So long new 2006 FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you guys knock it off?! 985DingDong has left the building and took his tackle wid'im. Sheesh! :p
Now, how do I get this scuff off my shoe from the shifter?
I guess 90210ding dong got the sand out of his vagina, maybe that would also get the scuff off your pumps TWN. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted photos on it here:
https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/thottlepulley

You probably would be smart to tie some dental floss on the shim to use as a lanyard in case you drop it. Then cut it off when you get it in place.

You guys would not believe what a difference this makes in the way the bike rides. It is a night and day difference.
Fred,

Could you estimate your time to completion if you had to do this over again, knowing what you know now?

I have the twitchiness too. I think it may be a lean mixture...sounds like it needs a tune of sorts. I will wait for the PCIII and se if anyone has good results with it.

Skoot,

Dynojet doesn't sell a PCIII for the '06 yet... I believe they're working on it, but don't think new owners could have installed one yet, even if they wanted to.
Power Commander's site shows this # for the 06 FJR 419-411. I e-mailed them to be sure.

Link
Notice the printing for the new Power Commader part number is in Black while the others are in Blue. This is Dynojet code for "Not yet available".

I have the twitchiness too. I think it may be a lean mixture...sounds like it needs a tune of sorts. I will wait for the PCIII and se if anyone has good results with it.

I balanced my throttle bodies today after doing the Jumper mod and spring unhooking a while ago.

The T-bodys were not far out at all but I did a little tweeking and it made a big difference.

Much smoother. Bike used to choke when blipping the throttle from idle...gone now.

I know that this has been mentioned on other threads but if you go to the Power Commander home page and click on FREE POWER COMMANDER, they have it listed there for someone in the Las Vegas area to use their 06' fjr for the design and receive it all for FREE. I can't believe someone hasn't taken em' up on that yet. It's almost worth a drive from FL (NOT). From what I've learned, the power commander with dyno tuning takes all the guess work out of making it run it's best from any improvements to intake, exhaust or just climate specific mapping. I looked up the dyno tuning locations in my area and found a bike shop in Daytona Beach that does them. The guy that does the tunings goes to events/rallys with the mobile dyno. Believe he charges <$100. He said as soon as the PC comes available, come on down.

gitterdan

I think he should bring the bike to WFO5 and have someone else ride it for comparison. I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions there. :)

I know that this has been mentioned on other threads but if you go to the Power Commander home page and click on FREE POWER COMMANDER, they have it listed there for someone in the Las Vegas area to use their 06' fjr for the design and receive it all for FREE. I can't believe someone hasn't taken em' up on that yet. It's almost worth a drive from FL (NOT). the PC comes available, come on down.
gitterdan

Yup. That is a great deal. Don't know why anybody hasn't taken them up on it.

I did the exact same deal with my 04. Rode to Vegas and got the Power Commander free and installed by dynojet. With mine, they developed the map for the Holeshot slip-ons.

Nice little adventure.

Man, I have the old dinosaur 03. Poor thing, has the Dale Walker Holeshot full system with a custom map. You'd be hard pressed to find a bike that is smoother and more responsive with the FJR qualities.

I balanced my throttle bodies today after doing the Jumper mod and spring unhooking a while ago.

The T-bodys were not far out at all but I did a little tweeking and it made a big difference.

Much smoother. Bike used to choke when blipping the throttle from idle...gone now.

As i stated earlier - the TBS made a great deal of difference. didn't eliminate the abruptness, but smoothed it out. Fixed the stall, too.

One thing that I would venture is that what the factory or your shop thinks of Throttle Bodies and "within spec" is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

What do you all think about doing a TBS at 3,000 RPM or 4,000 RPM instead of just off idle? Since this is where you ride the bike - doesn't it make more sense to sync it where you ride it?

What do you all think about doing a TBS at 3,000 RPM or 4,000 RPM instead of just off idle? Since this is where you ride the bike - doesn't it make more sense to sync it where you ride it?
That would be just great if you do it with the bike in 5th and a dyno loading the drive train. Otherwise the linkage is just slightly above the idle position.
Do it at idle otherwise.

PCIII is not going to help this issue. If the bike had this issue during acceleration, then the PCIII may be the ticket. ... BUT This issue is during transitioning due to the throttle pulley. It has nothing to do with how smooth the engine runs. My 06 could not accerate more smoothly (once i'm into the throttle after the herky jerky). We all know that yamaha changed this throttle system on the 06 and this issue did not plague the 03-05's.

GreyGoose

We all know that yamaha changed this throttle system on the 06 and this issue did not plague the 03-05's.
Let me take a SWAG here...

I believe this pulley change is directly related to the clutch engagement rate for the AE. The computer is just better in the friction zone than most of us. That doesn't surprise me at all. We owners of "normal" '06s got the benefit of the AE required higher output stator, and to balance things out, the counter progressive pulley.

I don't have a problem with it after 2500 miles, but it was very noticable during the learning curve.

PCIII is not going to help this issue. If the bike had this issue during acceleration, then the PCIII may be the ticket. ... BUT This issue is during transitioning due to the throttle pulley. It has nothing to do with how smooth the engine runs. My 06 could not accerate more smoothly (once i'm into the throttle after the herky jerky). We all know that yamaha changed this throttle system on the 06 and this issue did not plague the 03-05's.
GreyGoose
Hmmmm....How do I politely say you don't know what you are talking about? :eek:

PCIII is not just for acceleration, and it's PRIMARY benefit is for the *transition* as you call it.

We all know that yamaha changed this throttle system on the 06 and this issue did not plague the 03-05's.
GreyGoose

Here's a linky for ya mister all-knowing and powerful GreyGoose. Notice the date and model, and paragraphs 2 and 3.

D'oh BART! Insert foot into mouth now.

:p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And yes, NUT, it's like scene of a car crash. Ya just can't help it. But you should know about that. Where's Dallara been anyways?

BeatDeadHorse.gif

GreyGoose

Here's a linky for ya mister all-knowing and powerful GreyGoose. Notice the date and model, and paragraphs 2 and 3.

D'oh BART! Insert foot into mouth now.

:p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And yes, NUT, it's like scene of a car crash. Ya just can't help it. But you should know about that. Where's Dallara been anyways?
SkooterG,

Never had anyone take a pot shot at me on the forum before. I better schedule an apointment with the local shrink in town. I'm not sure how it makes me feel. :blink:

GreyGoose (signing out)

SkooterG,
Never had anyone take a pot shot at me on the forum before. I better schedule an apointment with the local shrink in town. I'm not sure how it makes me feel. :blink:

GreyGoose (signing out)

That wasn't a potshot. That was a full broadside! Nuttin personal, though. Feel free to call me for a recommendation on a shrink. I have been throught lots of em. So far, none can crack the ol spinny head.

Just trying to point out that many of us around here have BTDT, and that an open mind is very necessary while trying to work through this issue.

No comment on the 03 article? Doesn't it describe pretty accurately your issue with the 06 throttle?