Simple Riding Tips for Safety and/or Comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That darker grey stripe in the center of your lane is oil and grease residue from the idiots that refuse to maintain their vehicles. It's slick as snot (especially when wet) and I avoid it at all cost.
Especially true where they sit and idle while dripping -- like at lights, stop signs, bank drive thrus, etc.

That darker grey stripe in the center of your lane is oil and grease residue from the idiots that refuse to maintain their vehicles. It's slick as snot (especially when wet) and I avoid it at all cost.
Especially true where they sit and idle while dripping -- like at lights, stop signs, bank drive thrus, etc.
Toll booths and border crossings are the worst! I also had a couple of close calls at gas stations; especially in wet weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patience! Most accidents come from a lack of it.

Don't assume a car moving right is going right. The wide turn left will kill you if you assume a right turn and attempt to pass. NEVER assume you know where that slow idiot is going.

I never assume that the cager behind me will stop, just because the car in front of me did. I like to get to one side of the lane at any stop, usually on the driver's side, but these guys managed okay, on the shoulder. As long as the bike is aimed between the stopped cars, even though it is not on the white-line, it will be safer than if it was stopped behind the rear bumper of the car in front.

Rear-end escape plan

There is another video, somewhat similar but darker, on a woodland road, but I did not find that one. That time, the cager hit the large flat rear end of a stopped truck. The motorcyclists were all safely to one side, so no bikes were hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest risk is getting zoned out. I average around 500 miles a week, barring barriers like breakdowns or being out of town. I usually commute on a motorcycle. It's just normal, several times in the average week, for someone to try to occupy the same space I'm already occupying, pull in front of me, or do something else stupid. I ride like I'm invisible. Pretend they can't see you, and watch them all with suspicion...

I installed car horns for loudness and use the high beam always in daylight hours. When in traffic, I try to stay on the lane or the part of the lane that gives me the most forward visibility. Definitely try to stay out from behind 18-wheelers. And religiously check the mirrors.