slime

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I plugged my rear tire on Sunday of last week, I checked the tire pressure on Friday and it was down to 20lbs, I checked the plug for leaks and sure enough it has a slight leak. Can I use Slime to seal the leak or can it be replugged? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Slime does work, it fixed my tire when I picked up a nail a few weeks ago. But I still had the tire replaced. Peace of mind was worth it to me. There is a very good step-by-step instruction around here somewhere how to remove the wheel, saved me $60 when I brought it in to put on the new tire.

If on the road, and need to make it to the next town for a proper repair, Slime away. Otherwise, pull the plug, plug again (use cement) until no leaks. I'll run a plug until the tire wears out, but not a fan of plugging and sliming. Slime is real messy when you replace the tire, and can cause corrosion to the aluminum rim.

Damn new Mac, no spell check, please forgive typos.

I know it sucks to have to replace what is an ALMOST good tire, but do it. There's only two of them on the road, and they need to be in excellent shape.

I am a fan of Ride-On. They have a formula for bikes, won't hurt the rims and handles high speed. My broth in law owns a truck company and all the trucks run with it too. I have pulled 2 screws out of tires with it and never a leak, as long as it is not in a side wall. I have changed 6 tires on 2 old Suzuki's with it and not rim corrosion noted, wiped right off clean

I've used the gooey felt plug strips many times, and rubber plugs a few times - over many many miles, with no problems.

If your hole is a fairly large diameter one and you have trouble getting a second plug attempt to seal....then yeah, I'd replace the tire.

Otherwise, give it another shot - but without the slime. Messy stuff that is good to have in an emergency at 2am on US50 in Nevada....but you'll hate cleaning the rim.

I'll have to look out for the Ride On product - sounds good.

A large hole might compromise the cord, but your typical nail puncture will not. Your call when you see the nature of the puncture, but don't let anyone scare you into thinking the tire is unsafe just because you ran over a nail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say only slime it if you have to (when a plug won't work) to get to a new tire.

If you use a self vulcanizing string plug, it won't leak (once it melts into the tire carcass after a good heat cycle) as long as the puncture is "pluggable." On a side note, many years ago when I raced, I used to buy punctured take off tires from a dealer and plug um and race on um till they were bald. A self vulcanizing plug is not going anywhere once its set. I have tried to pull them out of the insides of some of my used tires and they won't budge.. Even with a pliers.

WW

Slime is bad stuff. It does gnarly things to rims - like eat them.

Don't mess aroud - patch or replace that tire.

-BD

I say avoid slime and practice your plugging tecnique. Stop-n-go or the sticky strings both will work well if done correctly. I carry a small compressor on overnight trips just in case and it saved the day for a fellow rider two weeks ago when we were 20 miles North of Mexicali at 5 am. A good time to practice is when waiting to get a new tire installed.

OBD

If you use a self vulcanizing string plug, it won't leak (once it melts into the tire carcass after a good heat cycle) as long as the puncture is "pluggable.
WW
Yes, I agree... I've been using plugs on all of my vehicles for the past 15 years or so... Make sure you get the kit that comes with both the reamer and the plug insertion tool. You need to use the reamer to prep the hole before you using the plug.

I got a container of Slime when I bought my Slime Compact Pump but I won't use it. I'd say if the plug didn't take get a new tire. Sorry. :mellow:

I say only slime it if you have to (when a plug won't work) to get to a new tire.
If you use a self vulcanizing string plug, it won't leak (once it melts into the tire carcass after a good heat cycle) as long as the puncture is "pluggable." On a side note, many years ago when I raced, I used to buy punctured take off tires from a dealer and plug um and race on um till they were bald. A self vulcanizing plug is not going anywhere once its set. I have tried to pull them out of the insides of some of my used tires and they won't budge.. Even with a pliers.

WW
But then yer a hack who chops up his airbox an does unproven "hot rod" stuff to this very sensitive test bed fjr in pursuit of better performance :eek:

Fill it with oatmeal dood! That'll slow, if not stop, the uncontrolled bypass of air. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:jester:

Make sure you get the kit that comes with both the reamer and the plug insertion tool. You need to use the reamer to prep the hole before you using the plug.
I researched this heavily before using a sticky string/worm plug along with rubber cement in my own rear tire. One forum poster mentions taking them up to 150 mph and on the drag strip. Another mentions something like 13K miles on a plugged tire with no problems.

That was good enough advice for me. Those posts were from ~'05 btw.

The mushroom type plugs may not seal or may come apart because of the steel treads of the tire literally cutting them in 'tween.