So . . . . worth keeping and upgrading? Or get a new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say keep the Feejer..

Even farkled to death your pocket book will thank you!!

Besides...

The FJR is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles...

It can do so many different things well, and yet still do so many of them great!!

Why change? You only gots 20,000 miles on your drive train...

Thats still getting broke in!!

WW

I guess I'm a bit confused. You say that you have a perfectly good FJR, and yet you are considering getting rid of it and buying a gold wing? How old are you? I'm 52 and I am at least 10 years away from gold wing-ership.
Well my FJR will be paid off when I return. It was ORIGINALLY going to be an FJR and a goldwing. And goldwing for weekend trips with the girlfriend and FJR for daily commuting/fun. But based on advice from here and assurance that the FJR will last long enough to get my $$$s worth out of any farkles I put on it, I'm just gonna keep that. She doesn't mind riding on the FJR as is, and I'm sure with a better seat will just appreciate it that much more. And I'm glad to hear you have all that stuff on your 1st gen. Helps me realize that mine will make it with whatever juice it has to spare too!
Alexi

I posted this a while back, with the caveat that money wouldn't be an issue. Now, I find myself growing cheaper and I want to see what the answer would be if money WERE an issue . . .
basically, I return from being overseas at the end of the year. My 2003 FJR (with about 20,000 miles) will have been stored for all that time. I'm thinking about either,

A) installing the higher output stator, J&M Radio to communicate with my passenger (girlfriend) and listen to my ipod, a REALLY nice seat (looking at probably getting a russell custom made at the factory), and a nicer windshield, maybe a larger topbox than the yamaha one (givi 52)). Depending on how I feel, I might even go so far as to put an exhaust system and have the engine tuned.

OR . . .

B) Get a goldwing (big change, but from the test ride, I loved it, just a lot more $$$ than the FJR)

I'm just worried about the age of my FJR (should I be?) and whether putting a few thousand into it will give me at least a few more years of continued and improved usage. I know the motors run for MANY miles, but I'm talking about just plain 'ol old age here.

Whereas with the goldwing, I'd get it brand new for about 19k, and that'll include all the features I wanted to put on the FJR, plus a 7 year warranty.

Basically, IF money wasn't an object, it'd be the goldwing. But if I want to be stingy, yet still have a bike that'll last a few more years (let's say about six?), would the FJR make it?

Thanks.

Alexi

The reason I have an FJR is that I couldnt quite afford a goldwing at the time. My vote is that you have the money and desire, go for the big rig.

The reason I have an FJR is that I couldnt quite afford a goldwing at the time. My vote is that you have the money and desire, go for the big rig.
An FJR is a poor substitute for a Gold Wing, if that is the kind of riding you are into. By that I mean point A to point B, 2-up slab TOURING on interstates.

But a Gold Wing is an even poorer substitute for an FJR, if that is the kind of riding you are into. By that I mean SPORT touring on twisty secondary roads.

FWIW, I only ride on interstates when I have no other choice. For that kind of TOURING, I'd just as soon take a cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this a while back, with the caveat that money wouldn't be an issue. Now, I find myself growing cheaper and I want to see what the answer would be if money WERE an issue . . .
basically, I return from being overseas at the end of the year. My 2003 FJR (with about 20,000 miles) will have been stored for all that time. I'm thinking about either,

A) installing the higher output stator, J&M Radio to communicate with my passenger (girlfriend) and listen to my ipod, a REALLY nice seat (looking at probably getting a russell custom made at the factory), and a nicer windshield, maybe a larger topbox than the yamaha one (givi 52)). Depending on how I feel, I might even go so far as to put an exhaust system and have the engine tuned.

OR . . .

B) Get a goldwing (big change, but from the test ride, I loved it, just a lot more $$$ than the FJR)

I'm just worried about the age of my FJR (should I be?) and whether putting a few thousand into it will give me at least a few more years of continued and improved usage. I know the motors run for MANY miles, but I'm talking about just plain 'ol old age here.

Whereas with the goldwing, I'd get it brand new for about 19k, and that'll include all the features I wanted to put on the FJR, plus a 7 year warranty.

Basically, IF money wasn't an object, it'd be the goldwing. But if I want to be stingy, yet still have a bike that'll last a few more years (let's say about six?), would the FJR make it?

Thanks.

