Should I buy the AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my 07 AE for some months and a few thousand miles. "Love" isn't a degenerate enough word to describe my unethical affection for this bike.
I just got back from a month of riding a CBR1000 through the mountains of northern Thailand, a Baja250 through the Killing Fields of Cambodia and a and a GSXer through Bangkok slums... It was hell-on-wheels to become accustomed to the clutch again..

I was not initially aiming to get the AE - just the A - but several thousand dollars of a break on the price got me intrigued. It took me a good 2 months - and several pavement blasts - to really get the feel of the AE. Having the electro-clutch inadvertantly disengaged during low speeds and throttle-popping busted up an elbow and and an arm before it all started making sense. In the end, though: zero regrets. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

My biggest problem with it is the silver color-- not too hellcreepy. I'm on a biztrip in Finland at the moment and the feej is in the midst of a custom paint job. Biomechanical HR Giger'esque blood/oil/satan kinda stuff. Will post some pics when it's all said & done..

A few mods I've got on it now include... PC3, G2. N-Line shelf, Zumo550 w/ XM, Starcom1 Digital, Bill Meyer seat, Blinder M25 laser jammer, Adaptiv TPX radar, PIAA lights, Wild Bill highwaypeg brackets, Kury zombie pegs, upper/lower exhaust heat shields, passenger floorboards, front/rear sliders, undertail kit, hugger, signalminder, calsci +4 blackedout shield. Still trying to decide on an exhaust..

---hellcreep
Dude,

You definitely need to send some pictures of your bike!!!!! I haven't added anything yet...still looking for a set of panniers I can buy somewhere and paint in black.

Later,

I rode a 2008 this weekend, Didint like the automatic shift. But there was nothing wrong with the bike. Not much different than my 2005 otherwise.

I have one of the first 06 AEs that were delivered serial# 000060. Currently has 40.5k miles on the clock. The more I ride it the more I am glad that I bought it. I had an 05 FJR and it was great in all respects but the AE really fills the bill for my situation as a Vintage Rider. I truly hope that Yamaha continues to offer the AE model in the future.

I rode a 2008 this weekend, Didint like the automatic shift. But there was nothing wrong with the bike. Not much different than my 2005 otherwise.

I might not be old enough to appraciate it yet. I did like the bike though, But I will never own a black motorcycle again. My 2007 bandit 1250 cured me of wanting a black motorcycle again.

Dude,
You definitely need to send some pictures of your bike!!!!! I haven't added anything yet...still looking for a set of panniers I can buy somewhere and paint in black.

Later,
Check out some pics in my "another FJR custom paintjob" thread under the "Technical" category!!!

I'm anxiously awaiting reacquisition of the bike!

--hellcreep