Should I wait untill I ride it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTXEDFJR

Reaction score
Since we have so much time before riding season starts ( SNOWING again today 4 inches ) :angry2:

, I was wondering if I should wait and ride the bike to see if I have throttle issues or just go ahead and get it changed with that G2 throttle fix. Is there any one that hasn't had issues and the bike was fineor is this on all bikes. Really sucks to buy a bike and have to do stuff to make it perform nice

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
[Friday answer]

You probably can't go wrong installing the G2 if you want to. Some people aren't bothered by the '07 eccentric throttle cam but a lot are.

Worst case #1: You find that you were one of the few NOT bothered by the stock throttle cam but had already paid the $$$ and installed the G2 anyway. You will like the throttle just as well with the G2 as you would without the G2 in this case.

Worst case #2: You didn't install a G2 when your motorcycle has down-time due to snow; then in the summer find you really have to install the G2 and loose an hour or two of riding time.

Worst case #3: You have problems with the G2 install. Some have had problems with the throttle tube sticking, requiring some lube, or had to make provisions for heated grips. Oh my, given these terrible problems, maybe you shouldn't install the G2 at all ;)

[/Friday answer]

I didn't see you state which year you bought but if your asking you must have the 07. I rode mine four about four months before I changed mine over and for me it was a improvement worth doing!

Use a little white lithium grease on the bar where the tube slides over a small tube is cheap and not worth taking the risk of having to disassemble again.

Another thought is a lot of people complain about the hardness of the grips or that they are to small to grip so it might be a good time to change out grips. (this is when I installed my ST1300 grips).

I do agree that it's a bummer to have to do because of Yamaha's bad, but for the most part there aren't to many other real issue's.

12000miles on my 07, I don't mind the throttle at all. I'm not into changing alot of stuff on my bike. I like the seat just fine too. I'm not into spending alot of $$$$ trying to improve what I just spent 14K on. I researched these pretty well before I plunked down my $$$$. I just "ride it"If I want to work on soemthing or inprove it I have a Honda Transalp. Between the two I've been riding about 500 miles a week in Feb.

You do have throttle issues. Wether it bothers you or not is the question. The G2 seemed to be the most noticable single thing I did to help the throttle. Id say do it and if you do make sure you take up the extra slack in the throttle cable as well.

My 07 doesn't seem to have a problem but then again I could not describe what the "problem" is anyway. I would ride it for a while and see if it bothers you.

While I don't think there are any serious problems with the OEM throttle tube, I also have the G2 ergo cam on.

Since you're asking, I'd say that if you have time, and can get the G2 before it stops snowing -- go ahead and replace it.

If you don't like it, or want to A/B compare them, it's a 10 minute swap you can do anytime. Since you have the Non-AE, it is also a good time to play around with other grips if you choose.

Bottom line -- if you enjoy tinkering, use the snow time to tinker!

You do have throttle issues. Wether it bothers you or not is the question. The G2 seemed to be the most noticable single thing I did to help the throttle. Id say do it and if you do make sure you take up the extra slack in the throttle cable as well.
GUNNY !

Seems like all 07 came with a lot of slack, unless your dealer went the extra mile to adjust it (like they should).

A.C.

Since we have so much time before riding season starts ( SNOWING again today 4 inches ) :angry2: , I was wondering if I should wait and ride the bike to see if I have throttle issues or just go ahead and get it changed with that G2 throttle fix. Is there any one that hasn't had issues and the bike was fineor is this on all bikes. Really sucks to buy a bike and have to do stuff to make it perform nice

Steve
Steve, don't obsess yourself into thinking that you "... have to do stuff to make it perform nice". You don't. An '07 FJR is an outstanding bike straight off the showroom floor without any modification whatsoever (though ensure that the ECU recall has been performed if you ride at high altitude). To be clear, the G2 throttle tamer is not a "fix" for anything. Don't mistake it for such. It's simply an after-market product that replaces the stock quasi-oval shaped throttle pulley with a round one thus "taming" throttle pull for some people. If you've got a smooth throttle hand, you shouldn't have any problem with the throttle as is. Most people don't replace the stock throttle pulley. I did, but after doing so think I could have lived with the stock pulley without problem.

The best advice I can give you is "ride the bike". Don't replace/upgrade/mod anything until you've done so. Once it's past its 600 mile service, make a list of things that you would like to change to make the bike better or feel need improvement; not what others are telling you have to be changed or improved. Follow that strategy, and you're going to find that your FJR ownership experience will become much more pleasureable with a lot less stress. Oh, and spend the $60 on a service manual. That manual in conjunction with the search function of this forum will become your very best friends! :D

I'm telling you, get the G2, I did after one week of riding my 07, what a difference, the stock factory cam is terrible. :rolleyes:

I released the throttle springs but never did the G2 mod on my '06. Doesn't bother me. Then again, if I test rode a bike WITH the G2 (volunteers?), I might change my mind.

Some guys do fine with bone stock, some guys have every farkle under the sun and can't leave anything undone. To each his or her own.

Big improvement for me was releasing one turn on the throttle spring and removing the slack in the throttle cable. No plans for a G2 after 13,000 miles.