Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should be a book titled "Zen and the Art of BBQ".... There is however a brief article that sums up the concept that all BBQ is equal: https://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/Zen-and-the-Art-of-BBQ
And I wouldn't disagree a bit - if I was paying for "history". When I'm getting 2lbs to go, I want good Q.

If it's my Q that's being served, I would rather they not walk away saying something like, "The Q was okay but at least his furniture was worn out!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure if you are caught selling bad barbaque in Texas, they'll hang you........ ;)

I was surprised that Missouri has been ranked high for its Q..... Kansas City, and Saint Louis especially. There's 3 big competitions in the area each year. Always a good time to attend. We are known here for our BBQ Pork Steaks....(sliced pork butts) and of course the ribs. And it seems, BBQ pigs snout.

I don't think I've had badly done Q here, but now that I've been doing my own, I'm perhaps more critical......

Yeah, it seems the Texans are all about the beef, and the Missourans are Pork smokers. Personally, I'm more a fan of the latter for multiple reasons. but I do love a good piece of beef brisket every now and then. I just don't seem to be able to produce one (yet), and the learning curve is tres' expensive.

We eat very little beef. Maybe a fillet or a hamburger up at the Brew House (who use local grass fed beef). Big fan of pork for likely all the reasons you have. I use ground turkey in most of the stuff here that usually calls for ground beef.

I don't think I'm ready to try doing a brisqutte yet. Hell, haven't done a pork butt yet in the smoker....(which I'll do before I attempt a brisqutte)

Wife had an adversion to fat, which is the only reason I've not done any pork steaks yet. Perhaps will try doing some nice thick ones slow and very low in an attempt to render some of the fat out.

Haven't tried fish yet either....but, there's no rush..... :)

Did my first brisket this weekend, in the Kamado Joe clay BBQ. Let it sit overnight with a slight dry salt brine, then woke up early Sunday, rubbed the meat with a rub mostly pepper and bit of onion and garlic powder and freshly ground New Mexican chili powder, and had the temp up to solid and the meat on the grill by 7Am and removed the brisket by 8pm. The meat temp was 194, and I didn't do any of the "wrap in foil and stick inside of a dry cooler" or "Texas Crutch" tips that the books recommended, but it still came out great. The one nice thing about the clay BBQ's is that they seem to get past the "stall" where the meat temp holds for long while before getting to recommended temp.

Like others here, the book I used was "Meathead" which has proven to be pure gold - it came recommended from SportsGuy and every recipe I've attempted, from ribs to pulled pork, has turned out amazing. He swears by the book and now so do I. The author's wife is a food scientist and the book debunks all the standard BBQ myths and tests various methods - his recipes and rubs reflect the results of the tests. The book explains so many things about BBQing I never knew and I've stopped using all my other "grill" books, and for each cut, it shows how to trim and prepare the meat, and what ingredients to include in a rub to maximize the cut. It also has multiple recommended methods for grilling depending on situation, and goes through each grill type and how to set it up for max. benefit.

It's a winner - buy and don't look back.

29266137920_1a18539df4_c.jpg

After 13 hours.

28930948014_d23b97c634_c.jpg

Cut off the ends and saved for later.

29556192645_c322715fbb_c.jpg

Sliced against the grain and served with sauce - it didn't need any, as the meat was juicy and flavorful on its own, and even the tasty Stubbs sauce we had on hand seem to detract.

Took all the burn ends and bits and pieces and chopped up into tiny bits and vacuum sealed, going to add sauce and serve over a nice brioche bun this weekend for seconds.

Great work on the Brisket! Maybe the Kamodo doesn't have as much of a stall because there is so little air/smoke movement through the pit, so less chance of evaporative cooling of the meat?

I agree that Goldwyn is great, and his web site (amazingribs.com) has been a major resource for me in learning about BBQ these past couple of years. I just ordered a copy of his book off Amazon for some tasty winter reading. Thanks!

