Single-wheel trailers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullit

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering about other people's experiences with single-wheeled trailers. I recently picked one up which was made by Third Wheel Trailers it looks like a great rig, and as advertised tested at high speeds. Anyway, there are two types of hitch-ups for these rigs, one they call the "Sportbike Version" (won't work on FJR's) and the other being for all others. The Sportbike version looks great and mounts to the bikes rear axle, as used on the designers Hayabusa, giving no load on the suspension and a very solid mount. The other version (FJR type) is simply a quick-coupler that mounts to a third party trailer hitch.

I built my own hitch and tried the trailer, well that was an experience! The damn thing was very prone to what I would call speed wobbles. I came home a bit nerved-up, I had an accident because of a speed wobble years ago, bad memories. Anyway, I shook the trailer form side to side to see what the issue was and found the quick-coupler had a bit of play in it. I e-mailed the company's owner and he was aware that this coupler wasn't as secure as it should be. The fix for this was to drill and tap a couple of holes to eliminate the slop. After this was cured, I still found the trailer to wobble way too easily, so I added some gussets to the hitch to remove any flex from it. After lots of testing, I found the trailer to work great unloaded, up to 140 kph, but adding cargo causes the wobble again. Upon returning home, I again pushed the trailer to try to see where it was flexing and it appeared to be the tail-section of the frame!! Not a good situation, that could lead to metal fatigue and possibly a very bad crash.

Anyway, I am looking for any trailering experiences from other FJR guys, this one I strongly recommend against!

Well you can take what I say for what you want. I am currently towing a home made 1 wheel with an ST1300 with no issues. I am using a unigo hitch with a trailer I designed. I don't have a hitch on my wifes FJR so I can not say how it would tow, but I would think it would be the same as my ST.

I have had my rig up in or near triple digits with no issues as well as riding twisties like it is not there. What I have found is if I have any kind of wiggle from the trailer my rear suspention is too soft. I had this happen a couple of times and solved my issues by turning up the preload on the rear. The more weight in the trailer the more preload is needed.

Anyway that's my 2c.

Hey, I was just wondering about other people's experiences with single-wheeled trailers. I recently picked one up which was made by Third Wheel Trailers it looks like a great rig, and as advertised tested at high speeds. Anyway, there are two types of hitch-ups for these rigs, one they call the "Sportbike Version" (won't work on FJR's) and the other being for all others. The Sportbike version looks great and mounts to the bikes rear axle, as used on the designers Hayabusa, giving no load on the suspension and a very solid mount. The other version (FJR type) is simply a quick-coupler that mounts to a third party trailer hitch.
I built my own hitch and tried the trailer, well that was an experience! The damn thing was very prone to what I would call speed wobbles. I came home a bit nerved-up, I had an accident because of a speed wobble years ago, bad memories. Anyway, I shook the trailer form side to side to see what the issue was and found the quick-coupler had a bit of play in it. I e-mailed the company's owner and he was aware that this coupler wasn't as secure as it should be. The fix for this was to drill and tap a couple of holes to eliminate the slop. After this was cured, I still found the trailer to wobble way too easily, so I added some gussets to the hitch to remove any flex from it. After lots of testing, I found the trailer to work great unloaded, up to 140 kph, but adding cargo causes the wobble again. Upon returning home, I again pushed the trailer to try to see where it was flexing and it appeared to be the tail-section of the frame!! Not a good situation, that could lead to metal fatigue and possibly a very bad crash.

Anyway, I am looking for any trailering experiences from other FJR guys, this one I strongly recommend against!

Well you can take what I say for what you want. I am currently towing a home made 1 wheel with an ST1300 with no issues. I am using a unigo hitch with a trailer I designed. I don't have a hitch on my wifes FJR so I can not say how it would tow, but I would think it would be the same as my ST.

I have had my rig up in or near triple digits with no issues as well as riding twisties like it is not there. What I have found is if I have any kind of wiggle from the trailer my rear suspention is too soft. I had this happen a couple of times and solved my issues by turning up the preload on the rear. The more weight in the trailer the more preload is needed.

Anyway that's my 2c.

Hey, thanks for the input on the ST, I'm not sure of the differences in the tail sections of both bikes, but the trailer I have does not like any kind of speed with much load in it. The tongue weight is almost 30lbs when empty, and I always run the bike with the suspension in the "hard" position. I have been in contact with the trailer's manufacturer and he has been dealing with the same issue on a BMW. There is another customer of his running an FJR and supposedly likes it, but he doesn't know what hitch the guy is using, I can't imagine that should matter too much, mine is super sturdy.

