Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Got a link to that pan? Hopefully the pan isn't too big. You want to deflect and radiate the main blast of heat from the burner, but still have room for the hot air and smoke to flow all around it. But with your big firebox that probably will not be an issue. ;)

Have fun!

It's this one:

https://m.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-10-in-Square-Cast-Iron-Skillet-630-0010/206414833?cm_mmc=SEM%7CTHD%7Cgoogle%7C&mid=s0Mo9GjDe%7Cdm_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_50057397341_pkw__pmt__product_206414833_slid_&gclid=CJ6Y993zhdACFQEyaQod8sEFJQ

Looks like I'll just need to cut off some of the handle and perhaps put a few bolts along the sides so it sits more solidly. The pan is

10-1/4" across, the angle iron in the firebox is 10-1/2...so due to the slant of the sides of the pan it kinda sits cockeyed. Which is fine, but I'd feel more comfortable if I made it so it can't fall down on the burner. Otherwise the size is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it might be that one when you said it was square. You might consider just putting a grate in to hold the pan instead of mounting it directly.

Also, one other important design point I forgot to mention earlier is that when you insert the burner into the Fire Box, you'll want the end of the burner that the hose connects to to be out in the fresh air if possible, as that is the air intake to mix with the propane. There is an adjustable rotary valve to "tune" the air/gas mix (I've found that I needed it wide open) to get your best blue flame from the burner. I suspect that if the air intake was inside the firebox you wouldn't get enough O2.

Not sure how difficult arranging that will be with your firebox and ash pan situation. Maybe remove the ash pan altogether and make a custom block off plate of sheet metal or something? I can run my hose right through the adjustable vent in the end door of my firebox and leave the air intake resting on the edge of the door.

If I convince myself that I'll be using the burner often enough, I can cut a hole (with a hole saw) on the opposite flat side wall of the FB (underneath the cooking chamber) and make a little pivoting door to block it off when I'm not using gas. That way I can run the hose along underneath the (relatively cool) cooking chamber and have the propane bottle on the opposite end of the pit from the FB.

Well, that was the plan, completely remove the ash drawer and just slide in the burner (although I don't know how tall it is, dimensions listed are 6X12X18, that can't be right?) with the end sticking a few inches out from the opening. Was not sure if I'd even try to seal the area around it in any way, as you need air going into the firebox.

The hose is five feet long, so I figured it could get the propane tank either under the cooking chamber, or I'd just make a place for it behind the pit up the hill a little.

I will either just make a grate out of expanded metal for the wood pan as you suggested, or I might install bolts on the sides of the pan...(it won't be bolted in, the bolts just provide "legs" to make the pan fit better in the angle iron that the coal basket slides in and out on.

But won't know until I get everything and work it out...(eta Thursday)

Luckily I own two propane tanks that I can get exchanged right up the road. :)

Received my new gas burner and regulator today. Made a test (dry) run this afternoon and it worked just like I remembered it to. I found another fry pan in the basement (this one a discarded fancy stainless one) to use for the smoke wood pan, and it worked as advertised.

It takes a while to get the pit up to temperature equilibrium, which very well may be related to the seasonably low ambient temps around here right now, but then it seems to percolate along at a steady temp quite nicely.

I think you will like your new pit farkle. Let me know if you have any problems with it.,

I just looked at this thread for the very first time, as I always thought it was about cigs, and I gave those up in '84. DOH!

Weber Smoky Mountain, the big one, on the back patio here. Love it!

I just looked at this thread for the very first time, as I always thought it was about cigs, and I gave those up in '84. DOH!
That's OK...I too was late to this thread because I thought the same thing... ;)

So, the Weber is basicly a UDS...? (Although I should say PDS- Pretty Drum Smoker)

**** Fred - Do I need any kind of thread sealer attaching the hose to the burner?

Nope. I just hand tighten the flare fitting so that it is easy to break down. I store the regulator hose and burner in my shed rather than outdoors in the grille, even though I keep it covered.

I also didn't bother putting any thread tape on the brass fitting that screws into the cast iron burner, but you could if you wanted to. This is a very low pressure gas system so there will be no significant leakage.

That's OK...I too was late to this thread because I thought the same thing...
wink.png

So, the Weber is basicly a UDS...? (Although I should say PDS- Pretty Drum Smoker)

**** Fred - Do I need any kind of thread sealer attaching the hose to the burner?
Pretty much.

https://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokers/smc-smoker-22

Looks pretty nice. I've seen those around. Good reviews (not just at Weber's website either)

If you read through the recent posts, you know I was considering a drum type vertical. But, going to see

How the propane conversion thing works out before I decide.

Good website for all things smoked:

https://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometer-reviews-and-ratings

Hope to see you post up some pics of what you have cooked in that. :)

That is a nice pit. Only problem with the Weber full sized WSM is the price tag for admission ($400) Otherwise it is a very nice and capable smoker.

FWIW - I built my UDS for less than $100 including buying a 22" Weber Kettle clone at Home Despot (for $50) to get the fancy lid and grates. The door on the WSM is nice so you can tend the fire in mid cook, but I'd have a tough time paying an extra 3 Benjamins for that convenience.

YMMV

Looks pretty nice. I've seen those around. Good reviews (not just at Weber's website either)If you read through the recent posts, you know I was considering a drum type vertical. But, going to see

How the propane conversion thing works out before I decide.

