So I Think I'm About To Know A Dead Guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See? This is the problem with society today. Everybody trying to get in the way of Natural Selection. And as a result, our species as a whole is becoming diluted with all kinds of crap.
Let nature take it's course.
Problem is...when the riff raff take out the innocent little tykes. Nothing natural or happy about (stupidity x weight x velocity2 )meeting damageable little ones.

Sometimes, being human means intervening...for the innocents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with others here in saying a track day would probably do him good.

If he takes to it, then he will gear up and become a more safe rider.

If he pushes his skill at the track, and lays it down, then he is less likely to take out innocent bystanders.

Mark

Well, I say that while I agree the track day is not a bad idea, there is no way this moron is going to do it.

Track day require full gear don't they? No way this idiot is going to spend what little money he has on gear. Do they rent gear?

If they do rent, will they even allow dipshit on the track with no skills? And it so, will shit-for-brains then try to ride the street like the track?

The best thing for this creton, is an MSF course. But I bet you'll have a tough time getting him to do it.

Buy him a wheelchair. Have him meet you at his parrent's house and present it to him with a straight face. Tell him that he will either be using this by the end of the month or he will be dead.

If nothing else, his parrents will flip. It might get through to him. It might not. After a confrentation of that type no one can accuse you of not doing your best to stop him.

I have to say that it is not your responsibility and you dont assume responsibility for the stupid things this kid does.

That said, there is nothing wrong with providing advice and guidance. I would suggest sitting him in fron of a computer and showing him a gore show with all of the nastiest chunks of dismembered bikers. then ask him, the next time he gets on his bike, to imagine himself in pieces scattered about.

Something about reality does have an effect. As a professor who rides I frequently have kids come up to me as ask about my bike and invariably they say "I'm thinking about getting one... what should I get?" I always start off that conversation with "if you can live without one, dont start. If you think you need one, do a google image search for motorcycle accidents, look carefully at what could happen then ask yourself if that is a risk you are willing to live with."

If they come back (and they rarely do) I try to get them to think about the smallest bike as a trainer and point them to the MSP program here in WV. And books!

Daughter, had a boy friend like that in high school, wanted to buy a motorcyle cause his parents wouldn't buy him any more cars and he couldn't afford one, handed him a pistol and told him to go ahead stick to his head and pull the trigger, it would be quicker, cleaner,and save everyone a lot of trouble.

After that we sat and talked for a long time and he did that the MSF course, and he still rides 15 years later, and I still haven't told him the pistol wasn't loaded.

My daughter had a boyfriend in high school. Now, six years later he spent his motorcycle money on a ring for her.

I'd still like to try that pistol lesson on him.

Buy him a wheelchair. Have him meet you at his parrent's house and present it to him with a straight face. Tell him that he will either be using this by the end of the month or he will be dead.
If nothing else, his parrents will flip. It might get through to him. It might not. After a confrentation of that type no one can accuse you of not doing your best to stop him.
Even better, buy him a colostomy bag to go with the wheel chair. Get the parents involved as well...as they will be feeding him and changing his diaper for the rest of their lives before another relative or the state gets to do it as well.

I have to say that it is not your responsibility and you dont assume responsibility for the stupid things this kid does.
That said, there is nothing wrong with providing advice and guidance. I would suggest sitting him in fron of a computer and showing him a gore show with all of the nastiest chunks of dismembered bikers. then ask him, the next time he gets on his bike, to imagine himself in pieces scattered about.

Something about reality does have an effect. As a professor who rides I frequently have kids come up to me as ask about my bike and invariably they say "I'm thinking about getting one... what should I get?" I always start off that conversation with "if you can live without one, dont start. If you think you need one, do a google image search for motorcycle accidents, look carefully at what could happen then ask yourself if that is a risk you are willing to live with."

If they come back (and they rarely do) I try to get them to think about the smallest bike as a trainer and point them to the MSP program here in WV. And books!

If you want to give him a dose of reality...tell him to stand there while you swing a 5 lb hammer at his ribs....let him understand that impacting sign posts and telephone poles will give a whack alot greater than that...so images aren't enough...let him understand the pain that is coming.

I doubt if he will assent to that treatment...but the idea of that physical treatment alone should put those computer images in proper physical context.

Here's the thing...

