side or center stand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter10

Reaction score
so as I plan to ride this spring/summer on my FJR I am contemplating how to park the bike while at work. I have used the side stand only last year with no issues. I have been hesitant on using the center only becuase it seems like it could fall easier or something.... what are peoples thoughts? thanks

Seems like the answer is, "it depends". On what type of surface, flat, sloped,etc,etc. I would think that the sidestand would be sufficient for parking at work if you have a good parking spot. When I am out riding and stop, I make sure I have a nice relatively level secure place to park and a surface that will not allow the sidestand to sink e.g. dirt, soft asphalt. When my bike is parked overnight or longer I usually put it on the centerstand. Remember that a lot of motorcycles don't have a centerstand at all.

They won't fall over in either condition if done correctly.

Face bike up hill in hilly areas...make sure side stand is fully extended and in gear.

Face bike up hill in hilly areas...make sure side stand is fully extended and in gear.
Gunny.
Depending on slope of pavement will dictate which stand to use. Level is best for center stand, side stand is fine too. One thing ALWAYS make sure your side stand is completely forward before letting the bike rest on it. If on a hill or slope I leave my bike in gear so it won't role or put stress on the stand, which could allow it to collapse.

I use the center stand, like when I have a full tank of fuel and I'm on level ground. I got used to that because my BMW used to leak at an angle with a full tank of fuel. The FeeJ doesn't leak fuel at all, but I just do it anyway.

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
At my work they had tire stops so I would always park with the front tire up against the stop (and used the side stand with a metal plate under it to keep it from sinking into the asphalt). With it up against the chock, there was no need to keep it in gear.

Its kinda funny how opinions are formed, but for me if I want max stability whille parked on a stand, I will put it on the center stand. In fact about the only time I use side stand if its just a short stop time.

Its kinda funny how opinions are formed, but for me if I want max stability whille parked on a stand, I will put it on the center stand. In fact about the only time I use side stand if its just a short stop time.

thanks for all the input....

so as I plan to ride this spring/summer on my FJR I am contemplating how to park the bike while at work. I have used the side stand only last year with no issues. I have been hesitant on using the center only becuase it seems like it could fall easier or something.... what are peoples thoughts? thanks
I use the side stand on short stops and the center stand for fueling and overnight. Remember when using the sidestand, shut the bike off in gear and roll the bike forward so it stops due to compression, that way the only way it can roll is backwards against the stand.

I use both stands every time so if one fails the other one will save it. :yahoo: :yahoo: Sorry but I missed last Friday.

I only use the centerstand for parking if I need to get to the left side bag (it's easier with the bag raised up instead of tipped over) or if clearance is an issue, like sharing the parking space with some other bikes I'm with.

The centerstand is not more stable, as some have stated; it's a narrower triangle than the two wheels and sidestand. Stormy breeze or careless passerby could knock it off the centerstand easier than the sidestand. On the sidestand, to knock it over to the left it has to be raised off one of the wheels. To knock it over to the right it has to be lifted over center from the sidestand lean. To knock it off the centerstand you just have to shove it a bit. Once the C.G. is over the centerstand foot it's all over, fizix handles it from there. That and grabitty.

Hey Toadnipples,

What gear do you put YOUR sidestand in?

:finger:

Hey Toadnipples,

What gear do you put YOUR sidestand in?

:finger:
And how do you know about Toadnipples. Are they like the Manatee???

At my age it's a chore to extend it and get it in gear at the same time. :rolleyes:

I use the centerstand - but only to show off that a skinny guy like me actually can put it up on the centerstand :)

Kidding aside, I only use the centerstand when parking overnight or if I don't use the bike for a few days. Other than that, its always the side stand.

I'm more of a sidestand-only-for-short-times kinda guy.

For fueling, center stand so I can completely fill the tank.

Work, center stand 'cause I don't trust the asphalt to hold up that pig on a hot summer day. We have motorcycle-only parking where I work, and the spot where sidestands hit the asphalt isn't in the greatest shape.

Parked in the garage, center stand 'cause without the side-stand lean, it's easier to cram more stuff into the garage and still be able to move around.

Road trip rest break or a beer run at SFO or EOM, side stand.

I'm more of a sidestand-only-for-short-times kinda guy.
For fueling, center stand so I can completely fill the tank.

Work, center stand 'cause I don't trust the asphalt to hold up that pig on a hot summer day. We have motorcycle-only parking where I work, and the spot where sidestands hit the asphalt isn't in the greatest shape.

Parked in the garage, center stand 'cause without the side-stand lean, it's easier to cram more stuff into the garage and still be able to move around.

Road trip rest break or a beer run at SFO or EOM, side stand.
+1

QUOTE (dexter10 @ Mar 15 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I don't think it makes a lot of difference ...

(click on image for larger view)

The result of 80 mph wind gusts albeit in the lee of a small building. Incident posted here.