So my passenger loves the FJR, but...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viffer

Reaction score
...her toes are going numb after 30 minutes! The weather finally broke here and we have finally been able to go out riding, but this issue is one we never saw coming. She was fine on the old VFR, but something about this seating position is causing here toes to go numb. So possible fixes are changing the seat to see if it helps with circulation. I have new Sargent seats on it, but will try the stocker for a bit to see if that helps. Then there's the issue of her wearing high heel boots. It's taking everything I have to convince her to wear lower heels or flat boots to ride, and she might be coming around finally. The only other thing I can think to try would be to lower the rear footpegs or find some with more rubber/vibration absorbtion. She was saying that she could feel vibs in the pegs and thought that was causing the issue.

Have any of you guys run into this problem before? If so any solutions? I've also been searching for some wider footpegs but it really seems like no aftermarket pegs or peg adapters exist for the FJR, which is very suprising. There's a few Kuryakyn pegs that would work great, but I can't find that they have an adapter for the FJR. Sucks.. :( .

For some reason on all my FJRs, my heels would on occasion go to "sleep" on long mileage days. I went to using a couple of Dr. Scholls heel inserts in my boots, problem solved.

there's the issue of her wearing high heel boots.
It's probably the boots. They don't sound very practical. Send pictures.

212218888.jpg

Three things come to mind as possible fixes for the cramped pillion leg position (esp. if she's long legged) and numbess:

1) Extenders that move the peg position forward and down

2) Floorboards mentioned above, alone or in combination with extenders

3) Reduce vibration felt in pegs that some riders have complained of. A throttle body sync has sometimes been all that has been required to reduce complained of vibration.

My ex-GF was tall and long legged and complained of discomfort in her left knee and then the beginnings of numbness in her feet after an hour or so with the OEM peg position. I keep the bike tuned (including TBS as per 3), and a combination of 1 and 2 cured the problem for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those floorboards look like they are pretty functional, even if not the best looking. She's only 5'4" and her legs aren't that long, so I'm thinking lower pegs might not be the first solution. If all else fails though, I'll put the extenders on. Thanks for the suggestions...

Btw you guys with the knifemaker floorboards, do they simply bolt onto the stock footpeg? If so that's a pretty ingenious idea a super simple.

Those floorboards look like they are pretty functional, even if not the best looking. She's only 5'4" and her legs aren't that long, so I'm thinking lower pegs might not be the first solution. If all else fails though, I'll put the extenders on. Thanks for the suggestions...

Btw you guys with the knifemaker floorboards, do they simply bolt onto the stock footpeg? If so that's a pretty ingenious idea a super simple.
I as well picked up a set of the knifemaker floorboards for GF. She has the ability to change her foot positions which assists in the comfort. As an added bonus, she has a larger surface for mounting the bike. With the Givi and she being 5'2" the extra surface was greatly appreciated for swinging her leg over the Givi.

Willie

Glad I saw this, my wife rarely rides with me, she rides her own, but she is 5'8" and if you guys are saying it's cramped for 5'2" type heights, she is gonna be in trouble with her long inseam.

Yes. You unbolt the OEM rubber pad attached to the top of the stock footpeg, ream out the hole in the stock footpeg very slightly with a drill bit, and bolt on the floorboards.

Well wouldn't you know. It took an act of God to pull off, but i was able to get her to try lower heel boots, and it solved the whole issue! The cost of a pair of boots sure is easier than modding the bike. We had a good comfy ride today. Now to just get through this break on period...

Glad I saw this, my wife rarely rides with me, she rides her own, but she is 5'8" and if you guys are saying it's cramped for 5'2" type heights, she is gonna be in trouble with her long inseam.
Try the peg extenders mentioned earlier. My wife is also 5'8" and she is comfortable with the legroom since I added those.