So I Think I'm About To Know A Dead Guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We cheated. I've taken to bribing the girl friends of our current teenager to give positive suggestions for his own good.

The weird thing is, after I've made the suggestion and explained why I feel it is necessary none of them has opted for the payoff.

Too bad he found out about it after we used this method to have him get a haircut, so he could actually see without having to look though his hair.

He is back to looking like cousin it again.

No motorcycle though, and that is good because this kid litterally walks into walls, between the hair, the ipod blarring awful, moronic music into his ear cavities 24/7, and texting an endless sequence of inanities at a furious pace.

He told me last night that the dog lunges at people when he takes him for a walk. Since the dog does no such thing when I take him for a walk, I told him that the dog is behaving that way to protect him, because even the dog knows that he is functioning with all the safe awareness of a six month old. This generation seems to have mistaken annoyance and distraction for life itself.

Wow, thanks that rant felt good, of course it won't help you a bit, lol.

Notice I stopped short of proposing camps for them, where they could be treated with nature, peace, quiet, good music, and decent food!

You could be the President of the United States and he would not believe what is said. He already knows it all. The fact is you are a great resource for him, but not in his mind. Getting him past the “I know it all” is going to be tough.

My suggestion is to search youtube and other video places on line. Find some good videos that make some of the points you are trying to make, and a few other fun and cool videos. He can argue your points and disagree with you, but a video, they are fact to many 20 year olds today. I would use the videos as starting points to cover topics.

Some of the videos I have used in the past for those who know it all are here:

Link

Another video someone here on the forum found:

Link

I have found using videos as a good method to cover important topics and concepts. However, a few “cool” videos need to be sprinkled in to keep the attention.

If, the person is really hard headed I get a bit more abrasive. I tell them if they are willing to ignore or accept the risk to themselves that is fine. However, they need to get the okay from their mother, father, sister, brother, girlfriend, and so on that they will wipe his butt while he is in a cast healing after a crash. He needs to make sure he is not only willing to accept the pain, financial costs, but also the embarrassment of having a family members, friends, or a girlfriend wipe his butt and take care of the bandages after a crash.

For the most part, the abrasive approach has worked. The new rider may be bullet proof in their mind. But, as soon as I mention they may need to get their mother or girlfriend to wipe their butt for weeks or longer the attitude changes. I add to it by telling the new rider I am trying to keep them safe, but more then that I am trying to keep their loved ones from the heart break if something goes wrong.

I hope it helps.

If you want to give him a dose of reality...tell him to stand there while you swing a 5 lb hammer at his ribs....let him understand that impacting sign posts and telephone poles will give a whack alot greater than that...so images aren't enough...let him understand the pain that is coming.
I doubt if he will assent to that treatment...but the idea of that physical treatment alone should put those computer images in proper physical context.
Of course you could also have him sit down and chat with ol'Scabby :rolleyes:

My daughter had a boyfriend in high school. Now, six years later he spent his motorcycle money on a ring for her.
Did he sell his FJR at her request? I think I may know that dude....
Hey funny, I spend the money I was going to buy my second 600 Hurricane and bought a ring (and paid for her move across the country) for my wife!

Guys like this, unfortunately, seem to have self fulfilling destinys. Social Darwinism.
How old is he? Sounds like 20 or so? He obviously has no parental supervision or any responsibility training in years past.

How about calling the cops every time he rides out, he'll surely do something stupid shortly after he leaves the driveway. After enough arrests, maybe he'll get a clue?

Tough spot friend. Don't beat yourself up if he does auger in though.
+1

So I stopped by the restaurant tonight. Jonathan was there, so was Carla, so was Carla's father. ( Jonathan drove his mother's SUV tonight, instead of the bike. )I talked with all of them - until Jonathan walked off, and then I continued to talk to Carla and her father. He related that Jonathan likes to race cars on the street and "tries to get around everyone ...doesn't like to be behind". I explained the obvious about how this behavior would get him badly hurt or killed on a motorcycle. I'm not sure how much I got through to Carla's father, but it was clearly not enough - he's going to talk to Jonathan about the motorcycle.

