Simple Riding Tips for Safety and/or Comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most things I can think of have already been said. Excellent thread.

I'll add: "A man's got to know his limitations." Don't try to keep up with riders who are skilled enough to ride faster. Stop when you are tired. Stay hydrated. Take heed of every mistake you make, no matter how minor, and know that it is a sign that you are overreaching your safe riding limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride in a staggered pattern when riding with other bikes.

Don't forget your rear brake...it can be your best friend.

On the interstate, avoid getting boxed in (no exit). If you do find yourself getting boxed in, get aggressive and get out of there, then get well ahead of the pack and slow back down to speed.

Hey Pants, good thread!

Coming up on a car that's waiting to put out onto the street as I approach, I once read that the best way to get some forewarning that the car is beginning to move forward is by watching the front wheel of the car. I take a quick look to see the driver's face too, but especially on a motorcycle, he could be looking right through you, even if you think you made eye contact or something. But that wheel starting to turn can't be misinterpreted. I watch it right up till I'm far enough that he can't hit me. Even if he's trying. Along with all the other stuff we're all watching for too, of course.
rolleyes.gif

Like all the stuff in all these other tips.
I use this tip in my MSF class during the scenario session and usually mention the watch the front tire tip. When asking my students what they would look for,one said to watch the brake light. When the light goes out, they have taken their foot of the brake and will probably be going soon. Not sure why I never thought of that but I would assume that you would only be able to see it from the side when it was dark out.

At intersections, look INTO the car and note where the driver is looking. If she's not looking at you, cover your brakes and your horn.
If the car in front does something weird, (brakes, accelerates, swerves, changes lane quickly, etc) there is a reason and I've got milliseconds to figure out why.
I don't trust 'em even when the ARE looking right at me, and have eye contact. Had a silly b#$*h in a caddy, stopped at a side road look right into my eyes and then pull out into the opposite lane. I was riding a '78 XS11, fortunately not speeding, and managed to get on both brakes to the tire moaning point. I was so pissed I did a u-turn, pulled the 'lady' over and politely explained that if my 600 + lb motorcycle had hit her driver's door, she'd likely have died whereas I may have incurred a few injuries from flying over her car. At least she had the decency to apologize.

My main tip: Always ride like you're invisible; not invincible.

I may post something more, but I think the existing posts by others cover it for me

Good thread

At intersections, look INTO the car and note where the driver is looking. If she's not looking at you, cover your brakes and your horn.
If the car in front does something weird, (brakes, accelerates, swerves, changes lane quickly, etc) there is a reason and I've got milliseconds to figure out why.
I don't trust 'em even when the ARE looking right at me, and have eye contact. Had a silly b#$*h in a caddy, stopped at a side road look right into my eyes and then pull out into the opposite lane. I was riding a '78 XS11, fortunately not speeding, and managed to get on both brakes to the tire moaning point. I was so pissed I did a u-turn, pulled the 'lady' over and politely explained that if my 600 + lb motorcycle had hit her driver's door, she'd likely have died whereas I may have incurred a few injuries from flying over her car. At least she had the decency to apologize.

My main tip: Always ride like you're invisible; not invincible.

I may post something more, but I think the existing posts by others cover it for me

Good thread

Well - this is going nicely!

When I pack for a tour, I put the riding gear layers, hat, toiletries (with the OTC meds), and anything that I have a reasonable chance of needing to get to on the side of the road in the RIGHT side saddle bag. This way during a roadside stop, I don't have to put the bike on the center stand to get to what I need.

When I pack for a ride, I put tools on the right side bag so I am farther off the roadway if I have an emergency at the side of the road.

I also pack my emergency medical bag in my ginormous FJR tank bag, so I can just pull it off and run to an injured rider without fiddling with keys and opening bags.

1: When traveling stop on the FAR side of the town your going to stop for the night in. Nobody likes morning rush hour traffic.

2: When on an multi-lane, other vehicles tend to herd together. Get out of that into the clear and ride 'between' the herds.

3: People telegraph what they are about to do. If you see somebody constantly turning their head, or edging close to the lane markers/dew line, you can bet their looking to make a turn.

4: All close calls are your fault. Get over it, it's not them, its you.

1: When traveling stop on the FAR side of the town your going to stop for the night in. Nobody likes morning rush hour traffic.2: When on an multi-lane, other vehicles tend to herd together. Get out of that into the clear and ride 'between' the herds.

