Should I buy an '08 or '09?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better deal used '08 or new '09 model

• Save $2k and get an '08

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's worth $2k to buy "new"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just pulled the trigger on an '09. I'll go pick it up on Saturday. Got the 4yr ext. YES for $389 thanks to this forum & other accessories at dealer cost.
Thanks for your help, insight, and direction!

Congratulations, I went to the dealer today just to get some prices and they happen to just put a new 09 on the floor today.... I ended up buying it and rode it home tonight, ,,absolutely love the bike and only regret is waiting so long to buy it.

I'm wondering if anyone with either have noticed the black seems to scratch much easier? I had an '05 and wonder if it's my imagination, or if scratches show up more on the black, or what?
And not only that, when you park it in the sun and you first get inside, it's real hot, and you have to open the windows till it . . . oh, wait, never mind.

I'm wondering if anyone with either have noticed the black seems to scratch much easier? I had an '05 and wonder if it's my imagination, or if scratches show up more on the black, or what?

Your profile still shows you do (own an '05). Which I have had no trouble scratching up in Galaxy Blue. Black not required for scratching... :unsure:

Just pulled the trigger on an '09. I'll go pick it up on Saturday. Got the 4yr ext. YES for $389 thanks to this forum & other accessories at dealer cost.
Thanks for your help, insight, and direction!

Congratulations, I went to the dealer today just to get some prices and they happen to just put a new 09 on the floor today.... I ended up buying it and rode it home tonight, ,,absolutely love the bike and only regret is waiting so long to buy it.
Holy crap. You guys buy FJRs on impulse?

"Hey Honey, I just went out for a loaf of bread and look what I saw in the checkout line." :derisive:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap. You guys buy FJRs on impulse?

"Hey Honey, I just went out for a loaf of bread and look what I saw in the checkout line." :derisive:

Advantage of being single.... no need to check in.... I have been wanting this bike for a long time and have been lurking here for the past month... dealer asked what I was trading in but I explained how I "needed" the suzuki v-strom for commuting to work and the suzuki M109 for local cruizing and after putting 700 miles on the 109 last weekend realized I needed something better suited for traveling distance. The FJR fits that perfectly. Besides if I did get married and needed to "compromise" something the FJR will be safe. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, scratches show up more on black and less on silver/grey.

However, every vechicle I own is black (san's the candyapple red 919) so the the black FJR color-cooridinates better with its stable mates. Plus everyone gives me $h!t about only having black vehicles so I wouldn't want to disappoint anybody. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, bk!

Now you have to update the information in your profile to reflect your lovely, black new ride!

And congrats to TAZ as well. Like most things in life, timing and location are everything! :bike:

Ride Safe!

Don

Alas, Fred W, no more '05. I do miss it and often wonder who has it now. I kept it immaculate and somebody got a good bike!

At this point it might be a wise move, as someone already suggested, to wait and see what happens for 2010 before you make a decision. The 08 & 09 are pretty much the same bike.