Soft bags on top of side cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
I did a search using the forum function and Google , but all I got was an old thread about camping on the FJR.

The FJR side cases are small for two-up for more than a week . I bought 2 stuff sacks /Lomo) which I want to mount on top of the side cases;How do I fix them? I'm thinking of using the mounting hooks where the side bags fix to the frame as anchor points using Rok straps, but this doesn't seem too secure. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I got a snowboard with boots to stay on there just fine at 70mph+, so bags should be easy. You might want to get the trunk mount plate for the OEM touring trunk as it gives good points to secure straps and doesn't cost that much.

P1020124_zps336c7dd2.jpg

SEsbMp.jpg

Did that snowboard provide any lift? :)

I have pondered the same question in regards to stuff on top of the side bags. Seems nice place to carry a tent on one side and a camping chair on the other side. I know most strap this across the back seat. That would require me to give up the smuggler and put the back seat on. I would want the smuggler as its access is nice on all trips particularly long ones. I have seen images where people have added what appear to be drawer pulls to pelican cases to tie things down. I could certainly do that but it puts more weight on the back, even though I have a stiffy kit installed I like to keep that weight down. If I am attaching drawer pulls I would put some large fender washers on the inside of the case to spread the stress of the tightening strap. As usual probably over thinking this. Carry on.

I used to travel some big trips 2-up when I first got the FJR. I used small/medium cylinder drybags, that would lay front to back on the sidecase. 1 Rokstrap attached to the passenger grabrails, and then wrapped around the center of the bag. Tail of the strap I would run through the D ring on the bag, and attach to a carabiner down on the frame near the passenger footpeg. It acted as a safety tether, and also to keep the bag from flopping. The size of the bag was perfect for my pillon to use as arm rests. (She was tiny, lol) I can find a picture somewhere, if you need further visual instructions.

As I said, I'll be riding two-up, so I can't strap anything across the back seat. I was thinking of the hooks on the side cases as anchor points,because the dry bags have loops at either end of the carrying handle. the idea is to use 2 Rok Straps for each dry bag , but FJRfarrier's suggestion looks interesting. Thanks.

BTW. Which Rok strap should I get?. The number of different types is confusing.

I ride solo so rear seat is available for packing for me. On a different bike, Buell S2T model, I used the bungie buddies though and had great success with them. Installed properly the bags don't leak and they provide a great spot to tie down to.

Get a decent sized touring trunk (not the Yamaha one). That will also serve as both a backrest for your passenger and a shared storage space for all of those things you need quick access to while out on the road every day, like jacket liners, extra gloves, rain gear, etc. We also manage to fit a netbook PC, wifey's iPad, and a refillable, liter sized bottle of hooch in there.

Each of you gets one side bag for your actual clothes and personal effects. Learn how to pack to make it count. Make a few shorter 2-3 days trips to figure out what you need if you can. You'll find that what you need is one pair of pants or shorts and one pair of shoes for off the bike, and a whole slew of underwear tops and bottoms and socks for while on the bike. Most of your days you'll be dressed in riding gear all day, so those other clothes only get worn for a very short time, right after you take a shower at the hotel and collapse into bed.

You probably don't really need at least half of the stuff that you think you do at first, but you won't really know until you give it a dry run and try it.

We've done 2 week, two up trips with just the two side bags and a V46 (46 liters) trunk. It is really no hardship, and it's less junk to have to worry about.

Your biggest challenge will be convincing SWMBO that she doesn't really need all of the crap they get used to using every day at home. Just tell her you love the way she looks au naturale!

Last edited by a moderator:
For our long trips, the missus fabricated two denim bags to hold our rain suits. The denim bags have 6" wide stretch fabric loops to secure them to the side luggage.

I should mention that one change we made to reduce the amount of detritus we needed to carry was to move to all day wearable riding gear that is also waterproof.

It isn't the cheapest way to go, but it certainly the most convenient. There have been times we were tooling along on a fine day and the weather changed from sunny and pleasant to gray and rainy in a matter of a few minutes. The ability to just zip up your vents while rolling along and not having to stop to don rain gear is so comforting, plus it saves you from having to do the roadside rain gear dance, or find places to store the wet and crumpled rain gear after the fact. (finding space for the dry, clean rain gear isn't as much of a problem)

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Rok strap should I get?. The number of different types is confusing.
Get the big ones. You can make them shorter, but you can't make the little ones longer. Big ones are stronger, too.

Those bungee buddies can be useful if you need more tie down points, but another advantage of the longer Rok Straps is you can reach farther around to find places you can use.

I do a lot of tour camping as I can't afford bed bug motels. I carry all the gear to be self sufficient for weeks. Both solo and with my girlfriend. My back ground as mountaineer helps me with equipment choices to be at the minimum (size and weight) but to still being comfortable. Solo no problem. Two up, even with the Yamaha trunk is tight. The problem for me is the space the sleeping bags take. So I purchased the waterproof Cascade Baja bags to mount on top of the side cases. I use the 2 sizes of Rok straps to secure the bags.

I find the rear licence plate frame and the upper arms the muffler mounts (close to the seat) as workable attachment points. Pronghorn straps may be a good strap to try for even greater security.

Shout out to Mark at Moto-Kafe.smugmug.com for the cheapest price on Rok straps that I could find. No affiliation just got great service.

As I said, I'll be riding two-up, so I can't strap anything across the back seat. I was thinking of the hooks on the side cases as anchor points,because the dry bags have loops at either end of the carrying handle. the idea is to use 2 Rok Straps for each dry bag , but FJRfarrier's suggestion looks interesting. Thanks.BTW. Which Rok strap should I get?. The number of different types is confusing.
I have 2 of the bungie buddies mounted on either side of the license plate holder, slightly above, and makes great tie down points for the rear rack area.

This from NAFO 08. My daughter and I rode 2 up for 3 weeks like this. Dry bag on each side case and an extra tank bag strapped to the top case..

This is what you do when you get serious.

For the side bags, I use the smaller Rok straps. I think they were about 1 inch wide, and maybe 40 inches long?

I also have the bigger Rok straps- thicker and longer. I use them for many things as well.

Get all of them. Get multiples. You'll use them. lol

Here was my set-up....

bag%202_zpsxi9skqxm.jpg

oh, that was so long ago. lol. Still had 30-day tags on the bike. Things have changed quite a bit since then... but I would still pack like that if I needed to.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I understand correctly , the dry bags are not tied to the side cases. Is that right?