First off...nice looking hunk of meat there Hudson. You got me hungry 3 hours before lunch...

Secondly, a huge THANK YOU to "Meathead", although I don't have his book (yet) the amount of knowledge I've been able to get off the Amazing Ribs website is also huge.

https://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html

Information there got me to decide on getting for the smoker I have now, the thermometer I bought, and the items to go with them.

I use his rub on my ribs, and I have not tried cooking anything without reading how to's or recipes at that site first.

There are other smoking forums out there, but the wealth of info, and the SCIENCE brought there, makes Amazing Ribs my go to authority when I have any questions.

I'll not only be buying his book, but am joining the "Pit-masters" club at the website.

ok, I'm not in the same catégorie! But this we, I start Saturday evening with duck!

dsc_0221.jpg

dsc_0222.jpg

dsc_0215.jpg

And sunday, for lunch it wase Horse

dsc_0219.jpg

dsc_0226.jpg

Hmmm... you French fellas seem to be grilling up the family pets. :unsure:

I've wondered about horse meat before,. and those kabobs look rather tasty. Not that my (equestrian) wife would ever let me consider eating any, but how does it taste?

I imagine that the horse meat that you get over there are farm raised for slaughter from birth, so not "free range" or the meat would be extremely lean and tough. Horses sure would be a lot easier and cleaner to raise than their bovine brethren.

But Americans would never get behind the idea of eating Mr Ed.
grin.gif

Well Fred don't count me in that bunch. I wouldn't hesitate to to try it. No different than deer or moose. Horse fits somewhere between those two. I am sure back in the pioneer days it didn't go to waist.

Dave

...I am sure back in the pioneer days it didn't go to waist...
Even though it's pretty lean meat, I'm pretty sure it did.

Back in another life, working for A&P I used to order cases of horse meat (labeled as horse meat ;) ) because people bought cases of it. I dunno if it went into people or pets but we went through cases per week.

Indeed, there are horse farms for meat, but not enough in my opinion!
After the good horse is as expensive as beef, and it is better now to buy a specialized butcher. (800 m from my house every Sunday :) )
The horse is very close to the beef, but less fat. And it allows you to change beef or pork.

Well I'll try pretty much anything once, I've had snake, alligator, rabbit, and the very popular buffalo. In some countries they eat bugs...(you might have to get me drunk first to try those...)

Unfortunately here in the US...even those not opposed to using horses for food, look at horse meat as a poor substitute for beef. If it cost as much, you wouldn't find many buyers here. The stigma is about the same as eating dog. But yes, meat is meat.

Soylent Green burgers anyone?

Soylent Green would be some true recycling.

When you think about it pragmatically, what a waste of food source we burn to ash or bury in the ground, just due to our emotional sensibilities.

(boy is this drifting perilously off topic)

So how long would you have to smoke Soylent Green?

(there, back on topic now)

ho, here horse meet is more expencive than beef meat... but it's different and I like the two meat.

But this is not a common meat on 7 butchery in my city, in a single sells horses meat. Horsemeat "low cost" is often very very poor quality. And many French do not like this meat, or they never try... As you said, for dogs or cats, many regard the horse as too domestic to be eaten.

But overall, someone with a snake home never eat!, someone with horse never eat horse...

Soylent Green would be some true recycling. When you think about it pragmatically, what a waste of food source we burn to ash or bury in the ground, just due to our emotional sensibilities.

(boy is this drifting perilously off topic)

So how long would you have to smoke Soylent Green?

(there, back on topic now)
Depends on the cut...but looks like you want to shoot for a 160 F internal tempature:
https://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Cook_A_Human

:)

We have a horse farm across the street. I am pretty sure they get burried out back sometimes or just dumped for the coy dogs to feast on. Maybe I should go over there sometime and cut a quarter off.

Edit: Just to stay on topic it would be smoked simular to the venison I just did.

Dave

Latest posts