Good website for all things smoked:

https://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometer-reviews-and-ratings

Hope to see you post up some pics of what you have cooked in that.
smile.png
If you ever get a bullet, here is a great website:

https://virtualweberbullet.com/

Pics:

IMG_0990_zpsorlzl0f8.jpg

IMG_3481_zps7a8a2fne.jpg

IMG_3479_zpsbnrr1yl5.jpg

IMG_2592_zpsupifamds.jpg

IMG_0948_zpslg9o9pjy.jpg

That is a nice pit. Only problem with the Weber full sized WSM is the price tag for admission ($400) Otherwise it is a very nice and capable smoker.
FWIW - I built my UDS for less than $100 including buying a 22" Weber Kettle clone at Home Despot (for $50) to get the fancy lid and grates. The door on the WSM is nice so you can tend the fire in mid cook, but I'd have a tough time paying an extra 3 Benjamins for that convenience.

YMMV
MMDV - I used my 18.5" for about 7 years, and sold it for $100 to my next door neighbor. I told him I was thinking of moving up, thought it was worth $100, and never saw a C note coming flying at me so fast...

Some good looking vitals there..... :)

Well, anytime you "build it yourself" you're likely going to save money over buying one ready made. ;) Andy says he sells UDS's starting at about $200. These are painted drums. They work great, but can rust and not have a very long lifespan. The Weber smoker costs more, but has that baked on porcelain finish that should last a lifetime. I imagine that 7 year old smoker jm sold still looked new and was worth every bit of the $100 he got for it.

I have to stop by Home Depot for some other stuff today, will see if I can find a small piece of expanded metal to use as a grate for the wood pan. Busy weekend, hopefully I'll find time to try out the new burner... :)

Well, anytime you "build it yourself" you're likely going to save money over buying one ready made.
wink.png
Andy says he sells UDS's starting at about $200. These are painted drums. They work great, but can rust and not have a very long lifespan. The Weber smoker costs more, but has that baked on porcelain finish that should last a lifetime. I imagine that 7 year old smoker jm sold still looked new and was worth every bit of the $100 he got for it.
And was properly broken in! This was his first smoke on the new to him unit, a bone in pork butt. He did very well.

IMG_4879_zps6b6lbwgh.jpg

Yeah buddy! That's some good lookin' 'Que there.

As for the drum rusting out, I suppose that could happen if you were a lackadaisical type. Me, being a type AR (stands for Anal Retentive) I take good care of all of my equipment. When I'm done cooking I seal the drum with the original flat lid, then the domed lid goes on top of that. I've got a Weber cover that I slip over everything to keep the rain and sun off. And sometime before the first snow fall the pits will both be rolled into my garden shed for the winter. Not much chance for rust forming on my (pretty) Ugly Drum.

But your point is well taken. Those 22" Weber bullets are very spiffy.

On the "what's new" front: Just bought two small (2.5 lb) pork loin roasts today (not tenderloins), and just boiled up a batch of curing brine solution. The boiling is to kill any bugs in my well water. I'll be curing them in gallon sized ziplock bags in the fridge once I get the brine cooled back down to fridge temp. Following Meathead's stringent advice on the curing very closely.

Planning on smoking them with some applewood in a bit over a week, probably on the long weekend. This is my first attempt at real Back Bacon (aka Canadian Bacon in the US).

I was using a cover on my King Griller kamado cooker. It rotted out in a year (sun) and it didn't prevent the feet from failing (locks no longer working on the rollers).

I put it all away in the shop/shed when not in use now.

Well it looks like the only thing I'll need to do to get the burner in fire box is to grind down the three little legs on the bottom of it about an 1/4 inch. The opening where the ash drawer fits is 2-9/32" tall. The burner resting on its legs is about 2-1/2". There's a center post that has a bolt for fastening it down to something, not sure if I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom of the firebox for it or not....

But it looks like it will be an easy install :)

Good idea grinding down the burner feet. You don't really need them anyway.

I wouldn't drill any holes in your FB, at least until you see how much you like the burner. You may want to fasten it to a piece of thin sheet metal instead so the burner won't tip when the weight of the hose hangs on it. Because my FB is round, I fastened mine to a small charcoal grate that performs the same function and spans across the round bottom.

Well although I didn't have time today to do a test run, I got all the parts cut and fitted.

So, I first need to slide out the coal basket and the ash drawer:

1478368233_zpsecxk6pqb.jpg

Slide in the burner:

1478368223_zpskvepaou1.jpg

Slide in the grate for the wood pan:

1478368286_zpspjdu3pme.jpg

I cut the handle of the pan so it acts as a stop, so when I slide it in, it positions the pan directly over the burner:

1478368323_zpsegysycat.jpg

Pan slides in, all ready to cook!

1478368364_zpsomrvslgq.jpg

I'll likely just drive in a rod next to the FB and afix the hose with a cable tie to it to insure the burner doesn't move. I stil have the option later of putting a 1/8" hole in the bottom to bolt it down...which I doubt would interfere when I switch back to burning coals, as the ash drawer will cover it and it's a pretty small hole.

Can't wait to try this rig out...!!!

:)

Nice. Looking real good. If you find that you are getting too much air in the FB you can always make a little sheet metal block off plate for use with the burner, then use your air damper to control the air intake. As long as the end of the burner with the hose is outside it will have good combustion.

Sitting on my deck and cooking some pork tenderloins this afternoon. Those things usually come out great. Using lump char and hickory chunks for flavor abs a simple Dalmatian rub on the meat.

Latest posts