Sliders suggestions...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymech

Reaction score
ok... while I am waiting to go and collect my bike, I'd like to buy sliders and any protective equipment for the bike that y'all would recommend before I start on the farkles... any suggestions?

where do I start?? :)

Just installed these on Saturday...

Good news is because of the aluminum sleeve inside the slider, the effect of compression is reduced. In thoery, this means they should just stay tight when torqued properly... but as usual, check and recheck after riding. :)

No drama, easy install.

...and learn from my lesson... no threadlocker... ;)

I use these on my Australian 07, fitted in ten minutes . No I havent tried them out and dont want to but they seem the goods. :clapping:
thanks! Those are the ones I had shortlisted too... dont want to spend too much nor would want to skimp on the protection!

thanks again everyone!!

I have Motovation sliders on my bike. I have tested them once in a zero speed drop. Only a few small marks on the right side bag and a small scratch on the right mirror side. I think that event paid for the cost of the sliders in full.

I put the T-Rex sliders on my '03 with the Delrin spools. Only about $70. Haven't needed them yet. There was no cutting involved and they went on easy with the exception of one bolt that - even though I was quite careful - tended to cross-thread. I had to put a tap in there to straighten things up.

Good news is because of the aluminum sleeve inside the slider, the effect of compression is reduced. In thoery, this means they should just stay tight when torqued properly... but as usual, check and recheck after riding. :)

No drama, easy install.

...and learn from my lesson... no threadlocker... ;)

I also have these installed on mine.

Very cheap investment compared to not having them on if something happens.

My wife's 250 was knocked over and it was totaled as a result by the insurance company.

Needless to say that was the day I ordered mine.

+1 on the OES Accessories. Super easy install, good price, look great. Do they work? I don't know and hope to never find out!

good slider - this is R&G ($100), but so are Motivation $90) and OES ($50)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=102803&hl

DSC_0010.jpg

bad slider -> T-Rex or No Name on ebay ($15-$30)

ya kinda, usually get what ya pay for

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry481348

P1060081.jpg

In addition to the sliders discussed above, I would suggest a "Fenda Extenda" for the front fender. $37.98 + T&S from Cal. Sport Touring to help protect the lower fairing and radiator.

OBD

guess I'm a little "lost"... when going through the "bin of facts" I had thought that it was written that the "sliders" that attached to the frame vs the one bolt one's where better??? kinda new here, but that one stuck out in my mind?? Is there really an advantage because I see that most of the suggestions are saying the "1" bolt ones work just fine??? Kevin

ok... while I am waiting to go and collect my bike, I'd like to buy sliders and any protective equipment for the bike that y'all would recommend before I start on the farkles... any suggestions?where do I start?? :)
Sliders = Motovation, visit Motovationusa.com

I have the R&G sliders and there is an active thread suggesting the cheaper bolts used can fudge up and and strip the aluminum threads (I hope not on mine). My sliders have been tested lightly twice and worked well.

The thread containing the above pic of a T-Rex is explained by the manufacturer as a bad batch of delrin and they now use the same as other quality manufacturers. Read the thread to the end and they replaced all returned sliders and were honest and up-front (I think -- no attachment with them from me). T-Rex says they have sorted out their manufacturing process and use quality parts now.

I don't know what I'm going to use. What do peeps use to lubricate the bolts with before torquing them in place? Or do you use nothing but dry threads?

Being a new FJR owner (used 2005 bike), I'm interested in frame sliders. Sooner or later, I'll drop this beast. After looking at the photos of the split T-Rex sliders, I asked them about the problem through E-Bay about the no-cut kits for the early bikes they have on E-Bay. This is the response I got:

Hi,

This is Tom. I am the technical manager at T-Rex Racing. We did have a batch that was tried with injection-molded method a little over two years ago. We found out that on some sliders, there was an issue with a bubble at the base of the sliders causing it to fail. We totally scrapped the project then. We have been machining the frame sliders from solid rods, the same plastic the R&G uses. All the frame sliders have aluminum inserts inside. We use the highest grade bolts available, 12.9. We tell our customers that if they can break the sliders with the biggest hammer they can find. We will refund him 2x the amount that he paid.

Although the problem only happened to SOME of the older sliders, we encourage our customers that have them to contact us at [email protected] for replacements. The sliders are 5" in length for the 06-07 fjr1300 models.

The problem did not apply to other year, other model, or 03-05 fjr1300.

Thank you for asking

Tom

I haven't made up my mind yet, but am considering trying these. I like the idea of the sliders mounted on a bracket instead of drilling holes in the fairing. I realize that's probably not really logical. Has anyone else bought one of the T-Rex no-cut kits for the early bikes (e-bay item #140333030773)?

Karl