So long new 2006 FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I hate to say this but my new 2006 with 150 miles is going back to the dealer :bad: ! The throttle problem is sonething I cannot tolerate. It almost dumped me twice both times in turns!. Now I have been riding motorcycles since 1968,and no bike has been this touchy :angry: !Yes I did the jumper mod ,I did the spring thing and installed larger grips, still the same on-off response! What kills me is a friend of mine has a 2003FJR and there’s nowhere near that control problem! I understand Yamaha changed the throttle pulley and I’m quiet sure that’s the problem, I don’t want to fool around with replacing it with a 05 pulley I don’t have the time.Soooo If the dealer wants to stick it to me too badly you will see it up for sale on the form site :mega_shok: That kills me cuz I spent 2 years lookin for the rite bike and thought this was it! :waaa:
Before I would sell the bike - I would do at least one more thing - you did the barbarian and the spring - did you do a TBS? I found the bike a little twitchy in 1st gear corners - at least relative to previous bikes. Adjusting the idle and doing a tbs - along with the barbarian seems to have taken most of it out.

Also - 6,000 miles on it may have calibrated my right hand a bit.

4 posts total, 1 on goodbye feej, and no counterpoint to any of the input since origin. I suspect either this
Forum_Troll_Full_Size.jpg

or this
dramaqueen.gif

yeah, does sound suspect...just joined the forum yesterday to bitch about the bike and say he's getting rid of it? :glare:

But, giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, he didn't say what bike(s) he had been riding prior to the FJR purchase...going to an FJR from, say, an old 80s 'UJM' would be a huge difference..at least it was for me. My old GS1100L, with its unremarkable specs (by today's standards) feels completely comfortable and sedate..hopping on the Feej is like getting into a Ferrari..hard-edged, mission-driven, urgent... (which is exactly why I love it)..

I could give a shit about this guy and his fuckin' piece of shit bike. I'm just glad to see tits 'n ass for peeps avatars!

SHOW US YOUR BOOBIES!!!!! :good:

Could be as easy as this

(Quote by FredH))Just got done installing a set of Grip Puppies from www.casporttouring.com ($7.50 delivered). (Order the small size)

Click Here

They go on pretty easily and will increase the diameter of your grips enough that it will make a difference on throttle control. This esentially does the same thing my throttle pulley shim does, though to a lesser degree.

If you have done the Barbarian mod, released the throttle spring, and taken out the slack in the cable and still are not happy with the throttle response, then this would be the next logical step if you don't want to mess with the throttle pulley.

Try it, I think you will find it makes a significant improvement(Quote)

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing people writing here about how twitchy the throttle is and I have yet to experience anything remotely like that.
+1
+2 Give it time. I only have 2000 miles on the ODO but it is starting to feel more comfy all the time...except the seat. Grip puppies helped; and I just ordered a throttle boss for longer rides. I'm leary about modifying anything major until I get another few thousand on the bike. My riding style had to change a bit, but I love this rock steady bike in the twisties! Give it time dude!
@ ShinyPartsUp,

Nice improvement on the avatar, buddy!

I cant say i blame you on the possible sale of the bike. It takes way too much effort to smooth this thing out in stop and go traffic. I've done all the mods and found the bike to be much much better than it was when i first got it.....BUT.....it still requires you to think about your transitions in 1st and 2nd gear. These transitions used to be mindless (as they should be). I able to smooth mine out, when i think about it. But who the hell wants to do that all day. Sounds like alot of the forum members do. this issue is very similiar to the heat problem in previous years.

Here is what i suggest: Do the mods!!! All the mods... i'm getting ready to do the new mod that fred H. is suggesting (he's even going to send me the wire in the correct shape). at that point, you know your done with this issue. You've done everything you can. If it continues to bother you, stay with the bike anyway. The problem is that you own the best sport touring bike made. You should hang on to it untill something comes out that can compete with it. then sell it if you dont like the throttle issue. Thats my plan (if Fred H. new throttle mod doesnt fix my issue.). The st1300 aint gonna do it for you. it'll cook you and its heavy as hell. But...there rumors of a brand new redisigned st1300 coming out in the next couple of years. you cold always go back in time and find a used st1100. Hard to go wrong there (but is nowhere near the bike the FJR is). You'll get better and better with the throttle as time goes. Initially this throttle thing was a show stopper, now its just an annoyance. (C'mon fred, wheres my wire!!!!!!)

GreyGoose

Here is what i suggest: Do the mods!!! All the mods...
GreyGoose

Uhhhh..........as far as I am concerned, there is not a single person who has yet done ALL the mods.

Have any of you who are on the more vocal side of this problem installed a PCIII yet? I am not convinced that it is the throttle pulley which is the root cause of the problem. I think there is a good chance that the root cause is the fuel injection mapping. FI mapping and "lean surging" will vary from FJR to FJR. That would explain why some consider this a real problem, and some don't. Barbarian jumper is only a partial solution to any drivability issues due to lean fuel injection mapping. The PCIII is the complete solution. How do I know this? Several 03-05 owners went through the same thing, though it seems not quite as severe as a few of you 06 owners are reporting.

Of course this is all theory. So when are one of you 06 owners who are so vocal about this problem going to get off your butt and try the PCIII? Somebody needs to be the guinea pig. Until it is tried, nobody knows what effect, if any, it will have on this problem. Jabba? GreyGoose? Fred?

Skoot,

Dynojet doesn't sell a PCIII for the '06 yet... I believe they're working on it, but don't think new owners could have installed one yet, even if they wanted to.

