So long!```

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we part company, maybe one little bit of advice would be in order. When you're out on the slab, and you twist the throttle on the Wing and nothing happens, don't get off to see why it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It didn't stall. That's just FJR lag. Be patient: after awhile, your memory of the FJR will begin to fade and the Wing will begin to feel more...

tolerable.

Ride safe and remember to slow down on the corners. Bad habits on an FJR could become big mistakes on a 900 pound Wing.

Gary

darksider #44

I've rented a Wingabago 2 times and had a ball. If and when I wear out my Feejeer it would be the bike of choice to replace it as I could be really old by then. :innocent:

But I'll still have my FZ1 for real fun

Just as well Streak.. This joint is going into the shithole rapidly as of late..

Damned sissy assed noobs and their..... I'm to feckin stoopid to look questions..

Tim is rolling in his grave..

I have a really comfortable couch and a really great bike. One makes me look forward to getting off the other. However, I could NEVER combine the two.
As we part company, maybe one little bit of advice would be in order. When you're out on the slab, and you twist the throttle on the Wing and nothing happens, don't get off to see why it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Interesting how perspective colors one's view. In my opinion, the FJR is a slow couch compared to the new Ninja 1000.

A good friend of mine stopped by on his new Ninja 1000. I got to sit on it, and I'll be damned if it wasn't more comfy than the FJR, much shorter and much lighter. He offered a test ride but I declined, taking a rain check until after he gets it broken in. I suspect is it also MUCH faster than the FJR, and turns in a lot quicker too. He is still waiting for the sidecases - they aren't available yet.

If I had $5k, and could get $6k for my 06 FJR, then I would be on a Ninja 1000 as soon as I can get the bags.

Hey all,

Well, I did it! I sold my 08 for a 2010 GL1800 (new leftover). I will miss the speed of the FJR but not much else. I do have a Bandit 1200S for the speed thing anyway. This is a great forum with alot of knowledge and a great attitude!

So long for now but who knows, if Yamaha finally changes the FJR, I may be back when it's time to replace my Bandit.

Peace to all,

Rob
I've always said it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride . . .err, I draw the line at Harleys though. . .

I have a really comfortable couch and a really great bike. One makes me look forward to getting off the other. However, I could NEVER combine the two.
As we part company, maybe one little bit of advice would be in order. When you're out on the slab, and you twist the throttle on the Wing and nothing happens, don't get off to see why it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Interesting how perspective colors one's view. In my opinion, the FJR is a slow couch compared to the new Ninja 1000.

A good friend of mine stopped by on his new Ninja 1000. I got to sit on it, and I'll be damned if it wasn't more comfy than the FJR, much shorter and much lighter. He offered a test ride but I declined, taking a rain check until after he gets it broken in. I suspect is it also MUCH faster than the FJR, and turns in a lot quicker too. He is still waiting for the sidecases - they aren't available yet.

If I had $5k, and could get $6k for my 06 FJR, then I would be on a Ninja 1000 as soon as I can get the bags.
haven't had the opportunity to ride one but they do look nice and on paper appear like a nice machine

_34D4742.jpg

Hey BobMercer, I paid $21,600 for premium Audio/comfort/nav/ABS. I got $1000 of free accessories and an extra 1 year warrenty added to the 3 year unlimited miles standard one. Oh and 2 year free XM radio service. The Dealer gave me $7400 for my 2008 FJR. I thought I made out good.

As for the people who think the Wing is a bear to handle in the twisties, take a look at this guy on the tail of the dragon:

I would have kepted the FJR if I did not have the Bandit 1200S but I needed to help offset the price of the Wing so the FJR had to go. I love my Bandit but am looking to get a 2011 leftover Bandit 1250 and put Givi saddle bags..I like the way the Bandits handle, much better than the FJR...IMO.

A couple of comments

1) The video is awesome and the Honda and photographer would likely smoke me on the dragon, but the photographer's bike was scraping on almost every turn which means maybe they really weren't going that fast as he was not on a performance bike. I'd love to do that type of video on my FJR, my Guzzi, or my little 250 Ninjette I bet I'd look good too. I've never had a wing keep up with me on the twisties when I'm on the Guzzi. However really skilled guys like this guy likely would kick my butt.

2) The Bandit is probably the most under appreciated bike in the market. Very powerful,comfortable and reliable. I sold mine to get the FJR. I'm not sorry, the FJR's windshield, side bags and easy mount trunk make it so much easier to load up and provides better wind protection. I do long distance camping trips and the FJR is better designed for that. It carries cargo with aplomb and is on par with the Bandit for power. I'll have to admit that the lighter Bandit is easier to handle in the tight twisties. I bought the FJR for camping trips across the country. Me thinks its the better bike for this type of riding. However I have a tremendous respect for the humble Bandit for lessor long distance applications.

I agree your comparison of the Bandit to the FJR but for anything more than around 75 miles, I now take the wing. I'm a MSF Instructor too so I use the Bandit for going to my main job, teaching MSF ERC and ARC courses or short trips under 50-75 miles. Don't need all the capacity of the FJR when I have the Wing for the longer trips and the saddlebags on the Bandit are just as easy to use as on the FJR.

Hey all,

Well, I did it! I sold my 08 for a 2010 GL1800 (new leftover). I will miss the speed of the FJR but not much else. I do have a Bandit 1200S for the speed thing anyway. This is a great forum with alot of knowledge and a great attitude!

So long for now but who knows, if Yamaha finally changes the FJR, I may be back when it's time to replace my Bandit.

Peace to all,

Rob
I just about pulled the trigger on a Goldwing this past January. The dealer and I could not agree on a price. BMW is now releasing the K1600 series bikes. I am going to wait for the opportunity to throw a leg over the BMW's before I make a decision on a new bike. My FJR will remain part of my fleet.

haven't had the opportunity to ride one but they do look nice and on paper appear like a nice machine

_34D4742.jpg
What the hell is it with the fugly pipes on all these bikes. They getting built by queers.

The FJR is getting long in the tooth.

Yammie needs to update, and soon.

The C14 is looking better and better all the time.

That is pretty cool. Taking such a heavy bike through that course would be a challenge, but the goldwing handles it well.