• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's '06 FJR Frame Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welllll, ex--scyuuuuse me! But I have a set of polished Skyway sliders on MY '05. And your problem with that would be........??? :blink: :lol:
Any owner who has the Motovation or Moko brackets can mount the Skyway sliders to THAT bracket in place of the Delrin bobbins.
Skyway,

Is madmike2 correct? You now have POLISHED sliders for the '05?

How much? Can I exchange the unused former standard aluminum

sliders for the new polished ones?

I am tempted to be envious of mm2's polished sliders he says he has.

Pics, MM2, pics.

I have shiny Jarma bar ends, and now I want shiny sliders on my '05

(Is that gay? Never mind...don't answer that, as I know what WC would

say.)

Tough crowd here! (oh, yeah, madmike2... :bleh: )

Sky, got mine a fews weeks ago. Haven't put them on yet. Just haven't had to the time since I have been away since I got them. But I will as soon as I get back. Got lotsa compliments from everyone one at work who rides. . . . Thanks again!

Left side first? Longer bolt on the left?

What happens if you overtorque the left side, then torque it correctly, torque the right side, loosen the left side and retorque?

Have a new torque wrench, haven't torqued squat for years, used to use the old wrentch with the arrow. As I attempted to torque the left side I was listening to the "click." Didn't hear it and to way overtorqued the left side, figured out how the wrentch worke and what to listen for, loosened it up and re did it slowly. Then I did the right side, curiousity hit me and I loosened the left and re did it, then I realized I needed to torque the left side first so I loosened the right, torqued the left and re torqued the right. Ok, that is why I take the bike to the dealer for work, as far a mechanics go I am a idiot, that is a given.

Now, I hear major rattling from the front end, never heard that before, sounds like there is major "looseness" of the plastic, and when I come to a sharp stop, sounds like metal hasn't been tightened, sounds like the bolts aren't tight enough and you get some slippage. Seems funny that the two may be related but I have seen weirder things in my life.

What could be the problem with the noise in the front end?

Mike

What happens if you overtorque the left side, then torque it correctly, torque the right side, loosen the left side and retorque?
Have a new torque wrench, haven't torqued squat for years, used to use the old wrentch with the arrow. As I attempted to torque the left side I was listening to the "click." Didn't hear it and to way overtorqued the left side, figured out how the wrentch worke and what to listen for, loosened it up and re did it slowly. Then I did the right side, curiousity hit me and I loosened the left and re did it, then I realized I needed to torque the left side first so I loosened the right, torqued the left and re torqued the right. Ok, that is why I take the bike to the dealer for work, as far a mechanics go I am a idiot, that is a given.

Now, I hear major rattling from the front end, never heard that before, sounds like there is major "looseness" of the plastic, and when I come to a sharp stop, sounds like metal hasn't been tightened, sounds like the bolts aren't tight enough and you get some slippage. Seems funny that the two may be related but I have seen weirder things in my life.

What could be the problem with the noise in the front end?

Mike
IMHO, take it to a dealer, tell them the story and have them check it out.

Received my set in the mail today. I gotta say the pictures don't do them juctice, they are beeeaautiful! :D I would swear that I felt my feejr baby shiver when I held them up beside the motor mount bolt. Hope to get 'em on the bike Fri. Thanks Skyway. :clapping:

Now taking orders. A fellow FJR owner took time out of his day to allow me to do a mock up of the sliders on his '06 FJR. They will fit both the 'A' and 'AE' model.
Both sliders are a little different in terms of how they need to bolt up to the bike, but will appear the same when mounted. Installation instructions are provided with each kit. No fairing removal necessary for installation.

They will also protect the upper fairing when its adjusted outward.

Material 6061 Billet Aluminum, supplied with necessary mounting hardware.

