since I had the camera out today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a load of stuff to carry! Do you ride with a lot of Harleys?
No I just like to pull over when I see them stranded and offer to help so they can sneer at me. And I do tend to ride in the middle of the night miles from anywhere when I get off work late. And I'm kind of a packrat

No I just like to pull over when I see them stranded and offer to help so they can sneer at me.
'The Motor Co.' doesn't like to use fuses (or, didn't, anyway) -- they use circuit-breakers. Once, coming back from the big H-D party in the Black Hills -- I was riding with a guy on a Sportster and we stopped in Dickinson ND to eat (drink?) at the place with the tail of a small plane protruding from the street-side wall (you may have seen it?). Anyway, when we came out, he turned the switch, and all the wiring went up-in-smoke!

You should'a been there (literally.....). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the superbrace. Noticed a difference in stable feeling, first ride out.
Picture026.jpg

This tank bag is an SW Moto Bag with quick lock tank ring. It's great because the bag doesn't touch the tank anywhere. it goes on and off easily, and no scratched or worn paint on the tank ever. Hard to tell from the picture, but the bag sits up off the tank.

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

I got the bulkhead fitting set-up for my starcom1 it's a very clean look, almost factory(but better) from bike effects.com

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

hidden in the back left is the mounting location for my Stebel Nautilus horn, I separated the horn from the compressor, and dremmeled the snot out of the stock horn bracket to make it hold the air horn in place. Also had to do some trimming to the inner cowling to get the fit, Take your time it aint that bad!

Picture027.jpg

I located the relay circuit, and the compressor motor under the seat, and used fuel line to run air back to the horn.

Picture028.jpg

the relay gets it power from the Blue sea fuse block in this picture, also from bike effects. My Starcom is also located here where the stock tool kit used to be, It's in a baggy to protect it from rain, (i'm a little paranoid about it.)

Picture029.jpg

This next picture is the tool kit I keep with me. Couple spare headlights, cuz who wants to be stranded because of that, The little alligator clip thing, is a jumper-cable set-up I made, that plugs ito an SAE connector from the fuse block, That same SAE connector runs my Slime Brand tire filler which is in the next picture.

Picture030.jpg

this mess of crap has all kinds of electical connectors, nylon zip ties, tire repair kit, and compressor(mentioned before), test light, cold heat solder tool (just in case), Spare fuses of all shapes and sizes, Rain gear in that black pouch on the left, spare wire pieces, wire looms, etc. etc. I do a lot of middle of nowhere riding in the middle of the night when I get stuck at work all night. I'm paranoid about getting stranded somewhere; so feel free to ridicule me all my best friends do, and most of you here are welcome to that title and group.

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Other than what's pictured, I also added a heavy weight throttle meister kit (which I rarely use, but I like the heavy bar ends), and a set of grip puppies, the G2 throttle tube, Corbin seats w/ back rest, and more is coming soon.....

I love this forum, and I love this bike, even after the thing died on me today, STUPID IGNITION SWITCH! Clicky for post on that
Top set up mate, ya gotta love a guy that is prepared, over here when we go bush whether on 2 or 4 wheels we have to look at it the same way...

Cejay

It looks like in your tool kit you have a regular tire plug kit, have you ever used it?We had a flat once and the bike kept spitting the standard type string plug out.

I've had pretty good luck with a Stop N Go plug system for bike and ATV tires.

Stop N Go
Just the opposite experience here. I've had the Stop N Go plugs spit out a couple

of times after 200 miles while no problems in thousands of miles on string plugs.

YMMV

It looks like in your tool kit you have a regular tire plug kit, have you ever used it?We had a flat once and the bike kept spitting the standard type string plug out.

Stop N Go
Just the opposite experience here. I've had the Stop N Go plugs spit out a couple

of times after 200 miles while no problems in thousands of miles on string plugs.

YMMV
+1

I stopped using the StopNGo tire repair kit I had in favor of the sticky strings long ago.

Stop N Go

YMMV
+1

I stopped using the StopNGo tire repair kit I had in favor of the sticky strings long ago.
+2 I have only had consistent success with the sticky strings.

thank you... :D
All you need is the Leatherman. :D
If you look closely, about 6 inches to the left of the vise grips, there is my leatherman halfway out of its pouch. ;)
That's why I said all you need is the Leatherman. I saw it in the photo.

I have the original Leatherman and the Super Leatherman. My wife also bought me the Swiss Tool equivalent to the Super Leatherman. Some great multi-tools in my book.

I am still looking for a good quality tool kit to carry. To date, I've just hodge-podged a collection of 'secondary' tools that I carry.

I would like to find a high quality set of interchangeable tools that meet most all needs then supplement as necessary.

Any ideas?
Very nice setup. I much like. Maybe some enterprising company (Bikeeffects comes to mind) will offer some premade kit for all of us newby's and turn a little profit.

Wow: and I was proud of myself for changing the spark plugs this morning. Nice setup, especially the Starcomm ports.

My Starcom just came in today, and that's almost exactly where I was thinking about wiring my bulkheads. Still pondering though, still pondering.

DC

I just wired my slime pump using the supplied short fused cord with the eyelets directly to the battery and have the plug tucked away where it can be easily accessed. Then I decided to put a battery charger on the bike for a while and I used the wire harnes you have show to connect the charger. I plugged it in and connected the charger to the additonal harness, red battery clip to red harness clip etc.

Spark City! What?

If you use that harness as a jumper to charge or boost another bike etc. When plugged into the original Eyelet harness the wires are crossed at the connector. Take a look you will see it goes from red to black on both pins.

FWIW.

Good kit, DC. I like to be prepared too. You do have some first aid things, right? All of you?

One thing I noticed is your stubby tool kit looks just like one I have--it might have come from Costco. Good size for storage and tight spots, but I was doing something with one of the sockets and it cracked right apart when I twisted it. Definitely low quality. I replaced them with a full set of decent sockets right away, and kept the rest of the kit.

Um, Cejay--no real need to copy the entire post and "the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures" to add a one-line comment, was there?

How do you like your SW Motec tank bag? The no-mar system looks pretty nice, currently I have a Nelson Rigg that uses magnets and I've seen a few scratches on my old bike from it.

Stop N Go

YMMV
+1

+2 I have only had consistent success with the sticky strings.

Apparently it's because I'm stupid (I've been told as much regarding this subject) but I went through about 6 strings that all failed and was able to plug with the Stop N Go on the first try. That experience, plus the fact that the general idea behind it makes more sense to me (the mushroom shape helping the seal with centrifugal force) will keep me using the Stop N Go. But, it is more expensive.

BOT, I sure don't want to carry that much stuff, and maybe your friends don't either, but I'm sure everyone is glad you're around if anything breaks.

Mark

No I just like to pull over when I see them stranded and offer to help so they can sneer at me. And I do tend to ride in the middle of the night miles from anywhere when I get off work late. And I'm kind of a packrat

Great pics and neat work. I think I'm going to mount my switched power box like your did under the seat