I got a little more information on Jonathan, and it's not good. Juvenile psych ward at 13. He cracked the first car up and got a DUI and some jail time in the process. Then his insurance company (straight out of left field, and all) canceled him. No private insurer would take him after that, so he was insured by the state of Maryland (MAIF). That's when he got himself thrown from the second vehicle (found unconscious in a ditch by a nice Jamaican dude at 3AM) and smashed that one to smithereens, upside down, in the street. Both wrecks were in the last 4-6 months. I don't think MAIF insures motorcycles, but I could be wrong about that.

It turns out that Jonathan is not legally adopted. His father has flown the coup, and his mother, who he lives with part time, has long since just been mailing it in as a parent. Jonathan usually lives at Carla's father's house, and often keeps his bike at his mother's house. Carla is going to impress on Jonathan's mother that Jonathan is basically riding around uninsured - as he'll have no coverage riding without a license. She's also considering turning Jonathan's bike over to the police, directly. I think she totally gets the liability Jonathan represents to himself, to his "adoptive" family, and to the rest of the community.

If I were you I'd take out a million dollar life insurance policy on the kid
I was going to *seriously* recommend this. Take him with you to sign the paperwork for a life insurance policy on him with you as the beneficiary. Explain it to him up front that you're willing to take a bet on his life expectancy. That's assuming the kid is worth it to you to shell out the premiums, or you really do want to take the bet. Either way, drag him along.

If I were you I'd take out a million dollar life insurance policy on the kid
I was going to *seriously* recommend this. Take him with you to sign the paperwork for a life insurance policy on him with you as the beneficiary. Explain it to him up front that you're willing to take a bet on his life expectancy. That's assuming the kid is worth it to you to shell out the premiums, or you really do want to take the bet. Either way, drag him along.
That's an interesting idea. Hmmmm. This one is compelling.

Okay, this dude lives in MD? Where? At least let me know where this A-hole is wreaking havoc. Did you say he was up in Baltimore?
You want to meet him? I'm there every Friday night. It's a restaurant in Pikesville, just northwest of Baltimore City, proper. I'll pick up your dinner if you want to make the ride. It might make an impact on the numskull if strangers from the Internet are stopping in to lay eyes on the induhvidual while the getting is good.

If not, I've been pondering whether it might also make an impact if I were to show up with a camera next time in order to take a few shots of Jonathan "with all his arms, legs, and chin intact".

That would be quite interesting, to get a couple guys to ride up, strangers from an internet forum, to observe the walking dead. Maybe it would start to sink in. Nah, he'd probably think he was attaining celebrity status.

At this point you have gone way beyond what you would be expected to do as a friend and experienced cyclist. Maybe you'll get lucky and the kid will actually think about some of the things you have said. He is not mature enough to let you see a chink in his macho facade, but he may let some of your advice sink in without admitting it. Time will tell.

At this point you have gone way beyond what you would be expected to do as a friend and experienced cyclist. Maybe you'll get lucky and the kid will actually think about some of the things you have said. He is not mature enough to let you see a chink in his macho facade, but he may let some of your advice sink in without admitting it. Time will tell.
+1.

Ari -

Would it help to have a Baltimore County officer show up? I have a friend who is one in that very area and Derek could be either a good guy, rattle the kid's world (I'll bet the kid's been there & it wouldn't help.), or impound the bike. PM me if interested.

This kid is screaming out to become part of something, preferably with the involvement of adrenaline. He wants attention and is immortal in his own head. Not much you can do to change that, the only answer I know is to channel it somewhere. One thing for sure is that the harder you try to step in (rather than guiding), the faster this kid will push you out of his life.

Finally, I go to a lot of accidents and will tell you the same thing I tell first timers. You didn't get him onto the bike. You don't get to decide about his decisions and whether they will lead to his collecting stories to tell, or he gets hurt. Bad shit does happen to good people sometimes. You do what you can & have the wisdom to understand that you aren't God.

Bob

Damascus