If he's already wadded up two nice cars and escaped w/o injury you aren't going to scare him with a wheel chair or colostomy bag. He's already got the 'won't happen to me' mindset.

Yes, some track days do rent leathers, but if he has a new R1, he may actually want a matching set of leathers, as ODot says, leather is sexy.

Other than that, you gotta know you did what you could, and try not to be around him when he goes down so he doesn't take you out too.

Here's the thing...
If he's already wadded up two nice cars and escaped w/o injury you aren't going to scare him with a wheel chair or colostomy bag. He's already got the 'won't happen to me' mindset.

Yes, some track days do rent leathers, but if he has a new R1, he may actually want a matching set of leathers, as ODot says, leather is sexy.

Other than that, you gotta know you did what you could, and try not to be around him when he goes down so he doesn't take you out too.
Yep...yer right on those points. He jes doesn't care...he's convinced himself he's invicible.

So he's a walking dead man...jes stay away from him when the lightning bolt hits...or the machine goes flying.

Great post, Ari. That's a hell of a dilemma and one that I've encountered in the past myself. I don't know that I have a whole lot more to add to whats already been said, except for maybe

• When you discuss the subject with him, remain calm and collected. As soon as you start ranting and raving or "preaching", he'll tune you out....even more
  • If you don't have enough influence over him, do you know who might (mom, dad, girlfriend, uncle, best friend, etc)? I understand that there may be NO ONE who he respects enough to listen to.
  • I agree with the idea of trying to steer him toward a track where he's less likely to hurt someone else!
  • I REALLY like aiboss' idea....except for with a LOADED gun
  • I can tell you from experience that if you are persistent and tenacious about this, when the inevitable happens, you're less likely to have any guilt because you did all you could to prevent it. Of course, like anything in life, it's ultimately HIS decision to make. All you can do is TRY and help him make a good one.

^^^ nice suggestion, but it would be one of those "I'll get around to that when I get old and feeble, don't need to worry about it now since I'm immortal."

By old and feeble, he's thinking when he breaks 30, in about 150 years.

Great post, Ari. That's a hell of a dilemma and one that I've encountered in the past myself. I don't know that I have a whole lot more to add to whats already been said, except for maybe
  • When you discuss the subject with him, remain calm and collected. As soon as you start ranting and raving or "preaching", he'll tune you out....even more
  • If you don't have enough influence over him, do you know who might (mom, dad, girlfriend, uncle, best friend, etc)? I understand that there may be NO ONE who he respects enough to listen to.
  • I agree with the idea of trying to steer him toward a track where he's less likely to hurt someone else!
  • I REALLY like aiboss' idea....except for with a LOADED gun
  • I can tell you from experience that if you are persistent and tenacious about this, when the inevitable happens, you're less likely to have any guilt because you did all you could to prevent it. Of course, like anything in life, it's ultimately HIS decision to make. All you can do is TRY and help him make a good one.
+1 on the list.

I think you know a dead guy too.

Hopefully, no one else will go with him...

Wrong approach. Assist him in a quick demise, so that you lessen the possibility he will kill others yet survive to kill again. You have a golden opportunity here, don't squander it.
And they said Mother Theresa was dead.

[SIZE=8pt](but I agree 100%)[/SIZE]

I'm still waiting to hear the answer to where are his parents. I have to agree with the folks who have said he is invincible because he has been uninjured in 2 serious accidents already.

Did any of you see the episode of MASH, when the patient kept trying to kill himSelf. Everyone talked to him but he wouldn't listen. Then Col. Potter caught him sucking CO or some type of gas out of some type of apparatus and stopped him and then said to him alright you wanna die, then let's do this right. Then he grabbed the kid and held the mask over his face and the kid started fighting for his life instead of trying to end it. I know its an obscure episode but if you saw it then you know what I mean here.

Maybe there is a way that you can scare the shit out of him enough that he might possibly wake up and learn some skills. Hell take hime for a ride on the back of your feejer and slide back on the seat suddenly and eject his ass at 40 or 50 MPH. Won't kill him but hell be intimate with the pavement for a hundred feet or so at least you'll have given him a taste of his future.

My dad (who I miss dearly), always told me growing up, " experience is the best teacher but it is the most expensive". I've never forgotten those words and every time I've ignored them it has cost me something.

Good Luck Ari, I think the someone his own age is the only thing that might help him here.