Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
It has been suggested that I might add sliders to protect my fairing.

Today, I've watched Jerry 'Motorman' Palladino's new Ride-Like-A-Pro DVD. It's quite obvious that I need a whole lot of slow speed practice on the drills he shows. However, I'm afraid of dropping my bike while practicing. I'm hoping that some sliders would save the fairing from a slow speed tumble.

Your opinions?

I think everyone here agrees............. Get them!A lot of bikes here have been saved by them.
+1 Definitely. get 'em _before_ tipping the bike (unlike some of us) :blushing:

+1 on the save... TWICE! :eek:

As far as what is out there, I found several options by searching around. I didn't really like the price or design of most so I did it myself.

I bought a pair of sliders for a GSXR (because they were the longest I could find) and I had a local shop fab some custom spacers. Replaced my 2 main engine mounting bolts with Grade 8 all-thread and drilled the fairing in "JUST" the right spot. :ph34r:

Results: The plastic slider begins right at the fairing edge and gives me maximum protection. I have had the bike on the right side twice (story for each) and it saved me the $$$$$$$$$ for that fairing both times. :bleh:

Anyway, I can't recommend them enough!

Had the R&G sliders since before Moko had a product. Have a set of Moko's waiting to go on when I swap out the 03 lowers for 04s as part of a repaint project. I have no complaints about R&G and consider them a better designed product for absolute protection if you don't mind drilling your plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill, If I remember right I got my Moko frame sliders from

https://www.whaccessories.com/YamahaFJR1300accessories.htm

And this was during a group buy in late '03 when the '04s started being delivered. It was about $150 and no drilling the fairing to install them as with some other brands. With all the chatter about '06s about to be delivered U might consider starting a group buy to save cost. I don't ever expect to use mine but they sure look cool on the bike. Will the present Mokos fit an '06? don't know but they sure will fit your '03. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

R&Gs. Saved my plastic once on a slow lowering in the garage. Go ahead, drill the holes and forget it!

tyronewildman, no one ever EXPECTS the Spanish Inquisition! MOKOs were my first farkle after lurking on the Forum for a while before my '05 was delivered. Get 'em, sleep well at night.

I wouldn't let other people ride my new FJR until I put the R&G sliders on. After the bike was only a month old my daughter dropped it in a low speed traffic incident. Would have been some expensive repairs if it weren't for the sliders. I'm afraid the Mokos would not have protected the lowers as well as the R&Gs did because they sit up higher.

On the flip side, the R&G sliders require that you remove the engine mount bolt every time you remove the plastic. Some folks have had the engine mount threads strip out from excessive wear and had to install heli coils. You won't have this problem with the Moko style. I try not to remove the plastic any more than absolutely necessary.

White%20Castle.jpg

Something to keep in mind is most sliders are designed to save your frame/engine from damage in the event of a get off. They are not designed to save your plastic. While they may do this in some events, that's not really what they're intention/design is for. Alot of frame sliders will not stick out far enough to actually protect your plastics, but will save the frame from being ground down while horizontally asphalt surfing.

Having said that, I personally have Moko frame sliders on my FJR. I like the idea that I don't have to constantly remove the engine bolts every time I have to take the fairing off. Not having to cut into the body work was another plus for me.

Jill, the better plastic protection is going to be with the R&G sliders... hands down. I have personally tested these & give them high marks. The downside being drilling the fairing. Once they're on you don't even realize that it's been drilled... unless "you" know it's been drilled. I wouldn't even consider having to remove the bolt from the engine to remove your fairing a reason not to use these. Whoever removes your fairing should not remove the actual slider from the plastic & as long as they don't over torque the bolt when replacing it... well, there goes any worries of stripping the threads. Be sure that the person working on your bike, if not yourself, knows this and you're good to go.

I have no experience w/ the Moko's... but I'm sure that you can see for yourself, because of the position of the slider, which will offer better plastics protection. No rocket science needed... just a few pics of the positioning of the Moko vs R&G. Judge for ye' self.

Heidi

Edited to say... I forgot to add the "where" info: My sliders came from www.bikejohnny.com. There are lots of FJR goodies available on this site. The owner is a UK destributor but will deliver to the US. He's also a Feej owner & supports the FJR community. There may be a US distributor of these, now... not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to keep in mind is most sliders are designed to save your frame/engine from damage in the event of a get off.  They are not designed to save your plastic. While they may do this in some events, that's not really what they're intention/design is for.  Alot of frame sliders will not stick out far enough to actually protect your plastics, but will save the frame from being ground down while horizontally asphalt surfing.
Just to add a little, possibly obvious, info to this explanation, I was told not long ago that sliders are actually designed to keep the bike sliding (and not tumbling) in the event of a get off. Duh. Makes perfect sense, but never occured to my feeble brain before I was told so. I've witnessed an FJR (not mine and confidentiality code prohibits me from disclosing) doing the slide thing, and Mokos work as advertised! I got mine from AF-1 Racing

Something to keep in mind is most sliders are designed to save your frame/engine from damage in the event of a get off.  They are not designed to save your plastic. While they may do this in some events, that's not really what they're intention/design is for.  Alot of frame sliders will not stick out far enough to actually protect your plastics, but will save the frame from being ground down while horizontally asphalt surfing.
Just to add a little, possibly obvious, info to this explanation, I was told not long ago that sliders are actually designed to keep the bike sliding (and not tumbling) in the event of a get off. Duh. Makes perfect sense, but never occured to my feeble brain before I was told so. I've witnessed an FJR (not mine and confidentiality code prohibits me from disclosing) doing the slide thing, and Mokos work as advertised! I got mine from AF-1 Racing
+1

Call before midnight, and you get the free fallover protection bonus gift!