Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 10lb brisket is going on the Traeger tonight to get some overnight smoke. Dinner tomorrow and lunches next week are going to be amazing!

IMG_1110.jpg

Got my new Kamodo smoker assembled and seasoned.

The old one was much-abused by me. In my foolishness I thought leaving it covered with the factory cover would prevent it from rusting.

Mmmm... You guys are making my mouth water.

Busy with family obligations this weekend, else it would have been a pretty good smoking weekend. A steady cool drizzle here that riding around in would have been no fun.

For some reason, I always forget the "after" pic when cooking brisket. Would you settle for a pic of me napping?
You know, it's hard. You plate up the meat, go to grab your camera and return to find nothing to take the picture of....Brisket, ribs, whatever... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Before

before.jpg

and after (these were in the fridge long after everyone went home). Like WTP

after.jpg

Also there were grilled Ball Park franks for the kids, potato salad, baked potatoes, baked beans, green salad, candied baby carrots, sweet tea, a veg platter, strawberries, and crescent rolls.

Had our Oktoberfest today. Smoked up a bunch of brats. Used a bit of hickory and a lot of applewood. Light coating of olive oil and some pork rub. About 2-1/2 hours at 220F. Pulled them

When I got a internal temp of 183.

1476574699_zpsylojkbpb.jpg

With some of my German mustard and a little kraut...awesome.. ;)

My son remarked that it looked like the middle was more cooked than the outer part of the brat...so it seemed even with a skin, there was a definite smoke ring on them...

This is how we "roll a fatty" at my place.

6 Pounds of ground beef and italian sausage, spiced, the wrapped around a brick of colby, wrapped in bacon, then mesquite smoked until done.

It's a huge hit at our place, but the potential for a food coma is huge.

IMG_1199.jpg

Mmmm... looking really tasty there boys.

I did do a turkey breast last week on the OK Joe, but it wasn't anything I haven't done before, or all that special really, so no photo evidence was captured.

Last night we had some beer brats that we picked up from the Green Mountain smokehouse in Windsor, Vermont, infused with Harpoon beer. Just cooked them up on the gas grille since they were already smoked. They were pretty good, but yours look way better. I think I could do better starting with fresh sausages on the smoker, low and slow.

But with this week's Wx of warm weather, I'm getting an urge to smoke up something porky. I have some fresh Italian sausage waiting in the fridge, but that will have to wait a while now, after those brats. May be time to find a nice pork shoulder or two and fire up the (not so) Ugly Drum this week?

So cheese, wrapped in bacon, wrapped in ground meat product?
Or cheese, wrapped in ground meat product, wrapped in bacon?
I'd guess the second one...but just to be sure, I'd wrap the cheese in bacon, then wrap that with the ground meat, then wrap that with more bacon. ;)

Fred, perhaps you should get some pork.....and make your own sausage....and smoke dat... :)

Wife has one of those Kitchenaide professional mixers that you can buy all the attachments for, been thinking of getting the grinder/sausage maker accessory and making our own brats and sausage.

Yeah, my wife has one of those Kitchen Aide do-it-all gizmos too. Seems like a lot of work when you can just go to the store and get great sausage for cheap.

I do have an Italian co-worker / friend in CT that makes his own cured sausages. Says they only use regular salt for curing them. Seems like an invitation to get really sick to me.
bad.gif

I've been making bacon from pork belly, bought at Costco (really cheap!!) Simple to make - using a salt-based cure, they say wrap in clear plastic wrap but I vacuum seal it, then turn every day or two. Then you have to cook it at 300F until it hits 150F, so instead, I smoke it over hickory (at a much lower temp of course.) I slice it a bit more than 1/8" thick (I have a slicer, but a long, scalloped, straight-edged knife works fine if you chill the meat after smoking.)

All I'm sayin' is, you're gonna wanna try this yourselves!

14354965_1342309145782389_6745609163831458592_n.jpg

I do want to try that. Been wanting to make bacon for some time now.

So, a few questions: In your cure recipe, is there any curing salt (pink salt)? That seems to be the most common cure as it has the nitrates to ensure food safety.

And when you smoke it, are you bringing the internal temp up to 150, or cold smoking it?

Just curious of your technique.

Latest posts