Side case destroyed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMort

Reaction score
My right side case is destroyed. I had a tip over and damaged my right side case. Brought it to my body shop to be repainted. He called me yesterday and told me when he applied the primer, the case had some sort of chemical reaction with the primer and actually warped. I have not seen it yet but he said it is not repairable. He checked with a Yamaha dealer and was told the cases are sold only in pairs at a price just under $800. I'm away from home on vacation so I have not seen the case, contacted a dealer of verified the price .

Anyone have any information on repair/replacement of the right side case?

Thanks,

BMort

I just damaged my right side case as well, so if you hear anything outside of this Forum, please share.

Thanks.

My right side case is destroyed. I had a tip over and damaged my right side case. Brought it to my body shop to be repainted. He called me yesterday and told me when he applied the primer, the case had some sort of chemical reaction with the primer and actually warped. I have not seen it yet but he said it is not repairable. He checked with a Yamaha dealer and was told the cases are sold only in pairs at a price just under $800. I'm away from home on vacation so I have not seen the case, contacted a dealer of verified the price .Anyone have any information on repair/replacement of the right side case?

Thanks,

BMort
I highly recommending calling Gary McCoy at University Motors in Fargo, ND. He's been mentioned many, many times on this board.

If the case was functional before the body shop had it, isn't this the liability of the body shop to replace?

I've had my side cases painted with no ill effects to the plastics.

IIRC Gary McCoy retails side cases for $406 each?

My right side case is destroyed. I had a tip over and damaged my right side case. Brought it to my body shop to be repainted. He called me yesterday and told me when he applied the primer, the case had some sort of chemical reaction with the primer and actually warped. I have not seen it yet but he said it is not repairable. He checked with a Yamaha dealer and was told the cases are sold only in pairs at a price just under $800. I'm away from home on vacation so I have not seen the case, contacted a dealer of verified the price .Anyone have any information on repair/replacement of the right side case?

Thanks,

BMort
I had a side case on my 04 repainted by a quality body shop with no problems what so ever. Seems a bit odd to me that whatever he used would warp it. I'm not a professional painter or a body man...but it DOES seem odd. Are you sure that somebody didn't put the case by something hot?

There are currently 4 available on ebay.

2 blue - need painting, scratched

2 grey - new in the box

not mine but i thought i'd pass it on.

-could the body shop have possibly put it in one of those 'heat booths' (for lack of a better term) after painting it in an attempt to 'speed cure' the paint? Just curious. Or maybe they tried to strip it first with paint stripper...methylene chloride on ABS plastic = BAD, IIRC. Time to call..... as previously recommended... Gary @ University Motors...he da man!

As a follow-up, the new in the box set sold for approx $220 and $179 respectively. I had a couple of pm's from the group and hopefully one of you picked up this deal.

Find it hard to believe that $800 figure.Was rear-ended last Sep.,bags had to be ordered at $2500.,then I had to wait 6 weeks for arrival from homeland.Sure ruined seasons end.By the way,if you need,have got 2 scuffed-up bags in garage-cheap.

I've had my side cases painted with no ill effects to the plastics.
IIRC Gary McCoy retails side cases for $406 each?
+1 call Gary... I've never had a bad experience or price from University Motors (and no affilitation).

Thanks,

BMort
I have 2 06's for sale

Find it hard to believe that $800 figure.Was rear-ended last Sep.,bags had to be ordered at $2500.,then I had to wait 6 weeks for arrival from homeland.Sure ruined seasons end.By the way,if you need,have got 2 scuffed-up bags in garage-cheap.
Sounds like your dealer is one of those who qualify for the 'stealer' term.

$2500 for a pair of bags? He was in cahoots and was kicking back a fortune to the adjuster. That's one of the reasons we pay as much for insurance as we do.

A real quick trip to www.ronayers.com for pricing shows the prices for the bags as follows:

5JW-W0753-0L-60 SIDE CASE LEFT Price $506.55

5JW-W0753-0R-60 SIDE CASE RIGHT Price $506.55

So if Gary gives better discounts or the body shop got a special 'dealer price' the sub-$800 price for a pair makes sense. But they ARE available separately.

Thanks,

BMort
You can buy the painted covers for the cases as separate parts if all he did was melt them. Don't know what the color code is for them (-60 ought to be but comes up as not found), but the numbers are:

5JW-W9340-0L-XX (left)

5JW-W9340-0R-XX (right)

Where 'XX' is the color code. Yamaha support can give you the proper number and you can get an online quote for the price.

You'll have to buy the rubber strip, label and reflector as separate parts if you do this because they are glued in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered a set in "kit" form from Mike @ U Motors at less than $900. Swap locks and go.

-could the body shop have possibly put it in one of those 'heat booths' (for lack of a better term) after painting it in an attempt to 'speed cure' the paint? Just curious. Or maybe they tried to strip it first with paint stripper...methylene chloride on ABS plastic = BAD, IIRC. Time to call..... as previously recommended... Gary @ University Motors...he da man!

I'm thinking something along those lines myself. I any case, this just ain't right. If a product that is approved for use on plastic was used, the manufacturer of said product owes you a case. If the product used was not approved for plastic, then the shop using said product owes you a case. Either way, I don't think I would be too quick to let this one go. This really sounds like a MFU on the shop's part. I am guessing close proximity to a heat source. The paint booth should not have damaged the case, as they are typically in the neighborhood of 120-160 degrees F. Paint stripper, oh yeah, that would have screwed the pooch. In reality, prolly something we don't know about, like they placed your case next to an infrared heater. Ooh, that's prolly it. Being small, they prolly opted not to occupy the booth and painted in the prep area and used an infrared heat lamp to expedite the dry time. Them thangs get extremely HOT.

Brought it to my body shop to be repainted. He called me yesterday and told me when he applied the primer, the case had some sort of chemical reaction with the primer and actually warped. I have not seen it yet but he said it is not repairable.
First off all I call BS on the primer warping issue. Been in the body shop business for a few years now and that just doesn't happen. If it did happen we would immediately call the paint mfg to have a rep look at what happened and with out a doubt, pay for the damage their product caused. They compensate shops for product failures all the time, most of which are reworks for mapping ect. I'm sure if a BASF, Sherwin Williams or whoever they are using saw and agreed their product damaged your case to beyond repair status, it would be replaced at their expense without a question.

Second, you can purchase the side covers only seperately from Yamaha. Left, right doesn't matter. Call the right dealer for assistance, they are even shown as seperate items in the Yamaha parts breakdown.

My right side case is destroyed. I had a tip over and damaged my right side case. Brought it to my body shop to be repainted. He called me yesterday and told me when he applied the primer, the case had some sort of chemical reaction with the primer and actually warped. I have not seen it yet but he said it is not repairable. He checked with a Yamaha dealer and was told the cases are sold only in pairs at a price just under $800. I'm away from home on vacation so I have not seen the case, contacted a dealer of verified the price .

Anyone have any information on repair/replacement of the right side case?

Thanks,

BMort
I have 2 06's for sale
Wired, do you still have those for sale, which color/ part-number ?!

I'm looking for : 5JW-W0753-0L-60 and 5JW-W0753-0R-60