So I watched my wife take off today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...If the fjr was lowered about 1/2 an inch, it would be perfect...
OK, here's the chink in your armour. That means that she will get the 08 Feejer since the GenIIs have the adjustable seat height. Don't shoot the messenger... :D

You guys are great. I will say this-I've been in love with the darn thing since I saw it in the showroom. I sat guard on it until he could get there, and told him on the phone he HAD to buy it. ahhhh such fond memories, and I have been green with envy ever since.
The FJR is absolutely unbelievable. :dribble: There is nothing to not like about it...well, except the industrial hairdryer blowing on my shins. But everything else is purrrfect. The only drawback is I'm now going to have a hard time appreciating my SV. Of course, I can maybe sneak a few more rides on his FJR until I can get one of my own. Thanks for the thrill, hun.
Way cool!

Now go trade the SV....

I'm 5'6" but short legs, and not the strength I used to have.... I'm old and I'm way jealous~! :cray:

Oh industrial hairdryer...get some forward pegs, dang. forgot what they're called here.... You can put your feet out in the happy air.....way cooler

Have fun stealing his bike! :yahoo:

Mary

Calimus,

You and the better half sound a lot like my wifey and I. She bought me an '03 in 9/02 (anniversary gift) and I bought her a '04 FZ6 a year later. In early '06, she started riding the '03 and told me I should go get a new one so she could have the '03 and sell the FZ6. That is why my avatar is an '03 and I list an '06!

I lowered hers an inch so she could touch *almost* flat footed, purchased two starcom1's off of Jeff and away we went!

Good luck!

KY, you have no idea how similair we seem to be. After 8 years of not riding (because when the misses and I first got together, she had a no bike policy, oh the irony) my wife bought me a Vmax for our 4th anniversary. Two years later, when I had just about given up on finding an FJR in my price range, she once again, scouted one out and sat on it at the dealership untill I arrived. This was after only several rides on the vmax that she bought the SV for herself and rode it to the dealer that had the FJR.

So, I'm also interested in the lowering of the FJR that you did. I'm sure you've ridden the bike since it's lowered, how much does it change the handleing aspect? I'm guessing you slid the forks in the tripple tree to match?

Thanks to all for the ribbing :)
Did you expect anything else? :)

I also see a second FJR in the stable at some point.
I'm lucky - mine's *way* too short to ever be able to "steal" my FJR. :) But she also has her own factory lowered BMW F800ST.

Thankfully, I have a wife that not only enjoys tinkering on the cars with me, but also enjoys the bikes as well. Hey, talk about me being lucky, she changes her own oil
Cool - could she come over and change mine?

Considering I'm as fugly as it gets, yea, I'm a lucky SOB!
You and me both!

in my wifes case, she's about average height (5'6"), but she's leggy :wub: . Her legs are almost as long as mine and I'm about 6' dead on balls.
Wow - yeah, legs help to ride an FJR. :)

I luv me a woman that can throw down if she needs to.
Mine's from Texas - no need for her to get physical. She has a carry permit and will just shoot you. Apparently, that's easier than fighting. :)

Shawn, you forget, they are from the land of the concealed weapon. We can carry on public transportation and in restaraunts that sell alcohol. In fact, in Kennesaw, residents are required by law to own a weapon.

KY, you have no idea how similair we seem to be. After 8 years of not riding (because when the misses and I first got together, she had a no bike policy, oh the irony) my wife bought me a Vmax for our 4th anniversary. Two years later, when I had just about given up on finding an FJR in my price range, she once again, scouted one out and sat on it at the dealership untill I arrived. This was after only several rides on the vmax that she bought the SV for herself and rode it to the dealer that had the FJR.
So, I'm also interested in the lowering of the FJR that you did. I'm sure you've ridden the bike since it's lowered, how much does it change the handleing aspect? I'm guessing you slid the forks in the tripple tree to match?
*This is my perception only* however, I do not like the way the fjr handles after it was lowered. The back was lowered (going off of memory) 25mm and the front forks could only slide up around 15mm. After this I could never get the suspension to work correctly and the bike tends to chop when pushed (original suspension) set to Ash specs. Couple this with a lower ground clearance...well....you can see where I am going. My wife doesn't push the bike near as hard as I do so she doesn't have any issue with this - she greatly prefers to touch the ground! So it worked out well but I *never* drive the '03 anymore except to warm it up for oil changes. Another issue is I can't get it up on the center stand without my 2x6 board to back the rear tire on - it's just a pain but one that I can live with!

