Soft Bag for rear rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHS

Reaction score
I am looking for a rear bag that will mount on the factory rack... I have looked at several, but the problem is all of them are only featured on cruiser style bikes. I want something large enough to be useful, but not too stupid either. I just don't like top boxes, and I am not interested in spending $400 for a GIVI setup. It really will only be used for longer camping and touring trips, otherwise the side bags and a small dry bag will suffice just fine. Oh' and I would like the ability to keep my passenger seat available...

As I say, I have checked out a number of soft luggage bags, but none are shown on a sport touring bike... Except one, and it recommended putting the mounting straps around the turn signal arms... So any advise and especially with pics would be appreciated!

I have a Nelson Rigg Survivor that I like very much. It comes with its own tie-down straps, is completely waterproof (so far) and it looks appropriate on the bike. It is as large or as small as it needs to be since the top of it rolls down to close. They come in two sizes, a 40 liter and and a 70 liter. $80 and $109 respectively.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/tail-bags/adventure-dry-bag-detail.html

Here it is about fully expanded:

There are many options out there, take a look at the Tourmaster/Cortech website for just a few other ideas. Also, Wolfman makes some excellent stuff.

Thanks redfish. Do you think it would mount ok on the rack?
Are you asking about the plastic OEM rear tail? If so, that is a sorry excuse for a rack. Too thin, too short, and nowhere to strap stuff. Many here have gone with a rack from Garauld, or Premier Cycle Accessories. I have the PCA rack that came with a back rest, and I strap almost whatever I want on the rack.

There is a good looking rack in the classifieds right now, but getting a back rest gives you another point to strap to. Once you have a decent rack and a backrest, you can buy any bag you like, as strapping it down is easy. I have an old cheap Dowco bag in should have trashed a few years ago, but it keeps working and it's easy to strap onto the rack.

All my opinion of course.

Depends on the size of your rack...
rolleyes.gif

I only threw that one out there because it works for me, I STRONGLY recommend you shop around a bit.

This bag comes with four tie downs and I use some soft straps to extend the front two down to my passenger footpeg brackets. Picking up some of those soft straps with the loop on each end greatly enhances the versatility of any tie down system, it just opens up so many options.

I had an excellent Cortech duffle but it required a "rain cover". That cover blew off somewhere in Alabama and there was no going back for a recovery.

Digging through my photo archives now...

You can barely see a very worn, faded, and now discontinued Nelson Rigg Duffel on Dad's bike in the background.

Before the FJR and the top box:

Here both the Survivor and the Cortech (the top box is great for touring BTW, this kind of sucked)

From all my searching, I am thinking I may have to get a new rack... and then I might as well just get a hard box. Found lots of elcheapos available, so maybe that is what I must do. And I will definitely check out the rack in the classifieds.

Thanks again!

The top box option is a bit pricey but may be worth it. I do not like the way they look on the bike, it makes the FJR look more like a GoldWing and takes away the sporty look. They are extremely useful though. You mentioned needing to keep the passenger seat available, backrests are available for the top box and that may help you.

I have seen the rear rack on 'Zilla's FJR and it works very well. That gives you lots of versatility. I like the rack because the bike still looks sporty. It is also less costly.

A good Givi top box setup with the SR357 is going to be over $400. I don't care for the look but I use mine a lot. Pop kept saying he did not want one and when I forced it on him, he NEVER takes it off his bike.

No wrong answers here, try one for a while and if you wish to add the top box later, you have lost nothing. Good luggage racks like the one from Garauld never last long in the classified section here.

After reviewing the different ideas, I like the thought of a new rack and then I will get probably get the Wolfman large duffle and be set. I am already planning a trip to AK for 2017, plus this years adventures, so this type of setup should meet all my needs while still allowing me to keep the clean sport touring look the rest of the time.

As far as a passenger, there are only a few times that will be necessary, so that is not a huge concern as I mostly travel solo and alone. I guess if I meet me a woman that want's to travel then I will cross that bridge at that time... Something I learned a long time ago, buy for what you plan on doing most of the time, that way you won't be disappointed most of the time!

I couldn't understand what the tourist taking the pic said, but I think he liked my set-up too.
smile.png

I was sight seeing in this pic.

I have a really big Ortlieb bag that I strap on the pillion seat to carry more stuff and serve as a backrest in travel.

20150908_111152-1_zpslpax1yhx.jpg

Not many soft bag options out there that will work on the pathetic stock rear rack.

As far as bags go, MotoFizz from Aerostich are a quality piece and work well with a larger rack or the passenger seat.

Happy hunting!

--G

Wanna get really hillbilly? Brother-in-law borrowed a Moto Fiz I think and with the stock rack it drooped on both ends and began to obscure signal lights. We stopped at a Safeway and spied their grocery cart wrecking yard, appropriated a piece and with a few zip ties had a very functional, expanded rear rack that carried the large bag well. Improvisation... But I can be parsimonious (cheap) and when I wanted an expanded rack for my V-Strom, went to a restaurant supply store and bought I think a 12 x 16 stainless cooling rack. I believe I spent $12.50. It went right on in 10 minutes using some longer bolts and fender washers. Plenty of handy places to attach bungies. We use an expandable First Gear textile tail pack with built in attachment cords. Yep, hillbilly but really cheap and very functional. We'll probably eventually get a hard top case for the Strom.

I'm for the Garauld tail rack to replace the stock plastic thing, which is useless, as others have said. Garauld's can be bought with or without a removable back rest, but with a bag strapped on the back, the bag itself works well as a back rest. A recent thread discussed a lot of bag options that can be strapped down on the rack or back seat if you can find it. There are good, waterproof, and inexpensive options--lots of them.

Zipper bags don't even need to be cut. If somebody forces the tip of a ball point pen anywhere between the teeth of any zipper he can open it up as easy as he can with no lock at all. Don't count on any zip-up bag for security.

As far as security, while soft bags and zippers are pretty easy almost any hard case, even most of the metal ones, can be opened with a regular screwdriver in just about the same amount of time... So the reality is, locks are really just more of a minor deterrent from the opportunity thief, the old adage "out of sight, out of mind" is what is really working.