I dont get it, I do not feel the FJR is twitchy at all!!! In fact just the opposite, even riding 2 up my passenger says it is way smoother than the 2005 GoldWing we had. Shifts smooth, and accelerates smooth. And I ride it like a sport bike. I like it so much, I may not replace my 06 GSXR with an 07 GSXR, because I feel the FJR can hang with the majority of the SportBike riders out there. you want twitchy, go hop on a 06 GSXR 1000 (365# and 170Hp). Fun Fun Fun!!!! :)

Give the FJR a little more time, take it out and ride it some get adjusted to it. 150 miles, how long have you had it? Its not even broken in yet, nor are you to it. I cannot think of one person that can get on a stock bike, and say it is perfect out of the box!!! If that was true, the aftermarket companies would be out of business. I also believe, when one person complains about something, it gives others ideas that it is a problem for them also. The first time I rode a friends 06 FJR (Rocket) I was expecting alot of vibration, clunky shifting, whistling, and lots and lots of hot air blowing on me!!! I stopped and told him, the people on the forum are crazy, this bike is super smooth, very nimble, and shifts like glass, and what heat issue!!!

Todd

Skoot,
Dynojet doesn't sell a PCIII for the '06 yet... I believe they're working on it, but don't think new owners could have installed one yet, even if they wanted to.
Whatever! Just STFU already! :p

Always with the excuses!

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

[SIZE=8pt]Guess we'll have to wait for a PCIII that will fit an 06, eh?[/SIZE]

GreyGoose

Uhhhh..........as far as I am concerned, there is not a single person who has yet done ALL the mods.

Have any of you who are on the more vocal side of this problem installed a PCIII yet? I am not convinced that it is the throttle pulley which is the root cause of the problem. I think there is a good chance that the root cause is the fuel injection mapping. FI mapping and "lean surging" will vary from FJR to FJR. That would explain why some consider this a real problem, and some don't. Barbarian jumper is only a partial solution to any drivability issues due to lean fuel injection mapping. The PCIII is the complete solution. How do I know this? Several 03-05 owners went through the same thing, though it seems not quite as severe as a few of you 06 owners are reporting.

Of course this is all theory. So when are one of you 06 owners who are so vocal about this problem going to get off your butt and try the PCIII? Somebody needs to be the guinea pig. Until it is tried, nobody knows what effect, if any, it will have on this problem. Jabba? GreyGoose? Fred?

Skooter...I had a 05 FJR for a year,I put risers on it and drove it with no other mods and I was happy.

Now my 06 FJR is different, I had to do the Barbarian jumper mod and take the slop out of the throttle and

loosen the center throttle spring.Now that I have done the mods to it now the bike is fine. My right hand used to fall asleep before the mods.By riching up the fuel mixture it took a lot of the vibes out.

I forgot I had grip puppies on the 05 and I put them on the 06 too.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Ed.... :p

Will you guys knock it off?! 985DingDong has left the building and took his tackle wid'im. Sheesh! :p

Now, how do I get this scuff off my shoe from the shifter?

Skoot, Dynojet doesn't sell a PCIII for the '06 yet... I believe they're working on it, but don't think new owners could have installed one yet, even if they wanted to.
Waaaa... sounds like someone vagina is hurting.

Tell it to the folks who bought the '03's and had to wait for EVERYTHING to be made for it. Not like the '06, where a lot of stuff works on all model years... or even that there was a knowledge base outside of the European market to turn to for answers.

Cry me a river. :cry: :cray:

Skoot,
Power Commander's site shows this # for the 06 FJR 419-411. I e-mailed them to be sure.

Link

GreyGoose

Finally- a rational response to a complaint about the FJR?! Incredible! I'll do the PC III if that's what it takes- once it's available. I'll do whatever it takes to get this thing right- I absolutely love the FJR design- but for whatever reason mine is an unruly bitch to get on and off throttle. It's not a shifting issue folks, it's anytime you re-apply the throttle from an off-throttle situation. Worst case is 2nd and 3rd gear, in twisties and around town- but even at highway speeds you get a lurch instead of a smooth pick up when you open the throttle again- a light touch and slow/smooth wrist helps, but the lurch is still there. As stated above, you have to concentrate (and delay) your throttle input in order to avoid the lurching.

What just blows me away is the "Kill the messenger" nature of so many of the responses to this problem. WTF? This is not an operator smoothness issue- yes, you can get better throttle engagement by being smooth- but this 'problem' is one of design or tuning. From the over the top responses of so many here, I'd say it's a tuning issue more than a design issue. Some seem to run smoothly, and others are afflicted with a truly abrupt throttle response. Initially I thought it was driveline lash in the transmission and shaft- I've had five shaft drive bikes, btw- and three fuel injected bikes in over 25 years of street riding. Now I'm starting to think this is a fuel delivery issue- and that could be entirely related to state of tune and adjustment of the FI system. Morgan Carbtune II has been ordered, but is on backorder for several weeks. PC III seems to be the next logical step... and I'll take it when the time comes. Please folks, shoot the messenger isn't helping anybody who is struggling with this issue- and none of us bought these things anticipating anything of this nature.

I am not convinced that it is the throttle pulley which is the root cause of the problem.
I am. It is most definitely caused by the throttle pulley. You wouldn't believe what a difference the shim I added makes. The engine delivers power in a smooth and predictable way and can easily be controlled, but the progressive nature of the throttle pulley makes that nearly impossible.

The throttle on the 06 is most definitely sensitive and though many riders are able to adjust to it, it still isn't right. The bike should not take that much effort to control, and it doesn't when you have a shim on the pulley. My bike now rides like any other bike does, and has ZERO lurch or jerkyiness.

Fred,

Is there an instruction guide or help file for doing the throttle pulley shimming? As a member of the mechanically challenged riders, any help would be appreciated. Hopefully, mine will not have the problems others have had. Fingers are crossed.