Is it worth doing? The wife says "hell yes"!!! Just don't ride the two fjr's back to back!

*This is my perception only* however, I do not like the way the fjr handles after it was lowered. The back was lowered (going off of memory) 25mm and the front forks could only slide up around 15mm. After this I could never get the suspension to work correctly and the bike tends to chop when pushed (original suspension) set to Ash specs. Couple this with a lower ground clearance...well....you can see where I am going. My wife doesn't push the bike near as hard as I do so she doesn't have any issue with this - she greatly prefers to touch the ground! So it worked out well but I *never* drive the '03 anymore except to warm it up for oil changes. Another issue is I can't get it up on the center stand without my 2x6 board to back the rear tire on - it's just a pain but one that I can live with!

Is it worth doing? The wife says "hell yes"!!! Just don't ride the two fjr's back to back!

Thanks for the information about your experience in lowering the bike, that is something to consider when the time comes. I'm far from being able to get one right now, at least until we get some bills paid off. I hope that Calimus will still be generous with the "test rides". In the meantime I'll just continue to put away my pennies in my little Yamaha piggy bank :)

So my wife has been riding her SV650 for a little over 2 years. In the last year she's progressed in leaps and bounds in her riding skill to the point where she's keeping up with me in most of the twisties when we ride. Well, she's always joked about stealing my FJR so today when she got home from work, I put her on it. First was a ride up and down the street and then she took it for a short ride out in the asphalt jungle.
She came back grinning from ear to ear. I might have created a monster today. :rolleyes:

We know what you've got coming.... and here's what two FJR's for the stable look like: :clapping: :clapping:

IMG_2485.jpg

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

MichaelJudiResized_1.jpg

Michael & Judi

Yeah told the GF one day, "soon you will have your own FEEJ".

How cool would that be?

I will keep the 08... too sweet looking.

Thanks for the information about your experience in lowering the bike, that is something to consider when the time comes. I'm far from being able to get one right now, at least until we get some bills paid off. I hope that Calimus will still be generous with the "test rides". In the meantime I'll just continue to put away my pennies in my little Yamaha piggy bank :)
First, congratulations to both of you for your choice in partners, choice of shared passion and now the shared FJR. ;)

Second, a number of folks have lowered their FJRs, though the adjustable seat may be enough "cushion" for you. Some have raised them, but that's another story. Here are a couple of places one can purchase the links in varying sizes:

Wild Hair Accessories

Koubalink.com

I helped one of the local riders (who is vertically challenged) change his. He is not an aggressive rider and hasn't reported any ill effects but is rather happy to be able ot get the balls of his feet on the ground. Each of us changes what is necessary for our safety and style.

You guys are great. I will say this-I've been in love with the darn thing since I saw it in the showroom. I sat guard on it until he could get there, and told him on the phone he HAD to buy it. ahhhh such fond memories, and I have been green with envy ever since.
The FJR is absolutely unbelievable. :dribble: There is nothing to not like about it...well, except the industrial hairdryer blowing on my shins. But everything else is purrrfect. The only drawback is I'm now going to have a hard time appreciating my SV. Of course, I can maybe sneak a few more rides on his FJR until I can get one of my own. Thanks for the thrill, hun.
So you DID get your FJR :clapping: i crossed over from a cruiser this year and I'm loving mine ('07)

No reason to sell the SV .. everyone needs a small bike to throw around in the corners.

This morning I rode both my FJR and the SV. Sure, the FJR has more power, better suspension etc, but all that weight and nasty throttle lurching negates all of those advantages. Where I was working to ride the FJR fast, the SV was a dream, besting the FJR's corner exits (same corners) by 10+ mph ... and it was asking for more.

There are thing the SV does well, and there are things the FJR does well. Pick the right tool for the job!

Way to go you two! Nice to see your wife has such good taste. I too have a wife that "bought" me a new Vmax in '02. What a fun bike. My obsession with it got me in hot water with her though. She got quite tired of it. her response? She went out and got her own endorsement and a '82 Silverwing. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Now I have a '06 FJR and she has a '05 Honda ST1300. Nice to have 2 nice bikes. She doesn't ride much, but she does understand better.

Congratulations to you for finding a wife that is not only hot! but a motorcycling woman. Life can be good!

paul from Minnesota

Your screwed! better get ready to buy another FJR.

I was terrified when my wife rode my Hayabusa , but luckily, she rode it once, and said , I'm good.

aq.jpg