So...it's been about a year with my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meltdown

Reaction score
Florida...it's just like Hell, only hotter&#33
I bought my 08 about a year ago brand new and have ridden it about 4k miles so far (yeah, it was a busy year and for living in Florida that's pitiful).

My observations so far:

1) I have the worst set of chicken strips I've even. There isn't a twisty road anywhere in this whole crummy state that I'm aware of.

2) The windscreen isn't quite tall enough for somebody 6 feet tall with a 32 inch inseam.

3) The bike runs like a bat out of Hell.

4) I've averaged 40.1 MPG with spirited riding on 93 octane gas.

5) I hate my local stealership

6) My fiancee still loves the bike...but the word "Goldwing" has popped up on more than one occasion.

7) It needs better lights. A set of Hella Micro DE HID's are on the way.

8) ...so is a GIVI trunk.

9) I'm up for suggestions on a better seat for someone that has NAS (no ass syndrome).

10) I LOVE the bike.

:yahoo:

Agree with you on #2 (I have the same height and inseam as you). Cee Bailey +4/+2 fixed the problem for me. Lots of threads on windshields on this forum.

I haven't found the seat to be as much of a problem for me as the seating position. Tried all the stock handlebar settings, riser blocks, but in the end it took a riser plate to fix the problem for good. No more wrist fatigue and a more upright riding position make the FJR a perfect fit for me now.

I noticed that this was your first post. How did you get by not posting on the New Member section first? Welcome and I can tell you I feel your pain about the lack of twisty roads. In OK I have to ride quite a way to find many curves in the road also. I am a little shorter than you and the windshield works fine for me. I also have had my 07 for just over a year and still have the stock seat. I am good on it for about 3 hours before I need a break. Good luck with your hunt for another seat. If you can find someone who has one before you buy as seat comfort is a personal thing.

I bought my 08 about a year ago brand new and have ridden it about 4k miles so far (yeah, it was a busy year and for living in Florida that's pitiful).
My observations so far:

1) I have the worst set of chicken strips I've even. There isn't a twisty road anywhere in this whole crummy state that I'm aware of.

2) The windscreen isn't quite tall enough for somebody 6 feet tall with a 32 inch inseam.

3) The bike runs like a bat out of Hell.

4) I've averaged 40.1 MPG with spirited riding on 93 octane gas.

5) I hate my local stealership

6) My fiancee still loves the bike...but the word "Goldwing" has popped up on more than one occasion.

7) It needs better lights. A set of Hella Micro DE HID's are on the way.

8) ...so is a GIVI trunk.

9) I'm up for suggestions on a better seat for someone that has NAS (no ass syndrome).

10) I LOVE the bike.

:yahoo:
I hear a waffle and feel tremendous compassion for a soon to be wed couple :( So let me know when you're ready to trade... an FJR for a Wing ;)

Agree with you on #2 (I have the same height and inseam as you). Cee Bailey +4/+2 fixed the problem for me. Lots of threads on windshields on this forum.
I haven't found the seat to be as much of a problem for me as the seating position. Tried all the stock handlebar settings, riser blocks, but in the end it took a riser plate to fix the problem for good. No more wrist fatigue and a more upright riding position make the FJR a perfect fit for me now.
I guess the seating position is a matter of preference. For me, its darn near perfect...but I like being bent forward just a tad.

Thanks for the suggestion on the screen. One of my regular customers at the store I run has that very screen on his 07. He loves it. He was also the one that turned me onto the GIVI trunk. Looks great on his bike.

USE REGULAR GRADE FUEL

I just looked at your profile, and aside from the fact that you have no sex, your age is an unknown.

The lighting on the FJR isn't bad at all - but as you get older you need more photons streaming forward. I also have the Hella Micro DE Xenons - were you planning on mounting them high Or low?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep Mamma happy, and you'll be happy too.

Spend some $$ on seats, custom shaped to both of yer asses..

Cheap money, in the long run..

Otherwise, think HD Ultra Classic. :yahoo:

I noticed that this was your first post. How did you get by not posting on the New Member section first?
Nope...I've posted a few time before..it was just a long time ago when I first got the bike. I'm posting again to share my experiences in the hopes that it may help someone else. :)

and I can tell you I feel your pain about the lack of twisty roads. In OK I have to ride quite a way to find many curves in the road also. I am a little shorter than you and the windshield works fine for me. I also have had my 07 for just over a year and still have the stock seat. I am good on it for about 3 hours before I need a break. Good luck with your hunt for another seat. If you can find someone who has one before you buy as seat comfort is a personal thing.
It is nice to be able to ride year round in Florida...but I'd give it up for some better roads rather than miles of dead straight interstate. Even the roads off the interstate aren't much better other than now having to worry about some clown in a cage pulling out in front of you. Thanks for the reply. :clapping:

I hear a waffle and feel tremendous compassion for a soon to be wed couple :( So let me know when you're ready to trade... an FJR for a Wing ;)
Its funny you mention that. The bike is paid for and the car payment we have will be done in about a year. She actually said that she was good with getting a 2nd bike. I'm a lucky guy this time around. My ex wouldn't even look at my motorcycle. :)

Keep Mamma happy, and you'll be happy too.Spend some $$ on seats, custom shaped to both of yer asses..

Cheap money, in the long run..

