but I thought it was pretty trick, although pricey. The website also said this for you cold climate folks: "We recommend using these batteries in temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius".

I asked for dealers and they sent me to this website, batterystuff.com. I looked up batteries for the FJR they had quite a selection. The specific battery for the FJR is one of their highest priced batteries.

Curious, does anyone have knowledge of these guys or similar batteries for bikes?

**EDIT**

Per the Shorai website they say this about the FJR battery. Priced from $129 to $186. The nominal one is $153. Great reading check it out.

Hoping to get to the IMS show in greenville SC late Feb, crossing fingers it will be warm enough to ride hopefully mid 50's temp. Did they have batteries you could purchase there or just display items?

Hoping to get to the IMS show in greenville SC late Feb, crossing fingers it will be warm enough to ride hopefully mid 50's temp. Did they have batteries you could purchase there or just display items?
Shorai had a very small kiosk at the San Mateo show. They had a few demonstration batteries, as well as a couple of standard dead acid (sealed) batteries for comparison. If you go to their web site there is a section to find out who sells it near you.

Hint... If you find a local dealer, chances are you will get a discount. I went to their headquarters in Sunnyvale Ca., paid list price, and all I got was a T-shirt.

They are nice people though.

smile.gif

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint... If you find a local dealer, chances are you will get a discount. I went to their headquarters in Sunnyvale Ca., paid list price, and all I got was a T-shirt.

They are nice people though.

Brodie
They obviously don't know who you are on the internet.

THE BRODIE.

:)

I just installed a Shorai with the specific goal of having it in for winter testing. My westco battery was only 18 months old, but cranked noticeably slower than a couple of other FJR's around. On cold cranking in my garage before change, the westco voltage on my Datel dipped to 8.3 volts. The Shorai (out of the box at 70% charge) only dips to 10.6 volts while cranking. We'll see how it plays out this winter.

worldbound4now