side cowls in open position makes us cooler or warmer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always seems warmer to me. I like em out in the cold months and in during the warmer ones, but maybe thats just me!

Real easy to test -

Open up one of them.

Go for a ride, and while riding hold your hand to intersect the air stream. ou can tell where the heat is going.

You'll find that open allows warm air to reach you.

Open allows warm air to pass through, the best time to prove this point is when its cold. You can really feel the warmer air then.

You'll find that open allows warm air to reach you.
Out for winter, in for summer (northern hemisphere).

I also think it's cooler. When I close them my bike seems to run much hotter so when that heat comes off the motor it hits the legs more.

+1 open = cooler
And Fred is the winner!

You're always going to have heat on your legs, but, if you open them in cooler weather and put the windshield all the way up, the back pressure pulls some heat up toward you. The effect goes away the faster you go and the colder it is. The gen 2's have a lot less back pressure than the Gen 1's, but there is still some there to pull that heat up.

Driving in the milder winters of the South, you can feel the difference if they're open or closed.

One of these days, someone is going to take some digital thermometers and strap them on the outside of the legs and do a test run with the vents open and then close the vents and do another test run to finally end this debate. Any techies out there want to take this project on. Would it be that hard to do? Pick a day with not much wind. Someone trustworthy like Odot. :huh: