soft, or hard?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only time I ever used the soft setting was during my highway riding down to TN. To tell you the truth, I didn't really notice much difference. I did however, forget to set it to hard when I arrived at deals gap. My first run down the gap was on soft, and I was dragging my pegs like a madman! I thought I was the shit, until I realized it was set to soft.... :headbonk:

Definately noticed the difference between soft and hard in the twisties, but not so much on the slab.

The only things we prefer 'soft' are ice cream and landings... :)

Get someone to help you that knows how to set the sag.
Can't set the sag on the FJR. And not many 'knobs' to fool around with: 'soft' & 'hard' preload, and rebound damping. Pretty lame, huh?

Fluid Suspensions owner would argue about that. He helped me set the correct sag on my 2007. The bike rides a bit more firm, but the handling is outstanding! The rear, set to hard, still required one more click on the rear shock to set the correct sag.

Setting the sag is done by adjusting the preload on the springs. The goal is to get the bike to rest in the center of the suspension travel with you and your usual riding gear onboard.

Dampening adjustments can be useful to control ride quality. Too much will make the bike ride really stiff. Too little and you'll have a 600lb pogo-stick.

If you want to do it right, set the sag for solo rides on soft. Then you can use the hard setting for two-up or loaded riding.