Some 07's Not Affected By Ignition Switch Recall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Seller of my 07 FJR tells me that Yamaha told him that the ignition switch recall did not affect his particular bike. Were there some 07's not affected?

I saw that. It states all 07's are affected. Dealer told my seller otherwise.
You did? Then are you inclined to believe the dealer OR a Yamaha Technical Bulletin pushed by NHTSA and significantly characterized down by this forum? ;)

It may be that it was fixed. You check the VIN for the stamp, a yellow tag on the harness, or the dealer the database that it was fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going by this:

There is an ignition switch recall. I have ordered the parts through my dealer(part number 90891-30058-00). It is tech bulletin #M2009-002R. According to Yamaha "Motorcycles that are affected should not be operated until they are modified. It is a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any affected motorcycles to customers until the procedures in this bulletin are performed".

Affected units are:

All 2006 FJR1300A

All 2006 FJR1300AC

All 2006 FJR1300AE

All 2006 FJR1300AEC

All 2007 FJR1300A

All 2007 FJR1300AC

All 2007 FJR1300AE

All 2007 FJR1300AEC

All 2008 FJR1300A

All 2008 FJR1300AC

All 2008 FJR1300AE

All 2008 FJR1300AEC

2009 FJR1300A RP15E-006050~006392

2009 FJR1300AC RP15Y-001047~001108

2009 FJR1300AE RP16E-001560~001736

2009 FJR1300AEC RP16Y-000275~000306

The notice is effective January 29, 2009 and reads:

Dear Yamaha Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 FJR1300A and AE model motorcycles. Our records show that you own the affected motorcycle shown above.

The reason for

this recall:

In affected motorcycles, the main ignition switch’s wire connection could overheat due to electrical resistance,

becoming hot enough to melt the solder connecting the wire to the main switch. The wire could come off the switch if the solder melts, preventing the electrical system from functioning. If this occurs while the motorcycle is being ridden, the engine would stall and be impossible to restart which could result in an accident with injury or death.

What Yamaha

and your dealer

will do:

To correct this defect, affected motorcycles must have the main switch replaced with a new one designed to prevent overheating. Your current key will still work in the new main switch. There will be no charge to you for this procedure. Replacing the main switch takes about 1 hour, but your dealer may need to keep your motorcycle longer depending upon their schedule.

What you should

do now:

Please call your Yamaha dealer to make a service appointment to have this procedure performed. Remember

to take this letter with you when you take in your motorcycle.

You should not ride your motorcycle until this modification is performed.

If you are unable to return to the Yamaha dealer who sold you the motorcycle, this service will be performed by any authorized Yamaha Motorcycle dealer. For the name of a dealer near you, call 1-800-88-YAMAHA or visit the Yamaha web site at: www.yamaha-motor.com.

Federal regulations require that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days.

If you need help:

If, after contacting your dealership, you have questions or concerns which the dealership is unable to answer, please write to:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.

Customer Relations Department

P.O. Box 6555

Cypress CA 90630

or call 1-800-962-7926.

If, after contacting Yamaha Customer Relations, you are still not satisfied that we have done our best to remedy the situation without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington,

DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to https://www.safercar.gov.

If you no longer

own this Yamaha:

If you have sold your motorcycle to another party, please call us toll-free at 1-800-962-7926 with the name and address of the new owner, along with the serial number shown above your name on the address label above.

We’re sorry to cause you any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products. Thank you for giving your attention to this important matter.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Group

Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+

I recently bought a used 07, I'm the third owner. The ignition sw recall had not been done. The local dealer replaced the switch and the ECU. I could not see that the dealer had marked the VIN# or put a tag on the harness. So, I requested a complete copy of the order for the switch and ECU from Yamaha and the work order showing their time charged back to Yamaha for the replacement. I will keep that in my records to be able to prove to a future buyer that the work has been performed.

In your situation, I personally, wouldn't take the dealer's word for it.

Any Yamaha dealer can run your VIN and can with certainty tell you if the FJR in question has any open recall items and provide a list of all recall work that has been done. You may want to ask another dealer to run the VIN and see if the results are better. Every '07 should have been included in the ignition switch recall, if the dealer told you otherwise either the work has been done, or they are incompentent lazy and didn't actually run the VIN.

I've read a few guys on other forums bad mouthing this one. Other than a couple talking some good natured trash, whereby I can give it as well as I get, you guys have been very helpful and welcoming. Not sure what they are talking about