SmartTire Pressure Monitor Not working???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcycle-ed

Reaction score
I bought this Smartire pressure monitor system and wired in the monitor device and it displays as it should. I have not installed the transimitters in the wheels yet, but wanted to be sure they worked. I taped them to the wheels so i could turn the wheels at 6 mph like the instructions said so I could "program" them. I could not get any response to the display unit when in the programming mode when turning the wheels. I even put the bike in gear and ran it up to 20 mph (on the centerstand), but no joy. Of course the tire "pressure" is zero since neither transmiter is actually inside the tire. Has anyone actually tried this? Maybe it wont transmit if there is no pressure?

Ed

You might be on to something, they maybe do require pressure to work. I'd get them mounted in the tires before I'd worry about it. If they don't work after that then they're defective and would need to be replaced anyway. The sending units are not servicable.

PS. I love mine.

You might be on to something, they maybe do require pressure to work. I'd get them mounted in the tires before I'd worry about it. If they don't work after that then they're defective and would need to be replaced anyway. The sending units are not servicable.
PS. I love mine.
LDRydr, how long have yours been working? Since batteries cannot be replaced, they are throwaways after that. They claim 5 years I think.

Ed

Only about 1.5 years so far, around 40,000 miles.

Keep this site handy, https://www.dickmantires.com/ in case you need spare parts. I had mine mounted on my Harley before the FJR and the H-D wheels were smaller, so the bands had been cut. I had to get new ones to mount on the FJR. They can take orders over the phone with a credit card. I had mine the next day (of course they're only a few hours away from me though).

Last edited by a moderator:
The SmartTire monitors that are screwed onto the valve stem don't transmit anything. They reflect, or echo what is sent them via the transceivers (long black things that afix to the front fork/ rear brake strut). Also you must calibrate them and to do so requries setting the air pressure on the display unit. Just follow the instruction and they sould work.

The SmartTire monitors that are screwed onto the valve stem don't transmit anything. They reflect, or echo what is sent them via the transceivers (long black things that afix to the front fork/ rear brake strut). Also you must calibrate them and to do so requries setting the air pressure on the display unit. Just follow the instruction and they sould work.
This is a different system from the SmartTire system.

I taped them to the wheels so i could turn the wheels at 6 mph like the instructions said so I could "program" them.
Ed, did you tape them "upside-down" to the wheels (i.e. skinny side touching the wheels)? Perhaps they have some sort of centrifugal switch. I was curious if they needed to be in the same orientation as a proper install in order to activate.

I've had the system on my FJR for a couple of years now and have been very pleased with it.

Based on this thread I went to the SmarTire web site, and it looks like they have discontinued their motorcycle products.

Our remaining motorcycle system stock can be purchased from Vulcan Tire listed below, or on ebay.
Vulcan Tire Sales

(Motorcycle Products)

USA
Vulcan's site shows the SmarTire motorcycle unit in stock.

I taped them to the wheels so i could turn the wheels at 6 mph like the instructions said so I could "program" them.
Ed, did you tape them "upside-down" to the wheels (i.e. skinny side touching the wheels)? Perhaps they have some sort of centrifugal switch. I was curious if they needed to be in the same orientation as a proper install in order to activate.

I've had the system on my FJR for a couple of years now and have been very pleased with it.
Yes, I taped them onto the center of the wheel in the position it would be in if it were mounted inside, so the centrifugal force would be exactly as installed.

Ed

This is my third year and they still works, very useful !

Be carefull with the installation, look at threthreads on this.

Please use a torque wrench do not over tight them !

The sending unit must be inside the tire to measure the pressure. I installed them on my FJR a couple months ago and they work great. There is no way the sensor could measure pressure unless it is under pressure inside the tire.

Monte

Kerrville, TX

side topic. Don't hit me.

I have had mine for almost a year now. And it seams that every time, or at least most of the time, first 5-10 minutes the yellow tire is flashing. But then it is all good. What am I doing wrong if anything?

Yes, I check the pressure and it is ok.

The sending unit must be inside the tire to measure the pressure. I installed them on my FJR a couple months ago and they work great. There is no way the sensor could measure pressure unless it is under pressure inside the tire.
Monte

Kerrville, TX
I understand, of course that the unit cannot measure the pressure INSIDE the tire unless it is INSIDE the tire, but I would have expected it to work taped to the rim outside the tire and measure zero psi. Otherwise, what would it read if it were INSIDE the tire and the tire went flat. There would be clearly zero pressure inside the tire? Maybe it wont work if the pressure is zero??????? Anyone who has one of these things willing to let all the air out and see what it does do?

Ed

Latest posts