Side Cases Flying Off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had a sidebag come off the bike while in motion

• Yes, but I know it was me who didn't attach it properly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I'm sure it was attached properly

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, never happened

• No, but I realized it was going to and fixed it before it could

• Total voters
So...there are 4 so far...out of thousands of owners.
...and what percentage is operator error is unknown in this scientific survey...as the "self reporting" has no easy external vetting process. :D
There are many more than the 4 reported so far.

And it's 4 out of 61 respondents, not out of the 1000+ silent forum members.

Give this some time for the folks that don't hang on the forum all day like us... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
...and what percentage is operator error is unknown in this scientific survey...as the "self reporting" has no easy external vetting process. :D
Very well put my friend. I was thinking the same thing, but just couldn't articulate it nearly as well. Bingo! ;)

...I guess a 50% false positive rate on that particular answer with +/- 25%.

I'd also opine a high correlation of those that answer, "Yes, but I'm sure it was attached properly" to riders that also claim defective side stands.....and/or think the factory should install turn signal reminders. But, that's a completely different study. :eek:k:

Survey Answered - bag came off my '08 while going uphill on the bumpy-ass dirt/gravel road where I live at about 10 mph. I know it was properly attached because I had seen the postings about the saddlebag launch issue and always double checked mounting any time I removed the bags. Wish I had heeded the warnings then - now pinned and "loctited". Thanks to Master Painter Gerauld, the bag looks like new.

KW

Yes, twice, but file in Missing Category - "Yes, but due to other laws of physics"Screws Loctite'd

Pins purchased but not yet installed
Which "other law of physics" are we talking about?
[Friday thread hijack]

A dropped piece of hardware will always bounce and roll to the most inaccessible location, defying all odds and laws of nature.

If you drop hardware when working on your motorcycle it will fall into the most improbably small hole on the bike. You wouldn’t be able to make the part go in that hole if you tried to place it there with your fingers.

When you accidently open something with a spring in it, say for instance the gas cap assembly, the spring will exit so quickly that it exceeds the speed of light, thereby disappearing from this dimension of time/space.

You can see the screw, it looks like it is out in the open, yet when you try to access it with a tool you discover that there is a force field around the part, totally confounding your ability to reach it.

The curse of the 12th bolt. With 11 of the 12 fasteners removed the 12th one is too small for an 11mm, too big for a 10mm, too small for a ½” socket and it is impossible to reach with an adjustable wrench. Listen closely, hardware can laugh.

The curse of the 4th bolt. The first thee came right out. The 4th bolt stripped before you even turned the tool.

The curse of the 4th bolt, raised to the third power. You just broke your hardened extractor in the stripped bolt. You can’t get access for a drill to reach the broken extractor.

Every piece of hardware you just removed can be replaced at the local hardware store except one. That one just dissolved into atoms and scattered across the universe. It is totally unavailable anyplace on this planet; you have to buy an entire assembly to get that missing piece.

Replication from molecules of air. You just finished the job and found one spring and two important looking bolts sitting on your bench. Certainly they just appeared there because you are sure you reassembled the item correctly.

There is a spacer for which you can’t remember the correct orientation. In spite of there being a 50/50 chance of getting it back on correctly, black math will always ensure that there is only one outcome, a 100% surety of getting it wrong.

All you have to do is get the bead chain to drop down and get the last bead into the clip. An invisible shield suddenly bridges the area around the clip; the chain defies gravity and will not drop into place. Space suddenly distorts causing the last bead on the chain to grow and the opening on the snap to shrink.

Once you have things set up so it is impossible for something to go wrong, it does.

You discover that when something couldn’t happen once in a million years, it suddenly happens a million times in one year.

Anyone else have one?

[/Friday hijack]

MCML, I'd remembered a story about Vito and his murderous Harley. I recalled you were angry at the time you reported it, as you very well should have been! Time heals all wounds!

Survey Answered - bag came off my '08 while going uphill on the bumpy-ass dirt/gravel road where I live at about 10 mph. I know it was properly attached because I had seen the postings about the saddlebag launch issue and always double checked mounting any time I removed the bags. Wish I had heeded the warnings then - now pinned and "loctited". Thanks to Master Painter Gerauld, the bag looks like new.
KW
Make that "Master Painter garauld" - sorry Gary.

Who said anything about scientific? I'm just curious...

Griff
Really...I thought YOU did. Why then did you say this in your very first post?

Please vote in the above poll, I'd like to get some data. If the bag can fly off without warning and without pilot error as a contributing factor, maybe it's time to log an incident report with the NHTSA (US bikes), Transport Canada (Canadian bikes), or whatever organization looks into potential safety issues in your particular geographic region.
If you're hoping the results of this poll will help bolster a case with a governing agency....then I think you'd want aspire to solid, scientific, accurate, usable data.

I've been around this forum a long time and seen two or three successful campaigns to get something changed on the FJR....and they only worked when people here did the hard work of collecting real data. They succeed when forum dwellers work on gathering empirical data over anecdotal observations.........attacking the issue instead of a company or agency.....and generally using honey instead of vinegar.