Otherwise, think HD Ultra Classic. :yahoo:
I'm hoping that the addition of a trunk with a backrest on it will make her feel a little more comfortable on the bike. Her step-father was killed on a motorcycle many moons ago and it took a great deal of faith for her to get on the back of my bike.

The Ultra Classic is a pretty bike and I'm not going to open up a Harley bashing can of worms...but a Harley simply isn't what I'm looking for. If I'm going to bigger, it'll be a Wing.

USE REGULAR GRADE FUEL
I just looked at your profile, and aside from the fact that you have no sex, your age is an unknown.

The lighting on the FJR isn't bad at all - but as you get older you need more photons streaming forward. I also have the Hella Micro DE Xenons - were you planning on mounting them high Or low?
Ha Ha...I'll have to respectfully disagree on the whole no sex comment...but I'll save that for an off topic post. :p

About 1/2 of my rides are at night and even at 38 I still would like to have more lumens thrown down the road. My intent was to mount them high. I also remember reading on a different thread that Dale was testing a HID conversion that will allow the use of HI/LOW beams. I'm drooling with anticipation. So...Dale...please hurry! :)

As far as the regular grade fuel is concerned, just re-read my owners manual and there it is bigger than anything. Feel pretty stupid. :unsure: Well...I don't think it hurt anything other than giving a little more money to Chevron. Ha ha.

I've had my '08 for about two months. Also 6' with a 32" inseam.

2.) Cee Bailey +3/2 Flip screen was my first change. Fixed that issue.

4.) Why on earth are you running premium fuel?

9.) You should have checked back sooner during the group buy for Russell seats. Russells are good. I'm sure others will chime in. Mine should be here anyday now.

Why have you waited so long to start farkling the bike? That's half the fun. Aside from what's listed above I've also added:

Wild Bill Highway Pegs

Back-Off Brake light module and red LED License Plate frame

Frame Sliders

Grip Puppies

Throttle Lock

Martin Driving Lights

Fuzeblock Auxiliarly fuse box

Bag Reflector Decals

Tank Bra

Garage Door Opener (hardwired)

Garmin Zumo GPS Mount

Two Powelet Sockets

Ventura Pack Rack Luggage Mount

I almost have mine ready for this season. Now if my seat would just get here. :rolleyes:

This sign is in Florida. Swear! The roads only 5 miles long, has 3 points you have to downshift, but it's in Florida, and you have to use both hands and both feet! :p

KnoxHill.jpg

Of course, it's way up in the panhandle, nearly Alabama fer gosh sakes!

Granted, mostly they look like this:

DSC03093.jpg

- - - Don't worry about the chicken strips. I have them too and only know that I can lean the bike over enough to suit my driving

skills.

- - - Yamaha has a better screen and so do most of the aftermarket places.

- - - Why in the hell are you using 93 octane when the bike was designed to run on 87 octane / Stop trying to make the rules

and follow the rules.

- - - I live in Florida from November to May and find just enough curves to make me happy. 301 from Starke down to Tampa is

pretty good, in addition to anything around Lake O and or anything in the Sugar Cane lands around that part of the state. Get

a map of Florida {only} and look at all of the back roads marked in grey. They tend to have numbers like 731, 833, 232, 361

and numbers like that. Now take your map and run a copy of it off, then put it in your tank bag and have some fun.

Vinni / Tha Butcher of Naples

Re: #7 I have a 1st gen. and the headlights are really great. Maybe you need to adjust them. I've considered additional lights, but for cornering (there is no shortage of twisty roads around here, not trying to rub it in). I was going to aim them at around 45 degrees up and off to the left and right to be able to see into the turns.

NP, your lucky to live in the climate your in. But yes there is always something to counter our or cramp our style. First I would say the seat is where you will gain more satisfaction for riding your bike especially if you will go two up. There are a few good seat makers around and searching them here will bring many many conversations of this subject. I made my own as some of the other members here have done but first that comes to mind is Russell, then Rick or Bill Mayer, and finally Sargent. Some have bought a sheepskin cover that just straps over the stock seat for added comfort on the cheap side of seating. Of note here is personally I don't like the Corbins as they are way too hard. If your butt is happy then you will be able to concentrate on the ride and enjoy it.

I use middle grade fuel. Found it works best on the FJR. Many like to use regular. And oh ya, carefull adding farkles to the bike, it is a serious habit that can develop into a condition that has an unknown cure as to date. And get out of Dodge, ie, Florida while riding. The FJR will allow one to encounter many states in just a short amount of time. And also good lighting in many forms is available for the FJR. The best place to find what they are is here on the board. Good luck my friend and keep us posted. Ride safe, Painman. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, FL is a fav state of mine

Your close enough to consider attending my New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering March 6-9, '09

hit the CLICKY in my sig

My comfort farkles on my '04 are (consider them mandatory):

Cal Sci Medium Shield

Combination of 2 sets of risers

Wild Bill Highway Pegs

Hyperlites

J&M CB radio with MP3 hookup

Adaptiv TPX motorcycle radar detector with visual led warning & wireless helmet audio warning

Frame Sliders

Grip Puppies

Throttle Lock

Lazer Light Bullet Light down low - recommended by MCN

Bag Reflector Decals

Tank Protector

Garmin Zumo GPS Mount

Socket

Nelson Rigg Survivor Luggage

Matching Yammy Trunk

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'