Silicon Grease & lithium soap based grease

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgapro78

Reaction score
Looking to relubricate areas on the bike and was curious if anyone has any info on what type of silicone grease and lithium grease is best to be used and where to get it.

Thanks

Why silicon? Most folks around here seem to use Honda Moly based grease. The best stuff for splines and such

Silicon grease is usually used by plumbers for O-rings and rubber parts as it won't attack rubber like petroleums do. Not sure why Yammy specifies Lithium Soap grease, but you can buy Lithium grease. I use wheel bearing grease, except for splines, there I use Honda Moly60 paste (it's too thick to use for some applications, and is only needed on splines where high heat resistance is required).

Last edited by a moderator:
Silicon grease is generally non-conducting (dielectric) and non-water soluble so it works well on electrical connectors and as previously mentioned, O-rings and other rubber/plastic components that may otherwise be adversely affected by petroleum based products. It's not really intended to lube anything that is heavily loaded or rotates/slides at high speeds. Most auto parts stores carry it.

I usually opt for full synthetic grease because it doesn't absorb water like the mineral greases with lithium and soap additives. Again, most auto parts stores carry Mobil One or an equivalent brand.

High molybdenum content greases are usually reserved for low speed/high pressure applications such as the FJR driveshaft splines or other sliding components. Lubriplate is another popular brand of moly grease but the Honda product is usually easier for most folks to source.

silicon: Definition from Answers.com

n. ( Symbol Si ) A nonmetallic element occurring extensively in the earth's crust in silica and silicates, having both an amorphous and a crystalline allotrope

silicone: Definition from Answers.com

n. Any of a group of semi-inorganic polymers based on the structural unit R 2 SiO, where R is an organic group, characterized by wide-range thermal stability, high lubricity

Yours in orthography,

:)

Well, I suppose it makes a change from an oil thread :rolleyes:

[SIZE=14pt]Wey hey - it's Friday![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: