Skyway Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,Took some digis...so little damage it is hard to see....just scuff marks on the slider-no damage to fairing. I don't know how to insert pix in these posts but I can emal them to you if you PM me an address.

Thanks,

RR

Hey Krashdragon,

Forgot to mention...originally from Lorain...lived in Avon Lake...we were near neighbors once!

Hope all is well on the lake.

Ron
cool.... I actually got my liscene plates in Avon Lake... I live in Medina, but I just moved here from Hawaii.....<G>

Mary

So on the topic of Skyway's sliders...

I was a bit hesitant at first, but thought why not, just in case..

Well just installed them last week and they look great, I returned from a great ride out to Palm Springs and back, pulled up to the garage and asked my son to back out the bike as I moved my car out. Sure enough he laid my baby down, completely my mistake....as I should have known he was not familiar with the bike...the slider saved the front end, but received a few scratches as the rear bag hit my Audi TT.....

So extremly happy with the sliders....anybody have references for touch up paint for the bags?

So on the topic of Skyway's sliders...
I was a bit hesitant at first, but thought why not, just in case..

Well just installed them last week and they look great, I returned from a great ride out to Palm Springs and back, pulled up to the garage and asked my son to back out the bike as I moved my car out. Sure enough he laid my baby down, completely my mistake....as I should have known he was not familiar with the bike...the slider saved the front end, but received a few scratches as the rear bag hit my Audi TT.....

So extremly happy with the sliders....anybody have references for touch up paint for the bags?
Sure, no prob...

https://www.color-rite.com/

Ian,

Took some digis...so little damage it is hard to see....just scuff marks on the slider-no damage to fairing. I don't know how to insert pix in these posts but I can emal them to you if you PM me an address.

Thanks,

RR

Hey Krashdragon,

Forgot to mention...originally from Lorain...lived in Avon Lake...we were near neighbors once!

Hope all is well on the lake.

Ron
cool.... I actually got my liscene plates in Avon Lake... I live in Medina, but I just moved here from Hawaii.....<G>

Mary
Now Mary,

I moved from Cleveland to Florida/NM....and you moved from Hawaii to Cleveland???...one of us missed something :)

Will the sliders fit on an 05?
Yes, but the Bobbins would have to be attached to the Moto-type bracket. Unless he is making a slider long enough to bolt through the fairing and into the motormount.
The sliders for the 03-05 model year WILL need the Moko setup first. They are only replacements for the existing kit.

The 06 version is a complete kit.

Will the sliders fit on an 05?
Yes, but the Bobbins would have to be attached to the Moto-type bracket. Unless he is making a slider long enough to bolt through the fairing and into the motormount.
The sliders for the 03-05 model year WILL need the Moko setup first. They are only replacements for the existing kit.

The 06 version is a complete kit.
Skyway - Got an ETA on your next batch? I'm getting nervous reading all these new crash/tip over posts on the forum... :huh:

And thanks to Ian....turning into my driveway today my fjr stalled and went on its right side. The Skyway slider not only protected the fairing completely.....it took a hunk out of the cement ...as if to say...how dare you strike my FJR Thanks, Ian....quality piece ...not only looks good....works good...Ron
Skyway - I've got a new 06 that I'd like to put your sliders on. How long does it normally take for you to make them? Also, you said that they're like $88 for the pair to your paypal address?

Thanks

gski :p

I asked in another thread, but this one seems more appropriate. I understand how typical[1] frame sliders work, they absorb the energy and self destruct instead of transferring that energy to the frame. How does a machined metal slider deal with the transfer of energy from an impact?

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm seriously currious.

[1] Bobbins of nylon/plastic/cf/etc and tough (not hard/brittle) bolts.

I remember when this discussion was on Joos' board a year or more ago. It seems that Hans was offering some made of Titanium (or other "unobtanium metal"). IIRC, the discussion boiled down to the fact, as you mentioned, that such a hard metal not only transferred the entire shock to the bike, but then became a brittle sliding material that turned the now horizontal FJR into a sled.

I think (believe, hope, etc.) that since the Skyway rendition is made of aluminum they would be of soft enough material to absorb some of the initial shock, then wear away during any slide, thus acting like a brake, just like the original plastic bobbins.

Of course, none of us is willing to contribute our motorcycles to the pavement for testing, and we don't own a lab, so the rest is theory and conjecture.

I remember when this discussion was on Joos' board a year or more ago. It seems that Hans was offering some made of Titanium (or other "unobtanium metal"). IIRC, the discussion boiled down to the fact, as you mentioned, that such a hard metal not only transferred the entire shock to the bike, but then became a brittle sliding material that turned the now horizontal FJR into a sled.
I think (believe, hope, etc.) that since the Skyway rendition is made of aluminum they would be of soft enough material to absorb some of the initial shock, then wear away during any slide, thus acting like a brake, just like the original plastic bobbins.

Of course, none of us is willing to contribute our motorcycles to the pavement for testing, and we don't own a lab, so the rest is theory and conjecture.
Hey Mike, I just noticed that the post on this message is # 1500. You have been trying to fool us in the past with sometime like "I sure am working a lot lately" 1500 posts put you in the same league as TWN, is that what you want??<lol> see you in July at Reno buddy.

Hey Mike, I just noticed that the post on this message is # 1500. You have been trying to fool us in the past with sometime like "I sure am working a lot lately" 1500 posts put you in the same league as TWN, is that what you want??<lol> see you in July at Reno buddy.
Yes, Dave, lots of posts, but this place is my therapy-outlet rather than sitting in front of the "other tube". :)