I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with trying to get notice of an issue....but do it with solid data. It's harder....but WAY more effective in the long run. ;)

Yes, twice, but file in Missing Category - "Yes, but due to other laws of physics"Screws Loctite'd

Pins purchased but not yet installed
Which "other law of physics" are we talking about?
[Friday thread hijack]

A dropped piece of hardware will always bounce and roll to the most inaccessible location, defying all odds and laws of nature.

If you drop hardware when working on your motorcycle it will fall into the most improbably small hole on the bike. You wouldn’t be able to make the part go in that hole if you tried to place it there with your fingers.

When you accidently open something with a spring in it, say for instance the gas cap assembly, the spring will exit so quickly that it exceeds the speed of light, thereby disappearing from this dimension of time/space.

You can see the screw, it looks like it is out in the open, yet when you try to access it with a tool you discover that there is a force field around the part, totally confounding your ability to reach it.

The curse of the 12th bolt. With 11 of the 12 fasteners removed the 12th one is too small for an 11mm, too big for a 10mm, too small for a ½” socket and it is impossible to reach with an adjustable wrench. Listen closely, hardware can laugh.

The curse of the 4th bolt. The first thee came right out. The 4th bolt stripped before you even turned the tool.

The curse of the 4th bolt, raised to the third power. You just broke your hardened extractor in the stripped bolt. You can’t get access for a drill to reach the broken extractor.

Every piece of hardware you just removed can be replaced at the local hardware store except one. That one just dissolved into atoms and scattered across the universe. It is totally unavailable anyplace on this planet; you have to buy an entire assembly to get that missing piece.

Replication from molecules of air. You just finished the job and found one spring and two important looking bolts sitting on your bench. Certainly they just appeared there because you are sure you reassembled the item correctly.

There is a spacer for which you can’t remember the correct orientation. In spite of there being a 50/50 chance of getting it back on correctly, black math will always ensure that there is only one outcome, a 100% surety of getting it wrong.

All you have to do is get the bead chain to drop down and get the last bead into the clip. An invisible shield suddenly bridges the area around the clip; the chain defies gravity and will not drop into place. Space suddenly distorts causing the last bead on the chain to grow and the opening on the snap to shrink.

Once you have things set up so it is impossible for something to go wrong, it does.

You discover that when something couldn’t happen once in a million years, it suddenly happens a million times in one year.

Anyone else have one?

[/Friday hijack]

THAT is some funny sheet!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only because there is some truth in every paragragh... :)

Where's the response for, 'No. I am not an idiot. I know how to properly secure my sidebags to my FJR. And even if I did lose one, I know how to take personal responsibility for my actions and not blame perfectly good engineering for my own ****-up.?

;)

Where's the response for, 'No. I am not an idiot. I know how to properly secure my sidebags to my FJR. And even if I did lose one, I know how to take personal responsibility for my actions and not blame perfectly good engineering for my own ****-up.?

;)
Oh Brother, I'm going to be riding all day long on Sunday with "this one"! Hope to hell he calms down by Sunday, maybe he'll get laid by then; always seem to calm him down! Paging Bustanut joker!!!

;)
Putz!! Ya know damned well society as it is now will never allow this kinda response..

No losers or blame for a feckin' thing anymore.. :rolleyes:

WTF were ya thinking boy?

:jester:

Humorous?

Those accurate descriptions of the ways of the physical universe?

Those concise narratives interpreting the empirical data sets?

Shade-tree mechanics 101 - Coyote is a Trickster!

Humorous? Those accurate descriptions of the ways of the physical universe?

Those concise narratives interpreting the empirical data sets?

Shade-tree mechanics 101 - Coyote is a Trickster!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firesign_Theatre Joseph, Mi Amigo, is it even worth our time trying to explain The Firesign Theatre to these young pups? I grew up with Firesign in Southern Cali 60's!

"Waiting For The Electrician or Someone Like Him"

"Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers!

;)
Now there's some old-fashioned common sense. I'd also add to that: "Yes, I still have my original key, as I've always understood that it's a KEY and not PRY BAR to force the lock shut when I didn't line shit up."

:p

Humorous? Those accurate descriptions of the ways of the physical universe?...
Certainly not funny, this is the way the world works in 'beam's garage. There are other strange forces at work too. The last time I ever uttered "so what else can go wrong..." within seconds I was looking for a compression gauge, terrified at my engine having just started to crank way too fast :glare:

Back to those self empowered bags, those liberated spirits which spontaneously set themselves free. "We bags endeavor to break our bonds, free ourselves of our fetters, to be liberated and masters of our journeys, answering to no key, yea, to no man. Let me fly free into the great open spaces, never to look back, leaving no trace, without regard to the burden I carry within."

:lol:

That's why I like you, Alan. You crack me up!! 2 good posts in a row.

So Skooter dude (I haven't used that one in a while), you think these are all people just f*&king up that cause their bags to come off? :unsure: No chance that the mechanism is backing off in the gear tooth department allowing the bags to go free?

I'm thinking it just might be a mixed bag of operator error and also inferior design issue. Not that we'd have a chance in hell of getting it changed. Just pin the bastids and move on.

But, I'd imagine that the folks that lose their bags to the freedom of the open road, probably take them on and off the bike more than the ones that don't. The problem with this kind of a multi question survey / poll is that there is no way to correlate the answers, to determine if these hunches are true.

Latest posts