Skooled by a light bulb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if those leds cause a rapid blink rate requiring a diode to correct back to normal?
the ones I've used as replacements (classic '83 Goldwing) have that "circuit" built in...so plug and play
What is this you speak of?
had to look it up

https://www.superbrightleds.com
I'll look at this more 2morrow on the fast connection - tx for the input!

In all honesty, the bulb is the first place I would have looked. Anytime the taillight and brake light actions get crossed up, there's a broken filament touching the other one. Seen it a hunnert times. Sorry you lost all that time in the harness . . . .

In some cars it leads to all kinds of bizarre behavior, like dash lights going out when you hit the brakes, stuff like that.

Wouldn't have been able to help you with the kill switch, though. Them old non-electronic bikes confuse me. How can shit work without chips and circuits black boxes and stuff??!?!?!
Wow - I've NEVER seen x'd filaments in any of my vehicles, including dual sports, off-road chase trucks, etc, LOL. Called me skooled now, it won't happen again!
In my feeble defense, which I need to reconsider, the bike had just recently been re-wired.. so I was heading in that direction of complexity. My good bud said it best but I won't repeat it here... :huh:

...and for them 'electronic circuits'? Jeesh, the 87-91 Xr Honda motors have zero, nada, zilch cdi's available anymore. What the phook happened to points anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
...and for them 'electronic circuits'? Jeesh, the 87-91 Xr Honda motors have zero, nada, zilch cdi's available anymore. What the phook happened to points anyway?
When I had my 76 Bultaco Matador SD I was riding an enduro and managed to dislodge the grommet that the magneto wiring passed through while crossing a muddy waterhole. The points got covered with with a nice gooey coating and would no longer perform their intended function of shorting the charged capacitor to ground.

I had to use a matchbook cover to clean the points to get the bike running again.

Not only can you not find points anymore I don't know where I can find a matchbook to fix the points.

Just wait until all these more recent EFI bikes are 20 years old and you can't buy the sensors and computers for them. We'll all be looking for some old Mikunis to keep our bikes on the road. :(