Solar Tank Bag by Nelson Rigg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Researching tank bags and found this.....https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/20224/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Solar-SLR-10-Touring-Tank-Bag.aspx. The big question is how well does the solar panel work and will it be a good fit for our bikes (especially ones with Heli triple tree and risers like mine).

That's . . . . . . . . pricey!

I've been thinking of something along these lines, and just put them in the map window of the 100-dollar bag I already have, which is about the same size as that 250-dollar bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking of something along these lines, and just put them in the map window if the 100-dollar bag I already have, which is about the same size as that 250-dollar bag.
Oh man, what a cool little project. I think I'll give that one a shot.

I rigged one up for my iphone works great. A whole lot less than that bag for sure. Think i got about $60 in it. Thinking of doing a bigger one on the top of the top case.

Josh

Am looking at puttin ne on top of a pelican box that I am going to mount to the tail. Plumb in power for laptop, camera etc charging. Run a wire under the seats to the tank bag for cell phone charging or whatever.

Am looking at puttin ne on top of a pelican box that I am going to mount to the tail. Plumb in power for laptop, camera etc charging. Run a wire under the seats to the tank bag for cell phone charging or whatever.

Exactly. What panel were you thinking of? I was figuring somesort of light weight battery aswell.

Is this what thread hi-jacking is ???

Josh

I picked up a 20 watt panel that is the same size as the lid on the pelican case that I use as a top box. I had intended to use it to charge lap top via an inverter or to have the ability to charge a dead motorcycle battery. Still may do that but it is heavy, has a rigid aluminum frame that if I was rear ended would rip me up pretty bad and worst of all has a glass cover that may or may not be tempered.

There are flexible solar panels available but they are very pricey and so far I have yet to find one that is the right dimensions to work for what I have in mind.

If you take the ability to charge a dead motorcycle battery out of the equation you could get by with a lot less panel. but im weird like that.

Okay. Let me play the devil's advocate: So what happens when you ride in the clouds and rain for several days straight?

And why would you want to go through the relatively large expense of a solar panel when you already have an electric generator with spare output running down 'tween your legs?

Just wire your tank bag into the bike's 12V and you're pretty much good to go.

The solar panel can be charging a phone (or other device) that's locked somewhere on the bike, while you sit and stuff your face in an eatery.

The video I linked is specific to 5V USB devices, and they take less space than the car adapters, since you lay them flat in the map pocket. And those solar-powered yard lights are a dime a dozen, because they were trash. The solar cells are good, but the lights themselves were trash, and they're being dumped all over the place. Multiple cells for a few bucks, then.

And cloudy light is still light. They work.

If you're willing to leave it out in the open, subject to pilfer-edge, I'd still leave my devices charging off the bike's battery when I'm stuffing my face, if I needed to. In fact my standard MO is to leave my tank bag plugged into the direct wired powerlet plug, so any phone, the starcom1 and RD as well as the GPS are all being powered off the bike battery. They have such a puny draw, an hour or more is not an issue.

But, I guess my dealio isn't as "green" as those groovy solar cells... :rolleyes:

You could probably cover then entire windscreen with solar panels. Unless you like to look through it once in a while.

I took my favorite tankbag and went to Powerlett to purchase their Luggage Electrix. It works perfectly and powers my ipod, my phone and my camera batteries while I am riding. I was even thinking about powering my top case so I can charge my laptop when I am riding too.

The Powerlet system is a good one, albeit a bit pricey when bought from them. Still, much less expensive than buying an electrified tank bag from Bags Connection.

Their system is essentially an SAE 2-pin bulkhead connector and the appropriate SAE cables. SAE connections have the advantage of being highly weather resistant. They are the same pins as used on 4-wire trailer lighting connectors and you know the kind of slop that those are subjected to (think boat trailers). It's also the type of connector that is used on battery tenders and 12V air pumps, so the battery power connections installed on the bike can have multiple uses.

You can find the SAE 2-pin connectors (for very little money) all over the place. Here's a prior thread that discusses a few options: clicky

The Powerlet system is a good one, albeit a bit pricey when bought from them. Still, much less expensive than buying an electrified tank bag from Bags Connection.
Their system is essentially an SAE 2-pin bulkhead connector and the appropriate SAE cables. SAE connections have the advantage of being highly weather resistant. They are the same pins as used on 4-wire trailer lighting connectors and you know the kind of slop that those are subjected to (think boat trailers). It's also the type of connector that is used on battery tenders and 12V air pumps, so the battery power connections installed on the bike can have multiple uses.

You can find the SAE 2-pin connectors (for very little money) all over the place. Here's a prior thread that discusses a few options: clicky
The SAE connector on my bike is used to charge my battery when the bike is sitting in the garage and to add air pressure when I am road side. For longer ride it plugs right into my tankbag. I was a little concerned about water leaking in when when it is raining around the holes were drilled in my tankbag so I used some weather proofing just to be safe. LINK

PTB-004_p_168_webl.jpg

I'll slightly revive this thread; prices for some of that stuff has dropped and there are loads of alternatives. I bought this today from an online retailer. "Premium Solar Charger - Ultra Thin Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones, iPhone, iPod, and Most USB Powered Device - Also Includes Built-in LED Reading Light and Window / Windshield Suction Cups - $29.99" I don't have it yet, but my plan is to put it in the map pocket of my tank bag and charge my phone with it. Either leaving it on the bike or something...

I might still build that DIY solution just to say I did it and see if it works with my HTC Incredible and maybe the mp3 player...

One less wallcharger to pack on a long-distance ride...