I know I am jumping in late on this. I had Goldwing (02) and a DL 650 (V-Strom 04) in the garage. Just happened on the FJR with a great offer and manged to move the Strom so I took the deal on the FJR. My girlfriend and I have over 65 thousand miles together on the Wing. Went and took her for a ride in the FJR and she is very happy, I will be adding some kind of intercom. They are two different beast, the wing while having more than enough power and is fun in the twisty roads is certainly not I REPEAT IT IS NOT A FJR. I rode the FJ to Daytona and it was so hard not to get a massive speeding ticket. I know the back roads here and I know that my day to day ride is the FJ. Longer trips and two up we will be on the Wing; no doubt that I am spoiled! But if I had just one bike to keep, without hesitation ...................FJR.

Alexi

OR . . .

Thanks.

Alexi

OR . . .

Thanks.

Alexi

If money is not an issue I would dump the bike that sat for all this time and get the wing. When bikes sit things go wrong and it may be nothing or it may be all the time. With a new wing you get all those years of warranty with a new machine.

AlexiIf money is not an issue I would dump the bike that sat for all this time and get the wing. When bikes sit things go wrong and it may be nothing or it may be all the time. With a new wing you get all those years of warranty with a new machine.
Huh? :blink: Say what?

Do you have some direct first hand experience to back up that assertion?

Or are you just regurgitating something that you heard someone else say?

What possible harm is there in letting a bike sit for a year or two? Assuming, of course, that it has been properly stored and not sitting outside the whole time. I mean, I know tires will dry rot if left too long, but the bike is only an '03, so it's not there yet.

PS - note proper quote trimming. Makes it a lot easier to follow the thread. ;)

An FJR is a poor substitute for a Gold Wing, if that is the kind of riding you are into. By that I mean point A to point B, 2-up slab TOURING on interstates.

But a Gold Wing is an even poorer substitute for an FJR, if that is the kind of riding you are into. By that I mean SPORT touring on twisty secondary roads.

FWIW, I only ride on interstates when I have no other choice. For that kind of TOURING, I'd just as soon take a cage.
I will second that, there is nothing more boring and tiring than slab riding. Even if it take a couple of hours longer on the secondaries you get off in the evening feeling better and with a lot bigger smile

See if you can test ride a wing for a day.

Only you can say what you prefer. I tried the Wing after owning a ST1100 and found it too much like a car. The ST1300 may be a better fit, I found it too hot and bulky. After the ST1100 the ST13 felt huge, nice weather protection though.

I'm pretty happy with the FJR, I checked out a R1 at work and I was very happy to get back on my FJR, love the comfort, luggage and speed. Nice wind shield options and I can keep up with my sport bike buddies and then ride home another few hundred miles with a smile.

Ride what fits you.

My advice is simple

Keep what you have ,fit an Autocom system ,try an airhawk with a sheepskin over it . Learn to pack less ( no need for a bigger top box ) .

Next time you have a chance hire a wing for 3 days ride by yourself one day , then with girlfriend, then yourself . I know what will happen girlfriend will want Goldwing ,your will want to keep FJR . If by chance girlfriend likes the FJR more or is just as happy with it MARRY her . (Pre Nup required )

If you plan on long trips, often, with a passenger then the wing would be much more comfortable. For normal riding and solo trip I'd put my money or lack there of on the FJR. Is she used to riding? If not try the FJR first to se how she does with moderate trips. Nothing worse than buying a bike for passenger comfort, then finding out the passenger does not like riding.

I own both bikes. I have an '06 Wing and a '08 FJR. We're comparing apples and oranges here. Both bikes are very capable machines and both have their positives and negatives and their place in the motorcycle worlds. If I had to get rid of one of them though I'd have to say the FJR would be the one to go. The Yami is a FUN bike especially in the twisties for a couple hours or so. After that, I'm looking to get off as I don't find it a particularly comfortable bike to sit on for any great length of time.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older (47) or maybe I just enjoy a more leisurely ride than I did during the craziness of my youth. The Wing is a very capable bike which unfortunately has a misguided rap from non Wing owners of being only for the geriatric crowd. That's a real shame because it's a well balanced and nimble bike with power and torque to spare. It's not just a slab riding machine that some believe as it's a blast in the canyons too. Mine has the Traxx suspension giving it a little stiffer ride and handles better in the twisties. Anyone who thinks it's an oversized pig should watch Yellow wolf YouTube video ride his Wing at Deals Gap.

Yea, I know, I had to spend extra money to get the Wing as maneuverable as the stock FJR. Point is, I got it there and now I have a great touring machine with the wife plus a very competent solo canyon carver when the mood hits me. The FJR is a great bike. It has a sexy look and looks fast just sitting in the garage. It begs to be ridden fast and hard. It's basically a "Busa with bags. It is scary fast with just a small grip twist and it's speed and power can be intoxicating. Unfortunately, none of those traits really appeals to me anymore the way they did in my much younger years. For me, the FJR tends to just sit in the garage while I spend most of my riding time on the Wing. I have nothing but good things to say about the FJR, it's just not my ultimate choice in bikes. I guess I have the best of both worlds though. I don't have to wonder what the other rides like or which one I would prefer since I own both.

