soft, or hard?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMtnWay

Reaction score
I'm riding solo, but with a full load - should I set the FJR suspension to hard, or keep it at soft? Saddlebags & full trunk full w/additional duffel on the back seat.

Got about 40lbs pressure in front/rear tires, brand new rubber.

Thanks

Agree, I keep it hard all the time. I do get light-headed once in a while, but hard it is!

Good question Rock, I've wondered about that myself. I usually have it on soft when it's just me and the bump it up when wifey goes. I only have 1500 miles on mine I'm sure someone else here could inform you better than I. But you mite want to give them an idea of what you weigh. Just to compare I weigh 275 the SO 115. Personally I've tried both setting with just me on the bike and to tell you truth I really don't notice much difference, but then I can't feel a pea under my mattress either. Stan

are you 150, or 350 pounds. That makes a difference too. I often switch around my preload depending on the load, and the condition of the road. Often, I set it softer when I have my pillion as she gets more of a beating at the end of the subframe than I do being on top of the pivot of the swingarm.

Therefore, I often set it to hard when solo, softer when with passenger (but I have an aftermarket shock so it's a bit different, but the concept is the same).

If you want maximun performance then load up and check the sag like you did when setting up your suspension. (What do you mean you forgot? :unsure: ) Its not guess work, its Physics. Get someone to help you that knows how to set the sag. Then worry about the damping knobs.

Although, if you are not going to measure, drive behind a bus or truck and see if your headlight spot jumps up and down as you go over the dips and bumps. When the suspension is set up right, on mine, I can tell that the spot is very steady.

Get someone to help you that knows how to set the sag.
Can't set the sag on the FJR. And not many 'knobs' to fool around with: 'soft' & 'hard' preload, and rebound damping. Pretty lame, huh?

As far as hard or soft, wish there were at least 3 settings, since those 2 are too soft or too hard for my 155 lbs (always ride solo). Soft is fine on the highway, but pegs start dragging right away in the twisties. Hard is fine for the twisties, but ride is too darn jarring; any little bump literally lifts my butt off the seat. Forgot to reset it back to soft after the twisties, and had to stop on the highway to take care of that due to kidney pain. And no, can't be done on the fly; I tried.

After that trip, significantly cranked the rebound hoping to improve the soft setting in the twisties; will test it on my next trip to the mountains. It's a PITA to be changing back and forth. On tours, hope I can tolerate the 'hard' setting with the bags on. Take care.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can set the "sag" on the FJR. You have mess around with your fork spacers, but you can do it!

Keep mine soft unless I'm loaded or whittling away at the chicken strips. It's a real kidney-jarring experience -- even on the smoothest slab -- if I forget to go soft afterwards. FWIW, I tip the scales at a svelt 210 lbs.

I find the ride is FAR more enjoyable with the SOFT option, so I stick to that unless I'm carrying pillion.

When I had my '05, the 'soft' setting sufficed untill I got some miles on the bike. Then, it appeared weaken and I kept the setting on 'hard' thereafter.