• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's '06 FJR Frame Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian:
I wonder if you could produce a longer set of sliders for an '06 that could double as highway pegs?

Anyone ever try using the existing length sliders as pegs? Is the heat a problem on the '06?

Mike
Mike,

I can't answer that question cause my bike is a vintage '04. I think the earlier comments of adding a highway peg kit to my slider might offer the best solution.

Ian:

I wonder if you could produce a longer set of sliders for an '06 that could double as highway pegs?

Anyone ever try using the existing length sliders as pegs? Is the heat a problem on the '06?

Mike
Mike,

I can't answer that question cause my bike is a vintage '04. I think the earlier comments of adding a highway peg kit to my slider might offer the best solution.

I'll wait until I get them and take a look... I've thought about wild bills, but where his go, I can only imagine busting my shins on the fairing. Putting my feet where they go has only yeilded this in tests for me so far.

I was originally thinking about modding a set of skyways sliders or something similar because I've seen others try it. But now that I have my 06, I'm not really convinced that would actually be all that comfortable.

I'll check when I get mine.

Skyway, Those are beautiful sliders you've created. I'll order a pair just as soon as I sell my 05 and get an 06 AE!

Whoo hoo! I've farkled, I've FARKLED!!!

Skyway, you will forever own my farkle cherry... for what absolutely little that is worth.

Beautiful work and easy install.

For the dolts like me: long slider goes on the left.

And speaking of the left/right, I forgot to torque the left side first. How bad is that? Did I screw something up? I undid them and then did the left first followed by the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoo hoo! I've farkled, I've FARKLED!!!
Skyway, you will forever own my farkle cherry... for what absolutely little that is worth.

Beautiful work and easy install.

For the dolts like me: long slider goes on the left.

And speaking of the left/right, I forgot to torque the left side first. How bad is that? Did I screw something up? I undid them and then did the left first followed by the right.
So you got them already eh? CA to MI in 2 days, not bad for Mr. USPS Priority Mail.

I'm sorry to tell you that you gone done and 'effed up your bike by not following my instructions, sorry. :(

J/K left side first, as the engine is located by the left side of the frame.

I ran out to my mailbox in anticipation but nothing, nadda... <_<

Of course Murphy strikes and the'll arrive tomorrow after I've left for my trip. Here's to hoping I don't drop it. :D

Yeah, I was very suprised to find them in my mailbox yesterday. Must pay off to live just a couple of miles from the airport. At least that's my theory.

Regardless, and not like this man needs yet another endorsement, but if you're on the fence about getting these, get off and buy them. Sweet looking farkle for your ride that'll keep your sweet looking ride looking sweet by limiting damage.

...one too many 'sweet'?

Blue sliders look nice in the pic but I think on the bike (again according to the pics) the polished ones give it a sense of class.

Mike

happy to have my 06 skyway's on, but forgot i had expressed interest in the blue. skyway, apparently, did not! anyway, since i have the bigarse polished bar ends, think the polished aluminum sliders would look better.

anybody want to trade for blue? ian? i'll pay the shipping...

shu

sliders%20004.jpg
sliders%20005.jpg
sliders%20006.jpg
sliders%20007.jpg

OK, mine are now installed (about 4 days too late!)

So who's tested these?

What still hits and what doesn't? I was suprised when mine fell on the left side that only a small _tiny_ part of the top fairing took a little ding. The mirror however took *most* of it as did the engine casing. I think the engine casing will still take a hit till it gets to the slider. Will that keep the mirror good too?

Anyone know?

How about the right side.

Thank you to... garauld for telling me to try a Chevy Indigo Blue paint stick... Damn near perfect match :yahoo:

the polished ones give it a sense of class.
Alas, the '03 to '05 crowd don't have the option of polished sliders. :cray:
Welllll, ex--scyuuuuse me! But I have a set of polished Skyway sliders on MY '05. And your problem with that would be........??? :blink: :lol:

Any owner who has the Motovation or Moko brackets can mount the Skyway sliders to THAT bracket in place of the Delrin bobbins.

I think the engine casing will still take a hit till it gets to the slider. Will that keep the mirror good too?

That's why many of us run the carbon fiber alternator cover from Bikejohnny. I have the FZ-1 mirrors on my '05. Not only do I get a wider view but they seem to fold a little easier. I don't think that's an option with the '06's, but I'm going to take a look at WFO. I'm going to have a machinist friend parked next to me so perhaps we can "brainstorm" (Which will create much heat and light, but that's all!). There has to be a way!

The clutch cover on the right side is a bit "higher" in the frame and a little more "inboard" so its unlikely that it would be in harms way.

I think the engine casing will still take a hit till it gets to the slider. Will that keep the mirror good too?

That's why many of us run the carbon fiber alternator cover from Bikejohnny. I have the FZ-1 mirrors on my '05. Not only do I get a wider view but they seem to fold a little easier. I don't think that's an option with the '06's, but I'm going to take a look at WFO. I'm going to have a machinist friend parked next to me so perhaps we can "brainstorm" (Which will create much heat and light, but that's all!). There has to be a way!

The clutch cover on the right side is a bit "higher" in the frame and a little more "inboard" so its unlikely that it would be in harms way.
Oh, the 06 mirrors, fold just fine, I can promise you that, and could show you the scratches too before I touched them up :)

Will look into the alternator cover, I thought it was kinda pricey.

Ian,

You'll have another order for th 06 sliders coming to you tomorrow via snail mail check. Hope all's well with your family health situation. Looking forward to adding more miles to the new bike!

Thanks,

Jay

:D

anyway, since i have the bigarse polished bar ends, think the polished aluminum sliders would look better.

shu

shu, I'll gladly trade them for you. When you return them to me, please include all of your shipping info and I'll get a set of polished off to you ASAP. ;)

anyway, since i have the bigarse polished bar ends, think the polished aluminum sliders would look better.

shu

shu, I'll gladly trade them for you. When you return them to me, please include all of your shipping info and I'll get a set of polished off to you ASAP. ;)
thanks ian,

was hoping to save you the hassle, but i really DO think i would like the polished better....

i'll pop em off this weekend. please save a set of polished for me so i won't be without too long. and if you sell a set of blue, i still have the box and everything, and i can ship them to the new buyer for you, but if i don't hear anything, i'll send them straight back to you on monday..

thanks again,

shu

Skyway's as Highway's

OK, so I put my Skyways on and was rolling down the road the other day. I stuck my feet out and put them on the sliders. Not too bad. Now if they were only Oh, say an inch and a half longer the would have been good.

I'd put a little bit of grip tape on the back and call it done.

Maybe it's just me, and the 06's fairings are just too fat because the slide out? Wild Bills highway pegs to me just look like shin busters. I've tried to imagine them being there and putting my feet where they'd go I just bash my shins and they aren't out far enough to suit me.

How hard would it be to make up a longer set Ian?

-MD

They were waiting for me when I got home, the look great, will put them on tomorrow. Thanks sky.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.