Scary fast? That the FJR is not IMHO.... youre getting old. :nerd:

Try a sport bike like a CBR1000R, or a 1198S.... Those are scary fast. Wacking the throttle wide open on my 07 FJR is just fun... :whistle:

I love the the roll on the FJR has, but if your going two up have you tried out a BMW 1200RT? I love those for two up. They are so much lighter than a Wing. Probably will need more service but, the RT is fun to ride solo or two up. YMMV

Oh please... the BMW boxer (R1200RT) is a freaking tractor engine compared to any of the other choices. If I was looking at a Bimmer it would have to be the K1300GT. But then there's that whole expense thing. And the (lack of) reliability.

Oh please... the BMW boxer (R1200RT) is a freaking tractor engine compared to any of the other choices. If I was looking at a Bimmer it would have to be the K1300GT. But then there's that whole expense thing. And the (lack of) reliability.

Well the RT is a good two up ride.... and its not a wing. :tomato:

I've got a friend who has a Wing and I've spent enough time on it to completely respect it for what it is. The problem is, what it is, isn't me. While I've certainly throttled back a touch in the last few years, I still have my days. Actually, where as I rode my first FJR more like a sportbike, I think I now use both the "sport" and "tour" aspects of the bike pretty evenly. And although I dislike having to be on the Interstate as much as some others here have mentioned, if I MUST be on it, I'd still rather it was on my FJR.

As far as the 20k miles on a 6 or 7 year old bike, no sweat. Even though it wasn't anywhere as complex a bike, untill I bought my 03 FJR, I had been riding V-65 Magnas all over the Western US. I had several of them, the last one was an 86 with a lot more than 20k on the clock. Never had a problem.

The other thing is the extended and overall ease of needed maintenance. Less time maintaining means more time riding. In this department, for a large road bike, the FJR is pretty hard to beat.

I'd say keep the Feejer..
Even farkled to death your pocket book will thank you!!

Besides...

The FJR is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles...

It can do so many different things well, and yet still do so many of them great!!

Why change? You only gots 20,000 miles on your drive train...

Thats still getting broke in!!

WW
Right, on all of the above. I have nearly ALL of the farkles that I need on my '05 for a nearly "perfect bike for me" ride. I actually "think" that "if" I buy another FJR, it will be another '05 with fewer miles on it, so I can just roll my Gen 1 farkles over to it.

Me likes Galaxy Blue!

'05 FJR 1300a "The Blue Ox" has 45000+ miles on it, and it IS just starting to sweeten! :yahoo:

As far as the 20k miles on a 6 or 7 year old bike, no sweat. Even though it wasn't anywhere as complex a bike, untill I bought my 03 FJR, I had been riding V-65 Magnas all over the Western US. I had several of them, the last one was an 86 with a lot more than 20k on the clock. Never had a problem.
Several V65 refugees here. I loved that bike. If only Honda had kept making them the way Yamaha kept making the VMax, I'd still be riding a V65. Once Honda stopped making spare parts for the V65, I sold it to a guy who flew to LA from Utah to ride it home. Bike's got a following.

But what a whoop to first ride an 06 FJR and feel the 20+ years of technological change between the 84 V65 and the 06 FJR.

Several V65 refugees here. I loved that bike. If only Honda had kept making them the way Yamaha kept making the VMax, I'd still be riding a V65. Once Honda stopped making spare parts for the V65, I sold it to a guy who flew to LA from Utah to ride it home. Bike's got a following.

But what a whoop to first ride an 06 FJR and feel the 20+ years of technological change between the 84 V65 and the 06 FJR.
Well I might bas well put in my 2 cents since I'll probable be bood of the board,I have an 02 Gl1800 with 149,678 miles and had a 04 FJR which was 300lbs lighter than the wing and had 99,697 miles when I sold it on ebay thursday for 3,050.00 ask any of the old timers like MADMIKE2 they will tell you that it was farkled out for long distance rideing, Like San Deigo CaTo Jacksonville Fla in 38 nhrs with a 6 hr nap in Bay Town Tx. which was our 1500 mile BBG Bun Burner Gold (IBA) made all FJR ralleys from 02--07 that is #2 its the best all around bike you ever ride.

PS I sold it to buy a Dual Sport KLR 650

rogerfjrfaster