I guess I'll be selling the trailer and looking for a 2-wheeled one :-(

I wonder if any of the issues you are seeing are due to the short length of the trailer or if it could be air flow related.

I happen to have both a 1 wheel and a 2 wheel. If you are down this way you are more than welcome to give either a pull to make sure things work before you buy another trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can take what I say for what you want. I am currently towing a home made 1 wheel with an ST1300 with no issues. I am using a unigo hitch with a trailer I designed.
I would be interested in more info or photos you have of the single wheel trailer you designed. I am thinking about building one also. Thanks.

Well you can take what I say for what you want. I am currently towing a home made 1 wheel with an ST1300 with no issues. I am using a unigo hitch with a trailer I designed.
I would be interested in more info or photos you have of the single wheel trailer you designed. I am thinking about building one also. Thanks.
Here is both the pdf of the design and a pic of it behint my ST.

ST_Trailer.JPG

Link to a PDF of the design

https://people.delphiforums.com/dgula/Pics/...eel_trailer.pdf

I've had a UNI-GO for nearly 5yrs. Only time it flutters, is if you don't take up the slack in the hitch-u joint.(a simple twist of thumbscrew)

am not familiar with the model in question but i know several people who moved from 2 wheeler to 1 wheel trailers (Unigo brand). they, to a person, love their unigo. it has a very specific, RIGID MOUNT hitch. there's no ball and no swivel-hinge at the mounting location. the way i understand from looking at them, it's as if the trailer becomes an extension of the frame.

I have to say I think your design is absolutely ingenious. I love the use of a small car top box and the low overall height - it certainly looks like you would hardly feel this while cornering.

I wonder if any of the issues you are seeing are due to the short length of the trailer or if it could be air flow related.
I happen to have both a 1 wheel and a 2 wheel. If you are down this way you are more than welcome to give either a pull to make sure things work before you buy another trailer.
Where do you live?

Excellent job, and thanks for sharing your design.

am not familiar with the model in question but i know several people who moved from 2 wheeler to 1 wheel trailers (Unigo brand). they, to a person, love their unigo. it has a very specific, RIGID MOUNT hitch. there's no ball and no swivel-hinge at the mounting location. the way i understand from looking at them, it's as if the trailer becomes an extension of the frame.
But there is a U-joint that allows the trailer to pivot horizontally and vertically in relation to the tow vehicle. The horizontal pivot is essential for low-speed cornering, and the vertical pivot allows the trailer to move over bumps independently.

Where do you live?
I am in NH, just east of Concord.

The only issue could be finding a way to hitch your FJR to the hitch on my trailer.

I have to say I think your design is absolutely ingenious. I love the use of a small car top box and the low overall height - it certainly looks like you would hardly feel this while cornering.
I find it makes the bike feel a bit heaver in the turns, but one you get the feel of it there are no issues. I took it to NC this spring and I was still able to run off at will on the wing following me.

So no wheelies with it on....

:D

A wheelie-bar with a box!?! :blink:

Na they have a U joint in that direction. You can wheelie with them no problem!!!! LOL

Na they have a U joint in that direction. You can wheelie with them no problem!!!! LOL
Now that would make a great picture, bet it would even make it on the banner of ADVRider :)

I built a one-wheeled trailer utilizing items from Tractor Supply; A large plastic "Job Box", axle/bearings/hub/tire/wheel (4 lug 4.80x8) and a shock pillaged from an old mountain bike. It is a bit too big and I'm considering making another smaller one, but it is working well and I don't have to spend much time when packing.

Frame is 1 1/2" square tubing with 3/4" square tube beams that attach to the bottom of the box. Tapered steering stem bearings were utilized for the swingarm. A 2" thick walled tube was used, I.D. turned to fit the bearing races. Bar stock turned to fit the inner races, then the end threaded for the cap nut.

I utilized a GL1500 driveshaft U-joint which had to be ground out to allow a greater range of motion. The U-joint was welded to a standard class I hitch coupler that I cut the ball mount off of and turned down to fit in the U-joint.

All lighting is LED and utilizes a flat 5 connector (no relays or other circuits needed). The hitch is a "Classic Industries" hitch that attaches to the foot peg/muffler mounts on the bottom and to the rear frame at the top via 1" flat stock. I added a "receiver" and gusset to the hitch.

I have pulled this trailer at triple digit speeds for short periods of time. I have about 2K miles on it now and can report no "wobble" issues, to this point.

Proper packing of the trailer is important; keep heavier items to the back when possible. Also try to balance the load Left/Right. And adding preload to your rear shock is A MUST!

trailer.jpg

More pics available here: https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021...mp;l=86eb551478