side cowls in open position makes us cooler or warmer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested mine the other day... Open was far warmer then closed. I cooking with them open. once they were closed everything was back to normal.

According to MamaYama: "Adjustable Middle Fairing: Allows warm air to be directed on or away from the rider, depending on outside temperature."

So...., Fred's "Maybe?" is close to right -- and so is everyone else.... :) :rolleyes:

From 'the horse's mouth': it depends on outside temperature -- it appears more in-depth research/testing needs to be done by GenII Forum members...? :unsure:

What a dummy I am, apparently. Had opened them up from day one in april (purch date for my 08), thinking

that extra inch would draw and deflect warm air away from the bike. After reading this thread last week, just for

laughs I closed them for a quick 80 mile scoot on Sat. Big difference, comfy and cool I was.

For bestest cooling, keep them closed. Then ride with your legs bowed out like you're working out on one of those gym machines that only the chicks use. With these faired bikes, that's the only way to get cool air to the legs and groin. With my mesh overpants I can really tell the difference, even if my knees are only kicked out a few inches.

The Yamaha site says out is to direct heat away from the rider, but I ride with mine out ALL the time . In summer out is def cooler ( Dont forget we in Australia know about heat) In winter I find the wings out give my knees added protection from the colder winds.

I opened 1 to see which side would be warmer and all I could do was ride in circles. :rolleyes:
. . . . but if you alternate opening and closing each side you can ride figure-8s.
Thanks guys. I very nearly spilled my drink after reading the 'only ride in circles' comment, and now doing the figure 8's did make me spill.

Alcohol abuse is never a good thing!

If you have freeway pegs and long legs you are going to want to have them closed all of the time. :rolleyes: