SoCal maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
Thought I would mention this to the SoCal gang. I just signed up for another 3 years prepaid maintenance, unlimited mileage, "bumper to Bumper"style, for $1500. Everything is included, except tires. They go by the Yamaha maintenance schedule and do all the required stuff. I just had a major tune-up and it would have cost me nearly $600 but all was for free again. I didnt even renew the Yamaha YES warranty because for that I had to have a Factory rider come over and ride my bike before they would approve any warranty repair. With this, from Magaw (sp) the engine could fall out and they would replace it without question. It just dosnt cover crashing, obviously, but I thought this was a good deal. I have had it already, since 2005 and was surprised that they would gladly renew it for me, another 3 years til 2011. Again, this is with unlimited mileage, and transferable if I sell the bike.

Anyone out there have this too? What do you think?

Got it at Corona Yamaha, Corona, CA.

I didnt even renew the Yamaha YES warranty because for that I had to have a Factory rider come over and ride my bike before they would approve any warranty repair.
Eh? Where did you get that particular piece of misinformation?

If it's worth it to you, then be happy.

Most have not had good things to say about 3rd party warranties. Dealers offer them for one simple reason - profit. Getting the 3rd party warranty company to cover stuff can be a hassle. And getting a dealer to deal with a 3rd party warranty can be a hassle. I personally would never go with a 3rd party warranty or a service aggreement, but that's me. I did buy the 4 year Y.E.S. for $389 way back when on my 04 FJR, and it has paid for itself many times over on the 3 warranty repairs I have had. And no 'factory test rider' required.

As for the service aggreement, I do all my own stuff except for the valve check - the FJR goes to the dealer for that. Not only do I enjoy doing the work, but my experiences with dealers, many dealers, is that I do a better and more consciencentious job than they do. So $1500 over 3 years is way too much for me. And I don't have to worry about them screwing stuff up.

Now is yours a warranty? Or service agreement? Or both?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt even renew the Yamaha YES warranty because for that I had to have a Factory rider come over and ride my bike before they would approve any warranty repair.
I do all my own stuff except for the valve check - the FJR goes to the dealer for that. Not only do I enjoy doing the work, but my experiences with dealers, many dealers, is that I do a better and more consciencentious job than they do

I agree.. I have had some bad experirnces with the LAZY techs at shops. I dont think the dealer is bad. But they let their techs run rampant.

Example.. I had my bike in two seperate times to two seperate dealers and asked them to check the stearing head bearings. Both said they did. I checked them after Both said they did and they were loose..

Sloppy.. I am sure they were told to, but did not.

I change my own tires too after having it done two times. Both times I had to pull them and rebalance them as they did not ride smooth at "speed" within the speed limit of course, on a closed course, with a professional driver.. (Miller Motosports Park Track Day, I never break the law on the streets <_< )

They call it Dealer Direct. Prepaid service agreement. I have had way more then $1500 in service in the last 3 years and all has been smoothe. I figure the next 3 years will see more things wearing out so I signed up again. I dont have time to be wrenching on the FJR these days, due to a busy work schedule, so I appreciate the good work at my dealer in Corona, CA. I dont know if this is specific to this particular Yamaha shop or if it can be done elswhere. That is why the original post was put in the California/ SoCal information area initially.

Someday I would like to be able to do all of the maintenance on the FJR but that is why I get on the FJRForum and learn as I go. I have done some installs of farkles on my own and have a great time relaxing doing this. I am a "do it yourself'er". I greatly appreciate all of the knowledge and experience that many FJR guys have and unselfishly share. I just thought I would share this info because this plan lets me worry about my own career, be a Dad and Husband, and still get out for some good rides as often as possible, with the maintenance done. I'm still learning though.

Extended warranties can be good for the right price. Service contracts, I'm not so sure. I believe you have a service contract. If you want the dealer or whom ever to do your service, and you feel it's a fair price, you're good to go. ;)

I did the 3-year unlimited service plus 3rd party warranty. Never used the warranty, but did okay $$-wise on the services (48K miles in 3 years, including 3 of the "big" 16K services and one valve check). I also happened to luck into buying the package at the premier(e?) Yamaha shop in the area, so no horror stories about techs scratching things up or forgetting to tighten bits down.

Now that I've had the plastic off a couple of times, I'm not sure I'd do it again - this bike makes oil changes a breeze and I dug deep enough under the gas tank (while stopping a coolant leak) to see how easy it is to get to the throttle bodies for synching.

They offered it to me too, I passed. Didn't want to be locked in to that particular dealer, I do minor stuff like oil and lube changes myself, I take good care of my stuff, and it just didn't sound like a good deal factoring in time value of money and the possibility of specials being available at dealers at certain times. For example, their most basic package included only the 600 mile service for $160. I did the oil and lube change myself and ended up paying $99 for the rest of the 600 mile service. If they wanted me to commit to their dealership for my service needs for years to come, it would have to be a much more appealing offer than what they put in front of me. But I never go for the upsells at dealerships anyway (no 3M invisible braws, LoJack, laser scamblers, undercoat protection, tire warranties or gap coverage for me!). Only thing I negotiated was a 5 year YES warranty for $450 on my 07, worth it to me just for the peace of mind.