Should I buy an '08 or '09?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better deal used '08 or new '09 model

• Save $2k and get an '08

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's worth $2k to buy "new"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you buy the 2009, I believe you can write off the sales tax on your income taxes (part of the stimulus package). That drops the difference to less then $2,000.00.
We've been getting stimulated for years in Texas. :p No state income tax allows us to write off sales taxes on the federal return - usually done as a formula plus any major purchases.

Good point though...make sure you're considering after tax dollars.

Having just gone through the same process myself, only for $1k difference (turned out to be $500) and both brand new, I went with the 09. Blacked out look and light clutch - I commute. go for which ever one trips your trigger.

I had the very same dilemma, the option for me was a factory new 2009 (black) for $13500 out the door (non-AE), or a used (only 1750 miles) 2008 (AE) for $11500 from a private party. I think it largely depends on you. If you can afford new without a hiccup, then go new. If you're like most that work hard for your money, then you'll save on that whole value loss by driving off the lot by buying new. Also, I'd consider what you're getting on the 08.

Here is what sold me on the 08:

First off, I didn't consider the AE version till I saw this "used" one. Test rode it, and didn't mind. (Now, I love it actually!)

But what really sold me was that I got the incredible two-tone Gray/Titanium Silver color, Factory grip warmers, a beautiful FJR bike cover, 5 year extended warranty (the guy even gave me $40 cash to transfer it) and lastly, the bike had only 1750 miles on it. He was also very particular about keeping it clean and polished, so when I went to see it for a test ride, it was showroom clean. Also, he came down to $11,000.00, so that really put me over the top and just under a month later, I'm happy as hell.

My particular deal seemed a great value because the AE costs almost 2k more for the consumer and the extra's plus the bike put his investment in it at over $17k only 1750 miles ago.

Getting back to your decision, crunch all the numbers. Don't forget tax, license, registration, and prep costs. You really need to compare your out-the-door final costs to make a fair comparison. For me, I also didn't have to pay for the initial service since it was just done (I think it's 600 miles?)

Either bike you choose, you'll be happy, it's a great machine.

-Jim in sunny Southern California! =)

Out the door price (prep, TTL, etc.) here in Dallas is right at $14k for a new 2009.

Used 2008 including tax are ranging from $11k to $12.8k. So the price differential is really $1.2k to $3k.

My heart's leaning new but my mind is leaning used...Although, Yammy's offering 5.9% for 72-mos on new...

If you could be happy with an 08, you best bargain would be to get a brand new 2008 that is left over at a dealership. That would get you both a big discount and a brand new bike.

Out the door price (prep, TTL, etc.) here in Dallas is right at $14k for a new 2009.
That is way high. I bet they are high on the "prep" charges. I have this in my in-box as I type:

2009 FJR1300 A - Black - $12,399.00

> Document fee - $95.00

> Title fee - $15.00

> 30 day tag - $10.50

> Total - $12,519.50

That is out the door. You pay your own taxes and get your own tags.

Man, I just had to sell my 1-year old KLR, and I hate to say it, but I took an awful bath. Fact is, after I replaced my wrecked FJR, the KLR just wasn't getting any attention, pointless to keep making the payments. But still, what a hit on depreciation, not to mention all the extra dough I put into it making it right for me. And what a crappy time to be trying to sell ANYTHING!
My point (and I do have one) is this is a hell of a GOOD time to be buying a used FJR--or KLR--or anything else. There are so many excellent Gen II feejers here on the forum and elsewhere with low miles, all the expensive goodies you'd go spending boo-coo bucks to put on already installed. Go price sliders, heated grips, cruise control, top cases, bigger windscreens, aux. lighting, and on and on. You'll get a bike that's broken in, maybe a set of fresh tires, lots of wonderful miles in front of it, set up just how you'd want it, or darn close. AND you'll have lots left over for a nice set of Cycleport gear like Toe's. :p And five or six coast-to-coast trips worth of gas.
Although I just bought a new 2008 AE less than a month ago for $12K, I completely agree with Mike. Now is a good time to buy anything. In order to justify buying the FJR I sold my 2006 FZ1 with only 4,200 miles on it for $5500. In better economic conditions I know I could've got $6,500, but I had to be pragmatic. If you keep looking you'll find someone with a clean bike Gen I or II for a steal. By the same token though, I know that a couple of years ago my dealer would not have made me as good of a deal as he did on the one I bought. In other words, like Mike said, it's a buyers market.

That is way high. I bet they are high on the "prep" charges. I have this in my in-box as I type:

2009 FJR1300 A - Black - $12,399.00

> Document fee - $95.00

> Title fee - $15.00

> 30 day tag - $10.50

> Total - $12,519.50

That is out the door. You pay your own taxes and get your own tags.

Yep, there's about $750 in BS fees...$312 freight, $228 prep, $131 registration/inspection/docs, $23 dlr inventory tax. Base price on the bike is $12,499. Texas vehicle sales tax is 6.25% so that's another $800+/- bucks...All adds up to about $14 grand!

Last edited by a moderator:
GO for the '09:

1. Its a new bike with bennies as you pointed out.

2. The '09 is better looking with the black rims (yep, just powder coated my '08 rims from silver to black).

'nuff said. :clapping:

No, this poll is flawed as it doesn't have the correct answer to the subject title:

"Should I buy an '08 or '09?

YES! Yes you should!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pulled the trigger on an '09. I'll go pick it up on Saturday. Got the 4yr ext. YES for $389 thanks to this forum & other accessories at dealer cost.

Thanks for your help, insight, and direction!

Congrats. Just finished the first wash job on my 09. Love those black wheels. What did you pay, if I may be so bold?

Howdy folks I'm back. Picked up an 09 last thursday in Florence, Co. Rode the required 600 miles and went back to the dealer Saturday for oil change.So, I vote for the 09 because it's the fastest, best looking, stealth mode som bitch out there. :ph34r:
Not true. The '08 has +5 hp on the '09 and research shows attracts more women.

I'm wondering if anyone with either have noticed the black seems to scratch much easier? I had an '05 and wonder if it's my imagination, or if scratches show up more on the black, or what?