3: People telegraph what they are about to do. If you see somebody constantly turning their head, or edging close to the lane markers/dew line, you can bet their looking to make a turn.

4: All close calls are your fault. Get over it, it's not them, its you.
I especially like #4. Being right is not much consolation if you are dead! Riding a motorcycle requires an attitude adjustment and (sometimes) a little humility.

#4...That's a hot button one...I get the point, but

I would adjust that word "all" to most. The word "all" makes it a lie.

I don't want to mess up this thread with parsing of other's suggestions or declarations.

#4...That's a hot button one...I get the point, but
I would adjust that word "all" to most. The word "all" makes it a lie.

I don't want to mess up this thread with parsing of other's suggestions or declarations.
But try. If you refuse to accept any blame at all, there's nothing to learn. :)

I'm all for accepting blame, or the need to be vigilant at all times, and learning techniques.

But I'm not going to blame a fellow FJR rider if they get killed because they tried all their skills, were vigilant, and the drunk guy still killed them.

I'm all for accepting blame, or the need to be vigilant at all times, and learning techniques.
But I'm not going to blame a fellow FJR rider if they get killed because they tried all their skills, were vigilant, and the drunk guy still killed them.
Oh, heavens no. I'm thinking of my own near misses or accidents.

When I pack for a ride, I put tools on the right side bag so I am farther off the roadway if I have an emergency at the side of the road....
Curiously, I also pack my tools in my right bag, even though we drive on the left. But then, I can't remember the last timeI I had an emergency, to the extent that I usually don't bother with extra tools unless I'm in a group with known unreliable bikes, you know, BMWs, Ducatis. Note, I've not included HDs, I've never been in a group with HDs. My ear plugs aren't good enough.

Ah, I lie. I can remember the last emergency, it was a friend's FJR, somewhere in Greece. Or might have been Italy. No, Greece. The bag lock screws were loose. How embarrassing. Has to use a pair of pliers to tighten the screws. They remained secure until we returned to civilisation.

So, next tip: Carry a T10 Security Torx screwdriver with you.

Coming up on a car that's waiting to put out onto the street as I approach, I once read that the best way to get some forewarning that the car is beginning to move forward is by watching the front wheel of the car. I take a quick look to see the driver's face too, but especially on a motorcycle, he could be looking right through you, even if you think you made eye contact or something. But that wheel starting to turn can't be misinterpreted. I watch it right up till I'm far enough that he can't hit me. Even if he's trying. Along with all the other stuff we're all watching for too, of course.
rolleyes.gif

Like all the stuff in all these other tips.
Yes, tires at intersections give clues: intended direction of travel, and where the drive is in their "ready, set' go" countdown.

I also watch tires on multilane highways. That's the sure way to tell if they're coming into my lane, or thinking about coming into my lane: tires start encroaching on the lane line.

Rule 1. At intersections, ensure correct 1) gear selection 2) position 3) speed

Rule 2. At intersections, should I have the right of way in the eyes of the law, I don't focus at any one thing directly, I look in gestalt fashion at the objects in and adjacent to the intersection and if there are spinning wheels moving in a direction across my line of travel, see Rule 1.

As Groucho Marx once supposedly said, these are my principles. If you don't like these, I have others.

Next tip...Loctite those T10 screws as well.
Please sir, have I got to carry Loctite in my tool-kit in case I meet a fellow FJR rider with screws loose? (That's bag lock screws, not mental ones. All the FJR riders I know have mental screws loose
fool.gif
.)

Incidentally, when I came to free off my stiff bag locks, I found that my dealer had actually Loctited them! That's one out of the three FJRs I've had from him.

Please sir, have I got to carry Loctite in my tool-kit in case I meet a fellow FJR rider with screws loose? (That's bag lock screws, not mental ones. All the FJR riders I know have mental screws loose:fool: .)
Yes, and a torque wrench just in case a fellow rider needs his nuts torqued.
biggrin.png

Please sir, have I got to carry Loctite in my tool-kit in case I meet a fellow FJR rider with screws loose? (That's bag lock screws, not mental ones. All the FJR riders I know have mental screws loose:fool: .)
Yes, and a torque wrench just in case a fellow rider needs his nuts torqued.
biggrin.png
The only torque wench I have is the wife, and she won't come with me.

Oh, sorry, you said "talk wrench", forget it.