Price delivered to the lower 48 $85.00 ($88.00 via PayPal to [email protected])

If you prefer, snail mail a check payable to Ian Laing and mail it to:

Skyway

16928 B Crestview Drive

Sonora, CA 95370

Pictures courtesy of Kaitsdad's 2006 'A' FJR.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Hi Skyway,

I'm interested in your sliders but I'm curious about protection they offer in a tip over. How far do the sliders stick out from the frame?

TIA,

Pat

I got my Skyway Sliders today. It took all of 5min to do the install. The sliders are first class. I am impressed. Thanks Ian.

Hi Skyway,
I'm interested in your sliders but I'm curious about protection they offer in a tip over. How far do the sliders stick out from the frame?

TIA,

Pat
FJRPat,

I 'tested' Skyway's sliders during our ride to WFO5.

Those are pictures of my bike above, by the way.

I did a full lock, stall out drop - no forward movement.

The only parts that contacted the asphalt were:

Slider (left side, bottom edge)

Bag - (left side, bottom edge)

If you didn't know to look for the damage, you would not know it was there.

Granted, if you're going to drop your bike, the way I did it is optimum.

While at WFO5, I saw an 06A that had been dropped on the right side, with Yamaha sliders - as those sliders are shorter/smaller, and the bike had rotated on the slider - so the upper part of the bike (mirror, tupperware, bag) all contacted and were scratched, and IMHO, did not benefit the bike in any way. Had that bike been wearing Skyway sliders, the damage would be minimal.

I'll grab some pics later and get them posted - Before and After.

To summarize - buy the Skyway sliders. They were designed by an FJR owner, not a marketing committee. Word.

I've dropped my 06 twice now... [Damit]

Both pre-Skyway-fitment.

Both on the left side, both drops were heavily cushioned by my shin and shear brute strength.

Damage to the 06 was primarily: Left mirror edge, scraped all to hell as it folded inward. [Touch-up paint covers this up sooo nicely that you wouldn't notice unless you really,really look for it, in fact I won't be replacing the mirror]

Two really teeny little dings in the upper part of the Tupperware. Also touched up. NO biggie and some little dings on the lower part of the bag that quite frankly look like something you might get from a gravel road anyway.

The Skyways are on now and I feel much better. Though I was really, really impressed with the little damage that ensued.

Oh, the Engine case looks like ass now on that side, but that was more from picking it up than dropping it I think.

I'll grab one of those on eBay when I see one.

To summarize - buy the Skyway sliders. They were designed by an FJR owner, not a marketing committee. Word.

Ok, got a URL or phone # or something? When I google Skyway Sliders, all I get are postings from the forum!

Ok, got a URL or phone # or something? When I google Skyway Sliders, all I get are postings from the forum!

See first post... There is a paypal address there. Send money to this magical paypal addres and they just show up in your mailbox about a week or two later. :yahoo:

See first post... There is a paypal address there. Send money to this magical paypal addres and they just show up in your mailbox about a week or two later. :yahoo:

Ha, ha. Thanks, my bad. Didn't see the first post. But before I pay, can someone answer the question I'm dying to know? Can I get the shiny pretty ones for the '03 or do they currently only fit the '06? They look super sharp in these pics on the blue feejer - damn nice looking farkle.

OK, so I sent skyway money, e-mailed him, PM'd him and have heard nothing.

I know skyway has been online so how about replying to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I sent skyway money, e-mailed him, PM'd him and have heard nothing.I know skyway has been online so how about replying to me.
Wallygator, please check your spam folder or wherever you check your email as I responded to it as soon as I saw it. I also just sent you a PM.

thank you, pm received

can't wait to see the product, they look very nice

gator

OK, so I sent skyway money, e-mailed him, PM'd him and have heard nothing.

I know skyway has been online so how about replying to me.
Wallygator, please check your spam folder or wherever you check your email as I responded to it as soon as I saw it. I also just sent you a PM.

Ian,

I gathered from these recent posts that you're still doing sliders so I snail mailed you a check. I think I forgot to mention that it's for an '06.

Thanks in advance,

Mark W.

SLC, UT

Status
Not open for further replies.